Sherpa with Tech Binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherpa with Tech Binding

My summer project has been to direct mount a Sherpa with a Dynafit Tech binding for touring . It went well. I was able to get a 4 cm set back, with enough depth of board out back to support regular length screws in the heel piece. Currently there are two types of bindings for backcountry touring locked heel Alpine style . One are called frame bindings with a regular downhill release binding mounted on a frame that then pivots and locks down as needed. Jeff Singer sells a complete set up for the Sherpa using this type of binding mounted on a upside down riser on the inserts in the Sherpa. Both Jeff Singer and I have also successfully mounted frame type touring bindings on the Sherpa . Jeff does recommend reinforcing the screws using fiberglass filler and resin and hardener to get a bomber direct mount . Others here on the forum have also sucessfuly directed mounted regular ski bindings as well as touring bindings on the Sherpa without issues. Although not originally intended for direct mounted bindings it does appear that the Sherpa can be successfully direct mounted especially if some sort of epoxy or fiberglass is used in the screw holes .
    Here is the Sherpa mounted with a Dynafit Tech binding

For those who don't know much about tech bindings here is a video primer.

Use of this binding requires special Alpine touring boots with special inserts in the boot to allow them to work with this type of binding
    Here is my boot in the binding in touring mode

Here is my boot locked and loaded for the descent .

The binding has a nice groove to allow a slide in ski crampon, even at the highest heel elevator level there is excellent crampon penetration :

Overall the Sherpa with binding weighs in at 3 lbs 13 oz per ski or total weight of 7lbs 10 oz
    My Sherpa with Fritshi touring binding on Spruce touring riser weighs in at 6 lbs per ski or 12 lbs total
    so a significant weight saving underfoot !

Eager to try this touring system in the backcountry!
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

That's an interesting binding. I look forward to your bc report.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Binding rip out

This experiment failed. Although I have had good success with direct mounting Fritschi bindings in Sherpas using epoxy reinforced screws. the same method did not provide a secure enough binding mount for the Dynafit bindings. The Dynafits are an unusual binding in that the boot is suspended on little pins attached to a toe and heel piece that insert into metal recesses in a special boot.
      On torture testing this binding off piste at a ski resort , I dropped into a gully very hard in soft snow deeply flexing the ski ,the front piece of the binding pulled straight out of the Sherpa I ejected from the binding with the front piece still attached to my boot and needed to ski down the hill on one ski .
      I would NOT recommend direct mounting Dynafits into the Sherpas . ps . Sherpas were originally intended to be used with inserts and not to be direct mounted although some folks have successfuly done so with regular downhill ski bindings as well as Fritschi AT bindings.
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
        I dropped into a gully very hard in soft snow deeply flexing the ski ,the front piece of the binding pulled straight out of the Sherpa
        Jack, sorry to hear this happened. Making it down on one ski probably wasn't too much fun.

How many screws do the toe pieces on these bindings use? Four? I also wonder exactly what specific part of the connection failed. Did the screws tear loose from the epoxy they were installed with or did a splintery chunk of wood core come out with the screws?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          Jack, sorry to hear this happened. Making it down on one ski probably wasn't too much fun.

How many screws do the toe pieces on these bindings use? Four? I also wonder exactly what specific part of the connection failed. Did the screws tear loose from the epoxy they were installed with or did a splintery chunk of wood core come out with the screws?
          Hi Bill , the front piece uses 5 screws , 4 along the edges and one at the nose . The screws tore loose from the epoxy , no chunks of wood core .
          Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

and what about mounting a tech binding on jeff's riser plate?
            this may seems weird since we want less weight overall using a tech binding
            but it would offer the set back position and the possibility to use such.
            last night i was thinking of carbon riser plates :-) ...

Comment

Originally posted by dcmix View Post
              and what about mounting a tech binding on jeff's riser plate?
              this may seems weird since we want less weight overall using a tech binding
              but it would offer the set back position and the possibility to use such.
              last night i was thinking of carbon riser plates :-) ...
              Sure, you could custom mount a dynafit on a low riser plate, that would work,,
              Slinger did that , see his post
              https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=14981
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Working...
              X