Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Coast Winter Stoke, El Nino's Back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get a rental from the airport when I visit Salt Lake, usually a 2WD midsize sedan to get around town in. It usually come out to close to $100 for the four days.

You can get up the canyon roads in a 2WD, but if it snows they restrict the roads to snow tires and 4WD only. The ski bus will get you up the hill and there are plenty of park and ride lots around town, but on snow days they do get busy.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
      Just when you thought winter was over, the West is about to get slammed by the storm of the century. Dropping temperatures and five to ten feet of snow over the next week should hit the reset button for us and revitalize the season. Tahoe is taking the brunt of the storm, but Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming and the PNW should all benefit from this change in the weather.

Sempai and I are planning the ski the Cottonwood resorts from March 17th through to the 20th. I'm sure the amazing Kyu will join us as well. There are some great spring deal out there right now to take advantage of. So, come out and join us.
      Tempting, tempting, tempting!

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
        Tempting, tempting, tempting!
        Let us know if you are interested. It's easy to add one to the room and split the costs even further.

Comment

Sempai and I are planning the ski the Cottonwood resorts from March 17th through to the 20th. I'm sure the amazing Kyu will join us as well. There are some great spring deal out there right now to take advantage of. So, come out and join us.
          Not sure about the amazing part, but I should be around unless I get snowed in in Colorado.
          Boards: 15 Blunt XL / 13 Slapdash
          Bindings: Bomber 2 Elite / Zero Pro
          Boots: Atomic Hawx 2.0 100

Comment

OK, I'm booked with my daughter for the 25th-30th. Sorry, won't be able to meet you guys.

We will be staying in the Hayatt Place using frequent travel points, so will be buying the ski passes separately. Looks like it is very close to the bus route and one of the park and ride lots.

I'm a little unclear how the super pass works: are the days consecutive or not (within the 14 days from activation)? Let's say I get a 3 day super pass and I am staying 4 days, can I use it on days 1, 2, and 4 or do the days have to be consecutive, so 1,2,3 or 2,3,4?

Any other ways to get discount ski tickets?

Comment

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
              I'm a little unclear how the super pass works: are the days consecutive or not (within the 14 days from activation)? Let's say I get a 3 day super pass and I am staying 4 days, can I use it on days 1, 2, and 4 or do the days have to be consecutive, so 1,2,3 or 2,3,4?

Any other ways to get discount ski tickets?
              The days don't have to be consecutive just used within the 14-day window. Only other discount ticket option that I know of is Liftopia.com. You could try local ski shops or sporting good stores. Sometimes they carry coupons. Hotels also have discounted tickets or coupons on occasion.
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                The days don't have to be consecutive just used within the 14-day window. Only other discount ticket option that I know of is Liftopia.com. You could try local ski shops or sporting good stores. Sometimes they carrying coupons. Hotels also have discounted tickets or coupons on occasion.

Comment

Yikes!

Comment

The dumping has begun!

Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Just heard that Mammoth Mountain in CA has gotten 44-56 inches in the last 48 hours, and it is still coming down.

Wow!
                      Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                      Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

While I'm researching for my own trip, might as well share some of the potentially useful stuff I fond:

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...highlight=alta
                        http://utaholympiclegacy.org/park-activities

The cheapest way to rent a car that I could find was through priceline.com, by using "name your own price" option. They would not take my $10 per day offer, but took $15 a day. Which is very misleading, since with taxes it is almost double that what I end-up paying ($140 for 5 days).

Looking at the forecast and recent snowfalls, it seems to snow a few inches just about every day there! And historical averages seem promising (although this winter seems warmer than usual, so I don't know what to expect, really).

Are the busses that convenient? Or would a car be quicker, more flexible? I'll have a car anyway, but is it worth using it to go to the slopes? I'm thinking of bringing my snow chains for the rental car - unless Hertz offers to upgrade me to something unusual, the size chains I have should fit the tire size of my booked tiny front wheel drive rental vehicle. While the busses are probably a good way to go up the slopes, I like the idea of being independent and more mobile. And the chains might come handy if we get snowed-in while we are visiting some place that the buses don't serve...

Comment

Are the busses that convenient? Or would a car be quicker, more flexible?
                          I've only had one experience taking the ski bus, and it wasn't pleasant. We had to stand and ride for about an hour in a half on the bus before reaching the resort. Going forward I will drive and never take the bus again.
                          Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                          Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Are the busses that convenient? Or would a car be quicker, more flexible?
                            They are convenient in that you aren't driving, other than that I would say no. If it is on a powder day and you want a seat you should get on at the first stop (Midvale) it will add about 20-25 minutes to the commute. If you plan on staying till the end of the day the busses are pretty packed on the way down as well. Having said that I am looking forward to next year when I have a pass that includes the bus so I don't have to spend gas money and I can nap on the way up and down.
                            Boards: 15 Blunt XL / 13 Slapdash
                            Bindings: Bomber 2 Elite / Zero Pro
                            Boots: Atomic Hawx 2.0 100

Comment

Are the busses that convenient? Or would a car be quicker, more flexible? I'll have a car anyway, but is it worth using it to go to the slopes? I'm thinking of bringing my snow chains for the rental car - unless Hertz offers to upgrade me to something unusual, the size chains I have should fit the tire size of my booked tiny front wheel drive rental vehicle. While the busses are probably a good way to go up the slopes, I like the idea of being independent and more mobile. And the chains might come handy if we get snowed-in while we are visiting some place that the buses don't serve...
                              It's worth noting that when it does snow, the Canyon roads are restricted to 4X4 with snow tires, and there are police road checks at the Canyon entrance, so a 2WD rental with chains may not be allowed up. Your only other choice is the bus, and it will be crowded on a powder day. Like Kyu says, get there early and use the start of the route.

Comment

From most FAQs and the Snowbird one on particular:

"By law, snow tires or chains are required on all vehicles entering the canyon from November 1st to May 1st. During heavy snowstorms, the canyon may be temporarily restricted to 4WD or chain-equipped vehicles only"

That comes from the Utah administrative code: http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/c...0/r920-006.htm

So it looks like chains on at least 2 tires (mounted or carried), or mounted snow tires, or 4wd with at least 2 mounted snow tires. Having all three would help, but it looks it is not required. And it appears that the chains don't need to be mounted, just carried in the vehicle and able to be mounted if needed. But if the road is well covered in snow, I think it will make sense to have them mounted.

It's worth noting that when it does snow, the Canyon roads are restricted to 4X4 with snow tires, and there are police road checks at the Canyon entrance, so a 2WD rental with chains may not be allowed up. Your only other choice is the bus, and it will be crowded on a powder day. Like Kyu says, get there early and use the start of the route.

Comment

Working...
                                X