Midwest Meet 2017 - Mount Bohemia, MI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest Meet 2017 - Mount Bohemia, MI

Winter is coming, so let's start planning! The 8th annual Midwest Meet will be held January 20 - 22 at the one of a kind Mount Bohemia, MI (in the Upper Peninsula).

Bohemia is known for epic snow fall and untouched powder. Recent years have seen 351 inches!

Check how much fun we had last year

Mount Bohemia's Website: http://mtbohemia.com/

"Mount Bohemia has the longest runs with the highest vertical and deepest powder in the Midwest. Bohemia is all-natural, and has no problem without snow guns. The average snowfall in the Keweenaw is 273 inches. The lake effect snow is dry similar to western resorts and accumulates as powder which is untouched because we do not groom. Bohemia's two new sections; the Outer limits has 100+ acres of inbounds backcountry skiing with 17 new runs even longer and trickier than before."

When?
    You know the drill! Same weekend we know and love. January 20 - 22 (riding Friday - Sunday).

Lodging
    Staying in Calumet (about 30 minutes away) worked out well last year, so I say we stick with that. We'll have more amenities in Calumet and should get much better rest (less noise, more comfy beds, more bathrooms).

American Inn, Calumet
    - We'll reserve at least one room for people arriving Thursday evening
    - The cost of a room for Thursday - Sunday is $417.57 at the regular rate, or $375.81 at the AAA rate
    - The cost of a room for Friday - Sunday is $278.38 at the regular rate
    We won't want to wait too long to book rooms. The previous weekend is already sold out.

Other lodging
    Feel free to check out other lodging options. There are several properties for rent through VRBO.

Lift Tickets
    Every year Bohemia has a $99 season pass sale on the first Saturday in December. Most of us take advantage of this, which works out to be a great deal for riding three days. Several of us have also made a second trip back later in the season. Another option is to purchase lift tickets each day for around $50. If you decide to buy lift tickets on site each day, keep in mind that Bohemia has a credit/debit card only policy (no cash).

Schedule
    Here's what our typical schedule looks like. We're open to any suggestions!

Thursday Evening
    - Early arrivals (people who want to ride right away Friday AM)

Friday
    - Arrive at Bohemia
    - Ride
    - Head back to Calumet (30 minute drive)
    - Dinner in Calumet

Saturday
    - Drive to Bohemia
    - Ride all day
    - Clean up and change in Calumet
    - Dinner in Houghton
    - Back to Calumet

Sunday
    - Pack up, check out of hotel
    - Ride until you can't anymore
    - Depart

Carpools
    Minneapolis, MN area: Courtney - Room for 3 people, can pick up from Minneapolis airport (MSP). Plan to arrive Thursday evening.
    Carpoolees: Brick

Green Bay, WI area: Andrew - Room for a few people, can pick up from Milwaukee airport. Plan to arrive Friday afternoon.
    Carpoolees: Tim, Clark (might drive separately)

Detroit, MI area: w - Room for more. Plan to arrive Thursday evening.
    Carpoolees:

Who else is driving? Let us know and I'll add you here!

Feel free to contact Courtney or adeehr directly for more information.

Who's coming?
    We'd like to get a list going of "definitelys" and "maybes". Please post and let us know where you belong and we'll add you to the list. Bonus points for making the definitely list before December... but only if you definitely show up!

Definitely!
    Courtney - American Inn Room 1 (Thursday - Sunday)
    Crystal - American Inn Room 1
    Sam (MoltenCore) - American Inn Room 2 (Thursday - Sunday)
    Brick (ElkCloner) - American Inn Room 2 (Thursday - Sunday)
    Andrew (adeehr) - American Inn Room 3 (Friday - Sunday)
    Tim (Crazyboy-1) - American Inn Room 3 (Friday - Sunday)
    Nick (ZwingZ) - American Inn Room 3 (Friday - Sunday)
    Marshall (Mavrick) - American Inn Room 4 (Thursday - Sunday)
    Tyler (Tphelps927) - American Inn Room 4 (Thursday - Sunday)
    John (Bikeplatt) - Ahmeek streetcar
    Jake (jake.newhouse) - Ahmeek streetcar
    Brian (bec2745) - Ahmeek streetcar
    George (g.dub) - local
    Clark (CKL) - Staying w/ George

If you're hoping to make it let us know and we'll put you on the list!

While you contemplate, check out the great times we've had over the years: Midwest Meet Playlist

Frequently Asked Questions:
    Q: Bohemia's website says "experts only" - should I consider coming?
    A: Yes! As long as you're comfortable riding in trees and quickly turning both directions, you'll be fine at Mount Bohemia. The mountain is 100% natural, so some experience in powder riding / variable conditions is a plus, but not required. Regardless of your riding level, no one will be left behind.

Q: Do I need to wear a helmet?
    A: A helmet is highly recommended. Riding in trees makes for variable conditions and we don't want anyone to sustain any serious injuries.

Q: What should I bring?
    A: Here's a helpful list.

Things you need to bring to Bohemia (or you’re gonna have a bad time)

General:
    - A credit / debit card (cash is not accepted at Bohemia)
    - Printed confirmation of buying your season pass (just in case you're not on their list, because that happens)
    - An ID to prove who you are
    - Printed directions to get to Bohemia (your GPS is probably going to bring you someplace other than Mount Bohemia)
    - Health insurance cards (not a bad idea to carry these on you while riding, just in case)

Riding:
    - Skiboards (bring an extra set if possible)
    - Bindings
    - Boots
    - Leashes
    - Helmet
    - Goggles
    - Jacket
    - Snow pants
    - Layers (the more the better)
    - Gloves / mittens
    - Ski socks
    - Something to cover your face

Things you might want to bring to Bohemia (but probably wouldn’t die without)

- Hand warmers / foot warmers if you get cold when it's cold (sometimes these are hard to find in Houghton, depending on how cold it has been)
    - Camera, GoPro, etc
    - Chargers for your devices
    - Food, beverages, snacks (Bohemia's food isn't great or cheap)
    - Extra outerwear in case you get really wet or something
    - Wax, iron, etc (I'll bring mine, usually a few other people do too)

Pro Tips:

- Don't go in the ditch (you're going to be in the middle of nowhere)
    - Don't lose your wallet or car keys (this has happened)
    - Wax your boards before the trip
    - While cellphone coverage has been improving in the area, signals tend to not be great, so be prepared for that
    - If you'd like a copy of footage shot from various cameras, bring an external hard drive (ideally something Mac or FAT32 formatted)
    - The wifi at Bohemia sucks at best

Saving for lodging info, although we really don't need a lodging post, I'm saving this post for posterity!

8th year, hot damn!
    Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

I'm in!

You must be bored Courtney, you posted this 10 days earlier than normal.

Comment

Originally posted by ElkCloner View Post
        I'm in!

You must be bored Courtney, you posted this 10 days earlier than normal.
        Have you tracked the historical statistics on this thread?
        Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

Comment

It's usually Labor Day

Comment

Busted! Definitely a bit early this year. I was planning out my winter trips and figured I'd go all out.

Comment

meee

Comment

ill try to bring one-arm since you guys like him better

Comment

The one armed man returns! Glad you'll make it Jack!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

I'm in as usual, and I'll plan to follow my normal routine of riding up with Daddy Deehr.
                      RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                        I'm in as usual, and I'll plan to follow my normal routine of riding up with Daddy Deehr.
                        What he said.

Comment

I reserved a Thursday - Sunday room. Less than 5 months away!

Comment

Not sure if you guys saw this or not, but it looks like Mount Bohemia are in the process of constructing a new "hostel" for skiers. There will be two bunk rooms, one for the boys and one for the girls, with twelve beds in each. $45 a night all inclusive.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/0...ter-party-vibe
                            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

After a long day riding, most of us are trying to avoid the "party vibe" they're trying to foster.

Cool to see they're planning individual girl / guy hostels. A couple years ago we ran into one poor girl who was sharing the entire hostel with a bunch of dudes. We'll see if it holds up when there are only a few girls and lots of guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X