Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed: switching from Snowblades to RVL8s...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I decided on the Revolts. My mom got them for me for a Christmas gift, so we ordered them today. I decided that it was good in the areas that I ski most often. I still would like to give some Blunt XLs a go, but maybe for me next pair. You all gave me a lot to to think about and I really appreciate all the advice!

Now I have to pick out some bindings for them! Of course the Snowblades had non-release, which I thought was so weird when I first got them, but I never had a problem with them. I though I would get non-release again, but now I'm not so sure. I like the secure, close-to-the-snow feeling of the non-release. But I do like being able to just step into the release bindings. Are they challenging to get off without poles to release them? Do they feel significantly higher off the snow than the non-release?

I love the idea of trying snowboard boots, but I think I'd like to get settled into new boards first. I know snowboard boots are more flexible than skiboots...do you still feel as in control with the snow board boots? It would be so nice to wear snow board boots instead of ski boots that make my shins hurt by the end of the day. Since I've only tried snowboarding a couple of times several years ago, I'm a little rusty on what the feel is like. I just reminder the snowboard motion being more of a rolling from heel to toe to control the board and wondered how that translated on skiboards.

Thoughts?

Comment

On bindings it's all about personal comfort level and what you want for performance:

Snowboard Bindings: These are arguably the most comfortable set-up and ideal for the rider who just can't seem to find ski boots that fit right. By their very nature this is a softer connection and you will lose some of the immediate input you have with your current snowblade non-release binding. Given that you have skiboots and, I'll assume, they work for you this might not be the best option as you are adding the small challenge of a bigger skiboard, why add the challenge of learning a new binding system. These are also the most involved in putting on/taking off.

Non Release Bindings: These will be very similar to the snowblade bindings you are used to. They give you a low, light, very direct connection. There are two big drawbacks: 1) they take a little more effort to get on/off (but you're used to that) 2) they don't have safety features.

Release Bindings: With release bindings you give up a little (but not much) performance in the connection, less so with high end bindings like the Attack 13s. They are also a bit heavier and higher but you get used to that quickly. What you gain is safety and convenience. They are actually easy to get off without poles as you just step on the release lever with the bottom of the board. The bases are hard enough that is does not damage them (pro freestyle skiers do this all the time as they ride with really short poles.)

So where to go? If you have no safety concerns non release will give you the most performance at the lowest cost. If you want some more safety and convenience go full release bindings. For me I really enjoy riding my Revolts with non-release Bomber bindings. It is a great performance experience. With that said I opt for full release bindings more and more since I got over 40 years old. The prospect of a broken leg equals lost time at work and would impact my family. Also since I regularly ride with two pre-teen girls that seem to need about 1000 bathroom breaks during a typical day the step-in/step-out convenience can't be beat for running in and out of the lodge all day.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I'm glad you went with those boards. Both because they are the best all around board to date and obviously I am biased to a graphic. Which year revolts did you get?

I ride both releasables and non releasables.

Releasables are great for ease of getting on and off but are noticeably heavier. They also sit about 1cm higher off the ski board which makes it a bit easier to go from edge to edge at the sacrifice of some stability.

The non releasables make you feel much more "in tune" with the boards. You feel everything which is a good thing in my opinion. They are lower to the board making for more stability but harder to go from edge to edge.

Snowboard bindings I have yet to try but a few of the pro riders ride them. They all say they give more of a loose feeling. They all claim the boots comfort makes them well worth it. Most people like this setup for bigger sweeping turns as opposed to short choppy ones. Also these are not recommended for most park riding especially any rails. The stability is lacking pretty hard there.

I ride releasables when just cruising with friends or the wife.

Non Releasables anytime I do park or if the snow is icy. That firmer feel they give helps on ice or choppy snow.

Also non releasables and snow board bindings offer the most flex of the board

I would recommend a pair of non releasable receptors to match the boards. It will be the most solid setup and from there you can branch out.

-B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        sigpic

Comment

Congratulations!! You will love them! We've ridden spruce riser release bindings for years and love them, but if you are comfortable with non-release, either way will be a huge step up in performance. Can't wait to hear your report after the first ride!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
          '07 "soft" ALPs
          Eyeball DLPs
          125 LEs
          Ospreys mounted bindings
          Crossbows
          Spruce riser release bindings
          Sometimes borrower of Chad's spare Blunt XLs

Comment

I think Branden did a really nice job of explaining what I would have said between the two style bindings. I was hesitant to switch to the releasables, until my wife tore her ACL on the nons. That could happen on either, but the additional safety propelled us to make the change.

It seemed odd at first being higher off the board, but it also makes it easier to get on edge and easier to perform tricks which is the best part of riding the boards to be honest. The ease of getting them on and off is awesome as well, as I never have to bend all the way down. I can just step in and out.

Sticking with nons is significantly cheaper however, so that could play a big part in your decision as well, as the price could double to triple if you go with the risers and bindings.
            Revel8 Revolt Condors - Spruce Pro Primes
            Line Mike Nick Pro's - Spruce Pro Primes (wife)

Comment

Hope I'm not prying too much, but are you saying she tore the ACL on skiboards with non-release bindings? on the 99cm MNPs? That would be the only one reported such injury that I've seen here (not that I have looked for them, just in very recent memory since I've only been a member here a relatively short time).

Also, if the Knee Bindings marketing is to be believed, release bindings would probably not protect against ACL injury that much better than non-release (won't protect the knee - they protect the shin bones, mainly) ...

Originally posted by Smok3y View Post
              ... I was hesitant to switch to the releasables, until my wife tore her ACL on the nons. That could happen on either, but the additional safety propelled us to make the change.

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                With that said I opt for full release bindings more and more since I got over 40 years old. The prospect of a broken leg equals lost time at work and would impact my family.
                I totally know what you mean! I am terrified of wrecking my knee or breaking a leg. My mom tore up her knee about 10 year ago skiing and hasn't been able to ski since. But... she was on skis with release bindings, so it goes to show you that that can happen regardless of the bindings. I would sorely miss it if i couldn't hit the slopes every season. It's one of the best things about living in Colorado.

Branden... well of course I went with the 2016s! I received them on Saturday and they are BEAUTIFUL!! I love the creepy, mysterious vibe. My husband and I are both gamers, so I find the graphic uber cool.

I'm leaning towards the non-release bindings, because I'm used to those. I'm a little wary of making too many changes all at once. The new Revolts look so big (ha!) next to my old Snowblades and while I know they are going to be epic, I'm very nervous for my first ride. After seeing them IRL I'm glad I went with the Revolts to start instead of the Blunt XLs.

Bought our passes for Loveland Pass today, so I need to get these bindings ordered.

Comment

Not a problem. You read it correctly. It is possible that her boot would have come loose in the fall had they been releasables, but that is definitely not guaranteed. As I mentioned in that post, you can get hurt with any bindings. I am definitely not blaming non-release bindings, only saying that it propelled us to go for safety first.

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
                  Hope I'm not prying too much, but are you saying she tore the ACL on skiboards with non-release bindings? on the 99cm MNPs? That would be the only one reported such injury that I've seen here (not that I have looked for them, just in very recent memory since I've only been a member here a relatively short time).

Also, if the Knee Bindings marketing is to be believed, release bindings would probably not protect against ACL injury that much better than non-release (won't protect the knee - they protect the shin bones, mainly) ...
                  Revel8 Revolt Condors - Spruce Pro Primes
                  Line Mike Nick Pro's - Spruce Pro Primes (wife)

Comment

Congrats on the new Revolts!!! I cant wait to hear a story about how they did for you!
                    bindings should be an easy choice if you know you want non release, but if you have any questions, you know we are all here.
                    facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

Just thought I would update... finally got to give my new Revolts a try this week up at Loveland Pass. Perfect conditions... powdery groomers. I was really anxious about the whole thing because they are a longer & wider than my Snowblades. I was able to get off the lift without falling on my @ss, so that was a good sign. LOL. I took it slow my first run, feeling them in. After that I was zipping all over, mostly keeping up with the family (my boys are speed demons) & having a blast! They are definitely more stable than the Snowblades... I don't feel wobbly going straight down runs. Getting off the lift I don't feel like I'm going to flip over them. And they are very easy to turn & maneuver. Love, love, love them!

I went with the red Revel8 Receptor bindings. Love the feel of them. They are light and I feel very "in tune" with the snow. Thinking I might want to try out some release bindings because being able to step into them would really nice.

Below is a pic on our first run of the season... I'm the one with the red helmet. Those are all my kidlets & my sister (my hubby is behind the lens)... all snowboards but my son.

Anyway, thanks for all the great advice!

First time in the slopes this season. Trying out my new #RVL8 #Revolts. What a blast!

A photo posted by irisheila (@irisheila) on

Comment

Thanks for the update and congratulations! Glad to hear the Revolts did so well for you😊.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
                        '07 "soft" ALPs
                        Eyeball DLPs
                        125 LEs
                        Ospreys mounted bindings
                        Crossbows
                        Spruce riser release bindings
                        Sometimes borrower of Chad's spare Blunt XLs

Comment

It is great to hear that the Revolts have worked out well for you and you now keep up to your family!
                          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Working...
                          X