Let me hear your opinion! Help this first time buyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jad13 View Post
    .....First to address poles, i've always skied with poles mainly as a comfort item of something to hold and just have for balance, never really using the poles as they were intended i don't believe haha, so when it comes to skiboards i wasn't sure, maybe carry a pair of collapsible ones in a backpack, i may find i don't ever need them and ditch them all together once finally on a pair of skiboards!
    Poles are a matter of personal preference and have been debated extensively on this forum. In the end you should do what works for you.

A few summary thoughts to add as you consider using or not using poles.

My observations are that poles serve two purposes for normal on piste riding:

1 - While in motion poles serve as a balance and form cue for initiating long turns. Many skiboarders still find this helpful but since skiboards make shorter and usually quicker turns most skiboarders, like me, find poles unnecessary in this function.

2 - While stationary or moving in lift lines poles allow long ski riders to move, stop, and hold a static position easily. With shorter skiboards this is unnecessary as you can "skate" in tight areas with your boards and/or walk/shuffle as you would on snowshoes. The caveat here is this assumes you ski at a resort that has relatively flat lift lines. I have experienced some rough lift loading area where poles might be helpful but I still get by without them.

You do note that poles are "something to hold" I actually enjoy having my hands free to do other things like adjust music tracks on my iPod, grab a snack on the lift, or not worrying about holding on to poles. Also without poles I find I can ski with lighter more comfortable gloves and just tuck my hands in my pockets to warm-up when they get too cold.

Originally posted by Jad13 View Post
    Also the last few times i've managed to rent snowblades they were Head brand and seemed to be wider than the older snowblades but maybe that was my imagination lol
    For reference the Heads are a little wider than most big name "blades" but all of the recommended skiboards above will be noticeably wider.

Head 94cm -- 90mm underfoot
    Revolts -- 110mm underfoot
    Blunt XLs -- 138mm underfoot

If you go with the Blunt XLs you looking at 53% width increase. 22% for the Revolts.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

There are a lot of opinions on this post, but one more cant hurt. I think for someone who is semi-new to the sport, early rise wont help him in the learning curve. the great reviews for the XLs are coming from veteran riders who know the slopes very well. I would personally tell you to look into (in no particular order):

-DLPs for the most stability and maneuverability on the entire mountain

-Condors for the most stability, with some extra width to handle the deepest of pow.

-The revolts (after the DLPs) for all around enjoyment anywhere on the mountain.

The reason I would recommend steering clear of XLs for your first board is that they dont have the same amount of forward and aft stability that you need when becoming comfortable at medium to high speeds on the mountain. once youve ridden for a few more seasons with the ability to control your weight properly, then you can utilize the greatness that is a rockered beast of a skiboard.
      if youve already made a purchase, im more than confident you will like whatever you buy, but if you havent and want to talk more, you could always call SBOL and see what they (he) recommends.
      facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

Originally posted by Davelynam View Post
        There are a lot of opinions on this post, but one more cant hurt. I think for someone who is semi-new to the sport, early rise wont help him in the learning curve. the great reviews for the XLs are coming from veteran riders who know the slopes very well. I would personally tell you to look into (in no particular order):

-DLPs for the most stability and maneuverability on the entire mountain

-Condors for the most stability, with some extra width to handle the deepest of pow.

-The revolts (after the DLPs) for all around enjoyment anywhere on the mountain.

The reason I would recommend steering clear of XLs for your first board is that they dont have the same amount of forward and aft stability that you need when becoming comfortable at medium to high speeds on the mountain. once youve ridden for a few more seasons with the ability to control your weight properly, then you can utilize the greatness that is a rockered beast of a skiboard.
        if youve already made a purchase, im more than confident you will like whatever you buy, but if you havent and want to talk more, you could always call SBOL and see what they (he) recommends.
        Good perspective in my opinion. I love the XL's in the right conditions. They can really tire me out though if the snows not right.
        Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Hi Jad!

Much like yourself, I come predominantly from a skiing background (although I've got almost a decade-and-a-half worth of years on ya ). Had some snowblade experience in the 90s... got into skiboarding in 2013 when I found out about this site through random web browsing. Skiboards handle how I always WANTED skis to!

The Revolts are a good all around board. They were my first pair. HOWEVER, they are too flexible for my liking. I was a very aggressive skier and found that with the shorter length and increased flexibility the Revolts had an edge which just didn't bite the hill hard enough for me to carve and stop how I wanted. In that respect, they're more like snowboards than skis... still a ton of fun but not quite what I'd hoped.

I tried a pair of KTPs and even though they're slightly shorter and thicker (width-wise) I found the increased stiffness to give me a more authoritative edge. Bought a used pair via the Buy | Sell | Trade subforum (in Skiboarding Gear). I also ordered a pair of new Twoowt Crenations from ebay - Twoowt is a Russian company with build quality comparable to Revel8. The Crenations I ordered have size dimensions between Revolts and KTPs, but they're significantly stiffer boards. For $109 shipped I figure it's worth giving them a try since they might be EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

My advice would be to start with Revolts your first season. Use them a LOT (if not exclusively) and really get to feel like you know the boards well. Take note of what you like and dislike about the ride. Pop on the forum here and discuss your findings to figure out what qualities should be different to result in boards which handle the way you want them to. Many riders have a "quiver" of different boards, and most quivers either have or at some point had a pair of Revolts since they're such a good all-mountain option - if you find you want SIGNIFICANTLY different boards you can always sell your old ones on the Buy | Sell | Trade subforum. I've never seen anyone unable to sell their Revolts.

As far as poles go, you almost certainly won't need them. I bought a pair of collapsible poles my first year skiboarding (I went to various resorts in Utah that year, and an ungroomed mountain in Michigan's U.P.) but after a couple runs realized I was carrying them for nothing. Skiboards are so controllable that poles are superfluous - you can simply pedal/"ice skate" to move on zero incline, can very naturally stay balanced since they're so small and light, and being as wide as they are you're much less "tipsy" side-to-side. It seems like a weird notion for us former skiers but poles just get in the way on skiboards. To be on the safe side feel free to bring a pair of normal or collapsible ski poles... I think you'll quickly find that there's no reason for them though. I do see people on 110 cm+ skiboards carrying poles occasionally but I hardly ever see them used.
          Signatures are the online equivalent of an elevator fart. Here's anther one for you: CUPCAKE!

Comment

Working...
          X