Blunt XLs - Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blunt XLs - Revisited

I was back on my Blunt XLs earlier this week at the snow dome here in the UK. Valmorel and I only rode the Spliffs when we were out in the Alps in January.
    We both decided to revisit the XLs. I was immediately reminded what fun, playful boards the Blunt XLs are. They make me smile. I was soon carving big turns, yet they're equally as good at making short swings. Valmorel was impressed by my form. He told me that I was keeping the XLs very close together yet I found that very easy, angulating up onto the edges effortlessly. Maybe the XLs are not as fast as the Spliffs but I found it a little easier to keep the XLs under control. When I say that the Spliffs are faster, please don't think that the XLs are slow. Very few folk could pass me when I let the XLs have their head, so to speak. Not running flat by the way but switching quickly from edge to edge.
    I intend to take the Blunt XLs on my next trip to the Alps as I have realised that speed isn't everything, one also has to have the maximum fun!
    Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
    Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
    Nordica HF110 ski boots

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
    We both decided to revisit the XLs. I was immediately reminded what fun, playful boards the Blunt XLs are. They make me smile.
    Good for you two! They make me smile too.

I had been mostly riding the longboards and Spliffs this season, but I decided to take the XLs to Westfest with me. I'm very happy I did. It reminded me that the XLs are such a blast. They are my favorite boards to take into the trees. They're so tiny but so mighty.

I haven't been a fan of the Spliffs like you and Valmorel. I actually sold my pair last week. I can't see ever letting the XLs go. They are too much fun!
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

This is the first shortboard that I like. It is amazing how it skis powder. I'm not crazy about it on hard groomers. They not very directional in those conditions side slipping like crazy. That makes the bumps a lot of fun.
      Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
      Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
      Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
      History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

I think, at the risk of being controversial, that the XLs are for me, the definitive Skiboard. Sub 100, OK with a fixie, light, and supremely able. In short, great great fun. Def my go to. Love em.

Tapatalk from my moto x
        Crossbow (go to dream board)
        Most everything else over time.
        Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
          .... at the risk of being controversial ....
          When has being controversial ever stopped you before???

For my big frame the Blunts and Blunt XLs just feel too short on the hardpack conditions I typically ride, perhaps due to my size or just my riding style. They are, however, the most playful boards I have ridden. We talk about boards ridding shorter or longer than they are but rarely do we mention how the Blunts and Blunt XL ride narrower than they are. When I first tried a pair I expected them to feel like my Condors that are slow edge to edge. The Blunts and Blunt XLs, likely due to the rocker, don't feel as wide as they are but you get the benefit of the width when conditions are soft or cruddy.

The Blunt line really embodies a lot of the core of skiboarding that we love .... I just wish I was shorter so I could enjoy them more .... wait .... no I don't, being tall is awesome and I own a pair of Spliffs .... Life is Good!!
          Boards:
          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I always felt that the Blunts and XLs rode as wide as they are. They were easy to slarve, but it took a lot of effort to truly get them on edge. I even put an extra riser pad under my FF Pros to help with the leverage. Maybe it's the camber and stiffness, but for me the KTPs seem to ride narrower than the rockered boards. I did enjoy a whole season on the Blunts, but eventually they were just too much hard work for me.
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
              I always felt that the Blunts and XLs rode as wide as they are. They were easy to slarve, but it took a lot of effort to truly get them on edge. I even put an extra riser pad under my FF Pros to help with the leverage. Maybe it's the camber and stiffness, but for me the KTPs seem to ride narrower than the rockered boards. I did enjoy a whole season on the Blunts, but eventually they were just too much hard work for me.
              I don't ride them multiple days in a row to give my legs a break. In powder, I don't have to work as hard so two days in a row is fine. I find that trading out boards when I ride multiple days makes me less tired in general because different muscles come into play with different boards.
              Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
              Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
              Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
              History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Working...
              X