No announcement yet.

4x4 inserts on skis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't care much about the ski model and just want the extra length, perhaps Spruce might be willing to do a custom order of longer E2 or Jr Caddys with the riser inserts.

Another possibility is to do a riser on a riser on a ski. Perhaps you could DYI your own version of the Spruce dyna plates by mounting a 2-3mm aluminum plate onto each ski with standard binding screws, then drill and thread at the 4x10 positions through the plate and skis for M6 inserts to which the Spruce riser would be mounted. You could acquire thicker commercial race plates and attach T nuts in 4x10 positions under them before mounting the plates to skis, but the stand height would be a problem.

Unfortunately not a lot of great options.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. As all these threads seem to end, inserts just seem to be a headache unless factory made.

As I said this is more thinking through the implications at this point, but I love the tinkering nature of this community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Toro View Post
        Thanks for all the replies. As all these threads seem to end, inserts just seem to be a headache unless factory made.

As I said this is more thinking through the implications at this point, but I love the tinkering nature of this community.
        I know it we like to have the convenience of swapping out various skis, longboards and skiboards between just one set of risers, but it does have it's limitations. One, for instance, is the issue if differing board widths and the resultant change in brake widths. I have a pair of 78mm skis and some of our skiboards get as wide as 138mm, requiring 150mm brakes. Of course you can go with leashes, but that negates the convenience of step and go that a rise gives you. Not to mention the issue of having a 170cm ski tethered to you in a fall!

Considering that you can get a quality binding, like the popular Attack 13s off eBay for about $60, and then have it mounted for $20 at your local ski shop, it makes the total cost for a permanent binding less than having any kind of insert system retrofitted. Of course a lot of us on the forum like to find our own DIY solutions, which is priceless in satisfaction, but not so economical in time or actual cost.

Good luck!
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
          .... Considering that you can get a quality binding, like the popular Attack 13s off eBay for about $60, and then have it mounted for $20 at your local ski shop, it makes the total cost for a permanent binding less than having any kind of insert system retrofitted. ....!
          I need to come to your ski shop. The local places here charge at least $50 to mount a binding that was bought elsewhere. The binding mount is free if you bought the binding at the shop but there not selling Attack 13s for $60.
          Boards:
          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
            I need to come to your ski shop. The local places here charge at least $50 to mount a binding that was bought elsewhere. The binding mount is free if you bought the binding at the shop but there not selling Attack 13s for $60.
            For some reason eBay was flooded last year with underpriced Attack 13s. I bought four pair.

We have a very fair ski shop at Snowbowl that steeply discounts it’s services for season pass holders. Come ski here some time, bring all your projects and we’ll get you fixed up[emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
              .... Come ski here some time, bring all your projects and we’ll get you fixed up[emoji106]
              Sounds like a plan .... I need that shop to open a franchise here, my shop sucks but Cherry Hill, NJ isn't much of a ski town being 2 hours away from any mountain. It was a solid shop but is spiraling down hill over the past few seasons.
              Boards:
              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

4x4 inserts on skis

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                Sounds like a plan .... I need that shop to open a franchise here, my shop sucks but Cherry Hill, NJ isn't much of a ski town being 2 hours away from any mountain. It was a solid shop but is spiraling down hill over the past few seasons.
                I think it helps that they don’t have a huge retail presence, so they mainly service the rental fleet, and are happy to do odd jobs for pass holders regardless of where the equipment originated.

Comment

Working...
                X