Let me hear your opinion! Help this first time buyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me hear your opinion! Help this first time buyer

First of let me start by saying hi! This seems like a pretty welcoming and close knit community with a passion for what they ride and i'm hoping to join in on the fun with finally buying my first set of skiboards this year! (Hopefully when the new 2017 graphics drop which has to be around the corner soon)! First off all the background info you'll need, I'll be 21 in a month, 5'11" 180lbs, I wouldn't say i'm overly athletic anymore but still in shape! My skill level is in the advanced area but i'm still no expert, able to take on most single black diamonds! I started skiing back in upper elementary and instantly fell in love, even with my crippling fear of heights, i knew this was something i wanted to do more off, with a strong hockey skating background the skis felt natural except always unnecessarily long, i was longing to chop them in half and gain some maneuverability, then my local hill started renting out snowblades and i knew i found what i wanted! Fast forward having to work my last 5 winters away and only being able to go out a few times each year, i'm now in a position to try and get to the hill more and want to have the best gear to do it in! This search has led me here with the interest of RVL8 skiboards, now i've just got to decide which one is for me! I'm extremely fortunate living with the Canadian Rockies as my backyard so I'll be skiing in the western canada resorts, i get out when i can and usually that's with different skill level friend groups so this has me going all over the mountain, majority of the time spent on groomed/powder runs occasionally visiting the moguls and trees, very little time spent in the park at least so far! Having self taught or through family what i know i've never learned the skiing and hill terms/slang so trying to research has been interesting however the Blunt XL, Spliff, KTP and Revolvts seem to be the top contenders so far respectively! But id love to hear from those who know as ive never actually had a pair of true skiboards to play with! Right now im just looking for one board (maybe two later in the season if there's two boards that can cover anything like a spork and a knife hahaha) that can be my jack of all trades and get me into it before expanding my collection for different conditions! I'll probably keep things simple with the bindings and get the RVL8 non-releasable ones unless there's a recommendation otherwise! I haven't got boots yet but plan to go to a local fitter for something decent as uncomfortable ski boots can wreck everything, however if it matters for the board my shoe size is around 12!

TL;DR = 21, 5'11" 180lb advanced skier with snowblade experience looking for a swiss army knife board to get me through it all at the western canada resorts

Hope that gives an idea of what ill need! Thanks guys!

Welcome to SBOL Jad13! You've found your way here at just the right time. It won't be long till there'll be some great deals on used gear in great shape. Sounds like you know this but put your money in decent boots. I have had great luck buying boots online and then getting custom foot beds from a good bootfitter.

Another issue you'll be sorting through is 'poles or no poles'.

You may be able to meet up with other's and try out their boards, or even attend Shredfest next spring in the Lake Tahoe area and check out all the boards in person.

Also, check out https://www.levelninesports.com/ for accessories.

I'm sure others will speak up here.

WELCOME!

Comment

First -- Welcome to the Forum

Second -- It's early in the season for a "What Should I Ride Post?". I applaud the early planning and thinking about cooler days ahead but it's just that the Forum is a bit sleepy until Oct/Nov and you may get limited responses. You may want to bump this post and ask for additional input in a few weeks.

Third -- My Two Cents:

The Jack of All Trades -- Quiver of One -- skiboard is a tall order. Even in the ski world the holy grail "do it all" ski doesn't really exist. Based on your size, ability, and conditions you are looking to ride in I think you have narrowed it down to a good set with the XLs, Spliffs, KTPs, and Revolts. I think most riders will likely recommend one of these for you, based on their own preference, so here is my take on each -- in the order I would recommend them:

1a - Blunt XLs - When their smaller cousins first hit the scene everyone loved the small and playful platform but there were some that craved a little more length. The XLs give you that length and exist in a space where all of the best ideas in skiboarding intersect. They are playful, skate-like, but the rocker takes away the harshness of the width and gives you the ability to ride in light powder. Note - compared to the "blades" you have tried these will feel really wide, likely close to twice the width of the typical snow blade.

1b - Revolts - This is arguably the best on piste groomer do it all board. Narrower and longer than the XLs they will feel very much like ice skates on snow. When skating on the flats or jumping the full camber construction gives these a lot of pop. The drawback for these is with your size they will be tougher to ride in any deep powder you get (but skiboards in general are tough in powder). This is best "first timer" board as they do a lot of things well and they are not too wide, or too stiff, or too long, or too short .... They are the Goldilocks of skiboards .... JUST RIGHT. They also make a great loaner board as you upgrade to something wider, shorter, longer, or for specific conditions.

2 - KTPs - Shorter than the Revolts but wider and stiffer the KTPs are boards that like an aggressive rider. If in your skiing and skating you find yourself leaning hard on your edges than they may be the board for you. Typically this is an advanced skiboarder ride but if you look in the mirror and see a hard charger they may be the boards for you.

3 - Spliffs - After wild success with the Blunts and Blunt XLs the Spliff were the next generation of rockered skiboards but blended in some camber underfoot and a stiffer construction. Riders either loved these boards or were uncharacteristically quiet here on the forum while they still were trying to figure them out. For me they became my go to board but for many they are still deciding where they fit in. Much like the KTPs they perform better when ridden aggressively. I would recommend these to a rider that owns Revolts or KTPs and is looking to upgrade but it may not be where you want to start.

Hope this helps. You have the right idea on a starting place and with your background should really take to the sport. Also your idea to focus on investing in good boots is the way to go. Most guys start with ski/skiboards and spend what's left on boots. Find some great boots and any one of the boards above will be fun. With bad boots just walking from the lodge to the hill will suck. Good luck.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Considering your skating background and experience with blades, I would get one of the more traditional skiboards first. By traditional, I mean the stiff and cambered boards that are primarily designed for the park, like the DLPs, KTPs, Revolts, Tanshos and Slapdashes. These boards will be a great upgrade on the blades you have been renting and will give you the most skate like feel. In my mind, they are the essence of what makes skiboards fun and should be in everyone's quiver. With skill and versatility you can take boards like these all over the mountain in all conditions. Maybe later you can consider the rockered or zero camber boards as fun addition for powder days, but I would start off cambered and embrace the minimalism.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Wookie was right on with his 1a and 1b choices and that is where I would suggest you start looking. Look at the reviews of these two boards by doing searches in the forum and that might narrow it down for you. I would stay away from the Spliffs for your first board because they are a different animal - some people loved them and others clearly did not. These might be a future board for you when you want to expand your collection and after you've connected with a few of us and had an opportunity to try a pair.

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
          1a - Blunt XLs - When their smaller cousins first hit the scene everyone loved the small and playful platform but there were some that craved a little more length. The XLs give you that length and exist in a space where all of the best ideas in skiboarding intersect. They are playful, skate-like, but the rocker takes away the harshness of the width and gives you the ability to ride in light powder. Note - compared to the "blades" you have tried these will feel really wide, likely close to twice the width of the typical snow blade.

1b - Revolts - This is arguably the best on piste groomer do it all board. Narrower and longer than the XLs they will feel very much like ice skates on snow. When skating on the flats or jumping the full camber construction gives these a lot of pop. The drawback for these is with your size they will be tougher to ride in any deep powder you get (but skiboards in general are tough in powder). This is best "first timer" board as they do a lot of things well and they are not too wide, or too stiff, or too long, or too short .... They are the Goldilocks of skiboards .... JUST RIGHT. They also make a great loaner board as you upgrade to something wider, shorter, longer, or for specific conditions.

Comment

Revolts. Non-release Bindings. No Poles.

1 - Revolts are one of the best all-mountain boards that I've ever ridden. (I own over a dozen different designs)

2 - They are a great transition from blades since they are a traditional cambered design.

3 - Many graphics options to choose from.

For the other stuff I must state that I tend to be a purist. I ride only non-release due to my boot choice (alpine snowboard) and the fact that I want a really light but stiff setup. I also only ride 110cm or shorter boards, and I have found no issues with leg stress even with riding lots of trees and other gnarly terrain. This is also why I eschew poles. I find no use for them. For reference, I'm just shy of 6'3" and about 180lbs.

Definitely make an effort to meet up with some other riders when you get the chance. I know there are other nuts out there like myself with collections of boards, and we are the people who can give you the opportunity to test many different designs. You also will learn a lot about technique from more experienced riders. I'm coming up on a decade of skiboarding (yes, I know that's not much to the old guys, but it's still decent.) and I'm still learning new tricks to get the most out of my boards.

Finally, welcome to the family
            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Blunt XLs

After riding a ton last year and trying revolts, spliffs, BWPs, RCs, and Blunt XLs I would recommend the XLs with non-relase bindings. I was able to ride on any and everything with them.
              The Skiboard Connection
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSkiboardConnection/

Comment

Originally posted by alnewt1234 View Post
                After riding a ton last year and trying revolts, spliffs, BWPs, RCs, and Blunt XLs I would recommend the XLs with non-relase bindings. I was able to ride on any and everything with them.
                Agreed! The XLs are awesome!

If you don't love the XLs, there's something wrong with you.

Sorry BW.
                Boards/Bindings:
                2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post

Sorry BW.
                  I did give the XLs a go, but never really enjoyed them. Perhaps it was the soft boots I was in that year? So many people like them that I feel like I need to give them another go. I was thinking about getting a pair of the Spacemen for this season, but am now wondering if the narrower Ickys might suit me better.

Comment

You rode a board as wide as XLs in soft boots? Jeez

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
                    Crossbow (go to dream board)
                    Most everything else over time.
                    Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                      You rode a board as wide as XLs in soft boots? Jeez

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
                      It was definitely a learning experience[emoji46] Mind you, there was a time we were describing the Blunts as the gateway to soft boot setups.

I had a lots of comfortable fun slarving around in the soft snow, but found it very hard work to get an edge on hard pack. I use the set up on my Slapdashes now, which are much more responsive. Bill's design has added another level of control to soft boot set ups but I'm not sure if they will ever rival the quick response hard boots give.

Comment

+1

Comment

100% agree.

The Blunt XL's are awesome IMHO.
                          Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                          Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                          Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Not a fan and yes there is something wrong with me. It would be an interesting study to look at individual riding styles and see if there is something common between riders that like certain boards. When I ride with Macrophotog and Kocho I feel that I am more upright than they are but that matches my ice/roller skating style.

It's also curios that there are boards (Revolts, 120s, Blunts) that had universal appeal and others (Spliffs, Sherpas, KTPs) that produce divided opinions.

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                            ......now wondering if the narrower Ickys might suit me better.
                            Me too! When looking at the specs its intriguing that they have a similar running length to the Spliffs in an overall shorter package. They are likely better suited for my riding conditions than the wider Spliffs. Waiting eagerly for reviews from Master Valmorel.
                            Boards:
                            2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                            2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                            2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                            2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                            2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                            2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                            2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Thanks for all the welcomes guys! Sorry for leaving my thread after starting it, just got moved into a new house and finally got internet set back up hahaha!! Now let's dive into all the posts,

First to address poles, i've always skied with poles mainly as a comfort item of something to hold and just have for balance, never really using the poles as they were intended i don't believe haha, so when it comes to skiboards i wasn't sure, maybe carry a pair of collapsible ones in a backpack, i may find i don't ever need them and ditch them all together once finally on a pair of skiboards!

Also the last few times i've managed to rent snowblades they were Head brand and seemed to be wider than the older snowblades but maybe that was my imagination lol

However it really seems to be narrowed down to Revolts and Blunt Xl's, with a majority of people leaning on and praising the Blunt Xl's! Thinking they will likely be the first board i get with revolts quickly behind to experience something skinnier! The new Sticky Icky Icky board looks interesting as well, can't wait to hear how they ride !!

Saw a local news article that 12" of snow fell at lake louise, this season is right around the corner and i couldn't be any more excited!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X