2014 Blunt Unboxing , Setup, and First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Blunt Unboxing , Setup, and First Impressions

Today my new 2014 Blunts arrived. I've wanted a pair of these pretty much since I started skiboarding, so I was really excited to finally have it in the budget this year.

The anticipation was killing me.

All unboxed.

SBOL promotion cards, Rvl8 stickers, and a skiboarding DVD. Nice touch, Greco!

These things are wide! I love that. And they are beautiful boards. I love the graphics and the black/white contrast.

Ready for the full treatment.

After an edge detune (they come sharp!) and a hand wax.

Mounted with softboot non-release bindings. Custom modified M8trix bindings with the Summit Riser Kit.

My awesome quiver!
    2014 Rvl8 Blunts 88cm
    2014 Snowjam Phenom 90cm
    Custom modified M8trix softboot bindings with the Summit Riser Kit.
    Last edited by snowjam; 12-04-2015, 08:12 PM. Reason: Added new softboot binding pictures.

Thanks for sharing - great pictures of the unboxing! The Blunts are great boards! I had them prior to my BluntXL's and they were so much fun!

One thing to check, or be careful about, with the Floski's riser set-up. . . The Floski riser is built with their skis in mind which have set-back mounting inserts. So when using them on a RVL8 board with center mount inserts, you might find yourself riding front of center on the board. It all depends on the size of your boot - because the toe piece is affixed and the heel piece is adjustable (the larger your boot the less the problem). You might want to mount your boot and see where the Boot Sole Center mark lines up with the center of the boards. . . Just something to look at. . .

Comment

Very cool. You're going to love them. They are a blast!
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by snowjam View Post
        Today my new 2014 Blunts arrived. I've wanted a pair of these pretty much since I started skiboarding, so I was really excited to finally have it in the budget this year.
        Great boards, so much fun.

Let us know when you find the Easter Egg
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

One of my all time favourite boards
          Crossbow (go to dream board)
          Most everything else over time.
          Go Android

Comment

I rode them once, lets just say youll have a blast on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
              One thing to check, or be careful about, with the Floski's riser set-up. . . The Floski riser is built with their skis in mind which have significantly set-back mounting inserts. So when using them on a RVL8 board with center mount inserts, you might find yourself riding front of center on the board. It all depends on the size of your boot - because the toe piece is affixed and the heel piece is adjustable (the larger your boot the less the problem). You might want to mount your boot and see where the Boot Sole Center mark lines up with the center of the boards. . . Just something to look at. . .
              Thanks for the heads up macrophotog, I never thought of that!

Luckily, I have not noticed this when riding. My boots are 318mm sole length, so I don't think I should have a problem with the centering. But I will check when I get home to see where things actually line up.

Comment

2014 Blunt Unboxing , Setup, and First Impressions

Let me know what you find - I'm curious. I believe your SnowJam board's inserts are set back 10cm so you probably wouldn't have noticed on those. The Blunts will be different since there is no setback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Macro,

Looks like the boot center line is lined up with the front inserts, so slightly front-of-center. Is it likely this will cause an awful ride? I didn't have any issues before, although I believe you are correct that the snowjam inserts are set back slightly.

Should I run into issues, I shouldn't have any problem remounting the toe piece, and I have plenty of room on the heel piece to adjust. Experimentation will tell.

Comment

Macro,

Looks like the boot center line is lined up with the front inserts, so slightly front-of-center. Is it likely this will cause an awful ride? I didn't have any issues before, although I believe you are correct that the snowjam inserts are set back slightly.

Should I run into issues, I shouldn't have any problem remounting the toe piece, and I have plenty of room on the heel piece to adjust. Experimentation will tell.
                    I think some of the more experienced engineers on the forum might have to answer this one. Based on what you reported back, you are 20mm front of center which I think would negatively impact the ride balance wise and in your carving. Having more board behind you will most certainly have a negative effect in powder when you usually want to be set back or at least sitting back some. (Not that we see powder much in the northeast)

I also have a set of floski risers that I picked up and was thinking of using for my wife, but when I saw the design and realized with her short boot that she would be forward of center I've now been thinking of other ways to use them. . . And one option is as you've said to remount the toe piece back further to take care of the situation.

Comment

It's funny that the issue with the Floski bindings should come up, actually.

I've been using softboot bindings for most of my time skiboarding, but I'm one of those people who has to try and weigh every option before I can make up my mind.

I had issues with Groove non-release bindings prematurely releasing, and the Floski riser being off center and heavy. I like some of the benefits of hardboots like the predictable handling, but I keep having issues that make me hesitate to use them regularly.

I always migrate back to my tried-and-true softboot setup. Playful, comfortable, and reliable. I think I'll just stick with what I know works well for me

Updated the original post with softboot setup pics.

Comment

I always migrate back to my tried-and-true softboot setup. Playful, comfortable, and reliable. I think I'll just stick with what I know works well for me
                        Good choice. The Blunts really need to be ridden as neutrally as possible, and the soft bindings go well with the gentle edging style of the Blunts. I think this combination brings out the best of the boards and the bindings. Plus it looks so cool.
                        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Updated the original post with softboot setup pics.
                          Looks like you could use a buffer third strap and some wings attached to that high back, I can't quite tell from that photo though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by g.dub View Post
                            Looks like you could use a buffer third strap and some wings attached to that high back, I can't quite tell from that photo though
                            There's a booster strap on there. Works pretty well!

Comment

There's a booster strap on there. Works pretty well!
                              I wouldn't rely on that booster strap to provide any support going edge to edge on a board as wide as those babies. The riser will provide a leverage point but your overall stability and control/response is going to be sacrificed. Basically without a winged high back and ratchet strap your rocking a 1st gen softboot binding (pretty bad feedback) on a 3rd gen skiboard. R&D in this field is on going, but the idea is to match the rigidity or response of a skiboot, this is also why flex indexes of 7 or greater are recommended (required imho) for the softboot itself. The "wings" are crucial to accomplishing this, I wouldn't hesitate trying to pick up a set, if you can get them without the riser at an affordable price. The full conversion kit is boutique to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                              X