This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Guide: All You Need To Know About Skiboard Bindings

I put together this comprehensive skiboard binding guide for SkiboardMagazine.com and Skiboarding Riders' Choice Awards!

http://www.skiboardmagazine.com/2015...rd-bindings-2/
    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Nicely done!! Someone should "sticky" this or add it as a post in the new rider section as it answers 99% of the binding questions that new forum members often ask.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

+1 for the sticky!

Comment

Nice work but I think there needs to be more discussion of what makes a good snowboard binding conversion for skiboards.
        There is a huge amount of confusion . I strongly feel that WINGS along with the riser and third strap are essential .
        https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=16188
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
          Nice work but I think there needs to be more discussion of what makes a good snowboard binding conversion for skiboards.
          There is a huge amount of confusion . I strongly feel that WINGS along with the riser and third strap are essential .
          Agreed. Many people ask about my bindings out in the lift line or at the top and I basically squeeze this out of my mouth as fast as I can using my best yooper accent.
          Curious rider: "holy frikkin wah you got snowboard bindings on dhem things!?"
          Me:
          "oh ja dere pretty sweet, eh? Oh ja, gotta slap dese on a riser tho, keep that base plate from biting the hill, eh? And you need dhis too dontchaknow, *lifts snowpant to revel third strap and wing*"
          Rider: "Holy wah."

Comment

Thanks!

I am open to adding and updating info on it. I've personally never experimented with snowboard bindings. What would you suggest be added?

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
              ...What would you suggest be added?
              Best course of action would be to have Jack (JJue) write a small Softboot binding section along the same lines of what you have written and insert it in the article. Thoughts?
              Boards:
              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I believe the most important component is the choice of snowboard boots, more specifically the marriage of the boot to the binding. A good quality, stiff boot is vital. I will go as far as to say that the best results come when the binding is designed for and around the boot.

Currently all the commercial soft bindings rely on the top strap and wing concept, which is the easiest way to convert a regular snowboard binding. Along with the riser, they do provide good control, but not as good as ski boots. Boot/binding combinations always present a compromise between comfort, control, ease of use, affordability and technique. The key is to maintain comfort whilst improving control.

Despite all the work done so far, the design concept behind soft bindings is still developing and entering a new, exciting phase. There are other designs out there that do not rely on the top strap for control. I believe they open up the opportunity for even better control, which gets us closer to making soft bindings a genuine option for hard boots. The future is looking promising.
                Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Thanks!

I am open to adding and updating info on it. I've personally never experimented with snowboard bindings. What would you suggest be added?
                  Something like the following :
                  A variety of commercial converted snowboard bindings or conversion kits are currently available for purchase from online retailers. These allow skiboarding with snowboard boots. Most riders have found that the best results for successfully skiboarding in snowboard boots are a good fitting stiff snowboard boot coupled with a snowboard binding that includes three components : 1/ a riser, 2/ a winged highback to provide lateral support and 3/ a wide third strap attached to the winged highback.
                  Boards :
                  Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                  Boots
                  K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                  Bindings:
                  Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                    I believe the most important component is the choice of snowboard boots, more specifically the marriage of the boot to the binding. A good quality, stiff boot is vital. I will go as far as to say that the best results come when the binding is designed for and around the boot.

Currently all the commercial soft bindings rely on the top strap and wing concept, which is the easiest way to convert a regular snowboard binding. Along with the riser, they do provide good control, but not as good as ski boots. Boot/binding combinations always present a compromise between comfort, control, ease of use, affordability and technique. The key is to maintain comfort whilst improving control.

Despite all the work done so far, the design concept behind soft bindings is still developing and entering a new, exciting phase. There are other designs out there that do not rely on the top strap for control. I believe they open up the opportunity for even better control, which gets us closer to making soft bindings a genuine option for hard boots. The future is looking promising.
                    I agree with Bad Wolf that a high quality stiff boot is essential for skiboarding with snowboard boots much more so then the quaility or stiffness of hardboots for those using hardboot bindings. By the way this is true even for more rigid new prototype snowboard boot bindings like Bills prototype (more on that below ) .

There is a very interesting design conundrum with bindings for snowboard boots. Are we trying to replicate hardboot control , or is a the looser feeling somewhat different feeling of the snowboard boot/binding combination something that is positive in itself?
                    I have had a very interesting experience this season comparing riding in a prototype new binding developed by Bill here on the forum that does not rely on the third strap but more fully encases the entire upper part of the boot in plastic. I must say that his binding for me actually completely duplicates the control that I feel in a hard boot with a non release binding. However, after using it alot , I have found myself gravitating back to the three strap SBOL or original Rockerbinding design . I find that the the current SBOL design gives me all the control I need to ride my skiboards well but has a looser more comfortable feel to the system . Not loose in the sense of a poorly fitting hardboot , but loose in less rigid and more comfortable . It is certainly true that in hard icy snow I can hold an edge better with a hardboot and Bills rigid soft boot binding design then I can with the SBOL type three strap design but all I do is just tend to slide a bit more in icy snow when I am in the softer feeling SBOL type design . I think as snowboard designs develop it really will be a personal choice as to how much like a hardboot people want to feel in their snowboard boots. What I do know is that the current commercial SBOL design with RISER , WINGS , AND THIRD STRAP is an excellent binding that many will find great for skiboarding . I also know that a commercial modfied snowboard binding design with only a riser and a third strap but no WINGS on the highback WILL be sorely lacking in providing acceptable control.
                    Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Something like the following :
                      A variety of commercial converted snowboard bindings or conversion kits are currently available for purchase from online retailers. These allow skiboarding with snowboard boots. Most riders have found that the best results for successfully skiboarding in snowboard boots are a good fitting stiff snowboard boot coupled with a snowboard binding that includes three components : 1/ a riser, 2/ a winged highback to provide lateral support and 3/ a wide third strap attached to the winged highback.
                      Thanks! I'll work that into the guide.

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

I put together this comprehensive skiboard binding guide for SkiboardMagazine.com and Skiboarding Riders' Choice Awards!

http://www.skiboardmagazine.com/2015...rd-bindings-2/
                        Very nice job, Roussel. Concise, organized, and informative. Wookie's correct, that's a perfect reference to cite for folks who have binding questions. You write very well!

Comment

Although most riders understand that their soft bindings will produce a different ride quality, I believe their expectation is to achieve the same level of control as hard boots. I believe the "Holy Grail" of skiboarding is to be able to do everything you can in hard boots, but with the comfort of snowboard boots. I enjoy the soft edging style of riding as well, but would be disappointed if that is all I can do in my soft boots.
                          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Guys what do use use between board and binding?
                            My bindings, non release, are mounted directly on the board and I noticed it damaged a bit a board.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Duotone II Rage
                            Salomon SPK

Comment

What style of bindings are you using? Most non-releasables have a rubber pad between the board and the harder parts of the binding.
                              BOARDSLAYER
                              Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
                              X