Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Area 3/14-3/16

Hey WestSide!

I'm traveling to Oakland for a wedding on the 12th. I've given myself Monday thru Wednesday after the wedding to get some skiboarding in, flying home on Thursday. I haven't been to the area before so what I'd really like is tips on where to go for the best deal and where to look for accommodations close to the mountain. I'll be traveling as light as possible, just a backpack and duffle, but should be able to bring along a set of boards, bindings, pants and boots. Would like riding with a guide, if there are any skiboarders available I figured the crowds would be slimmer early in the week. Also, I'm not above couch surfing or sleeping on the floor.. so if anyone would like to host a Yooper, that would be awesome!

Hey GDub. new guy here but I live in the Bay Area near oakland. You should have a fun trip I'm sure. Any chance you could get up to Tahoe on that sunday? The 13th I think it is? I work the ol' 9-5'er in SF but could try to make it up for a Day trip on Sunday.

Comment

There are lots of great places to ski around Tahoe: in South Lake (via Hwy 50) - Heavenly and Kirkwood, in No. Lake (via Hwy 80) - Sugar Bowl, Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, Northstar, Mt. Rose. You can likely get a 3 day pass from Squaw-Alpine (same ownership) or Heavenly-Kirkwood-Northstar (owned by Vail Corp). You should have no problem getting an economical room at that time of the week. Fridays and Saturday nights are most popular. If you don't mind a bunk bed...try out the Sierra Club's Claire Tappaan Lodge (you need to do some chores as part of your stay) at Donner Pass (Highway 80). I could be convinced to take a day off and ski Heavenly or Sugar Bowl.
      Michael - Backcountry Skier Extraordinaire - Reformed Telemark & Alpine Skier
      Icelantic Scouts with Fritschi AT bindings; Spruce Mtn. Sherpas with Alpine bindings & riser

Comment

Thanks for the information mkaroly. Unfortunately, mostly work related stuff I've cut my time there short... which is awful because I see the snow you guys are getting! TeeYeezy, I will be there Sunday the 13th (10 Washington St, dt oakland) but I'm unsure if I'm going to end up bringing my gear at all, but a day trip sounds nice. Saturday night being the wedding night, I imagine Sunday will be pretty rough on all us guests.

Comment

Working...
        X