• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shredfest VIII (2016) Schedule - North Lake Tahoe

The schedule for Shredfest VIII:

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...pshstqjcde.jpg

Notes:

• Official Shredfest activities are shaded green.
    • Please monitor this thread for updates.
    • Last minute changes will be communicated at the event so keep in touch with Jack and Wendell at the end of each day.
    • If you have not done so already, PM me (slow) to get on the contact list. (Exceptions are Team RVL8 and associates.)
    • When you PM me to get on the contact list, please include your real name, names of those that are accompanying you, your email address and a cell phone number if you will have a cell phone while in Tahoe.

The Shredfest VIII Thread:
    https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=16022

NOTE: The Meet & Greet & Meet & Bye addresses has been emailed to confirmed participants. Therefore if you plan on attending and have not done so already, please PM me your contact information.
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Lodging

I've been researching lodging for ShredFest for the past couple of months and it seems that all of the Truckee hotel prices keep rising and availability is already limited at some of those hotels.

Tonight I started looking at Tahoe City options and just found a great deal at America's Best Value Inn Tahoe City - $96.22 per night if you use their "Value Club Program" rate plan - free to join at http://www.americasbestvalueinn.com/ValueClub/

So far this appears to be the lowest per night price for a decent hotel. Anyone ever stayed at this hotel? Anyone have any thoughts on the property and/or the location in relation to all of the ShredFest festivities?

Edit: Here is the link to the hotel's website - http://www.americasbestvalueinn.com/bestv.cfm?idp=1013

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
      So far this appears to be the lowest per night price for a decent hotel. Anyone ever stayed at this hotel? Anyone have any thoughts on the property and/or the location in relation to all of the ShredFest festivities?
      Tahoe City is a great place to stay. It's right on the lake and is full of independent restaurants and curiosity shops. Both Alpine and Squaw are only 15 minutes away, with good road conditions. Northstar is a little further around the bay, but no further than Truckee.

The year we went we stays at the Pepper Tree Inn. It was nothing special, but was warm and comfortable and had hot showers. We used Booking.com and got it for about $100 a night. Those prices were actually a little less than Truckee. Truckee is nice, but is just anther town, we wanted to stay where we could see the lake and were glad we did. No point going all the way to Lake Tahoe to stay in a Motel 8 by the Interstate

On the downside, Sugar will be a longer drive for you if you go there on the Saturday (I would) and some of the evening social events will be in Truckee. It's not that bad a drive though.
      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
        Tahoe City is a great place to stay. It's right on the lake and is full of independent restaurants and curiosity shops. Both Alpine and Squaw are only 15 minutes away, with good road conditions. Northstar is a little further around the bay, but no further than Truckee.

The year we went we stays at the Pepper Tree Inn. It was nothing special, but was warm and comfortable and had hot showers. We used Booking.com and got it for about $100 a night. Those prices were actually a little less than Truckee. Truckee is nice, but is just anther town, we wanted to stay where we could see the lake and were glad we did. No point going all the way to Lake Tahoe to stay in a Motel 8 by the Interstate

On the downside, Sugar will be a longer drive for you if you go there on the Saturday (I would) and some of the evening social events will be in Truckee. It's not that bad a drive though.
        My current arrangements have me arriving Friday so that I can ride Sugar on Saturday. I don't mind the extra drive that day to be able to stay by the lake. Also doesn't hurt that I can get lodging in Tahoe City for $200+ less for the entire stay than what I can find in Truckee.

Comment

My scariest down hill experience in North Lake Tahoe was not on skiboards but going down hill in a rented Yukon SUV from our condo complex near the shore a few years back.

It had rained and frozen over night. I was able to maintain traction for the majority of the 1/4 mile down hill ride, but that last few feet were not controlled. Luckily there was enough crud on the road at the bottom of the hill that I was able to make the required sharp 90 degree turn.

Since that time, I always try to stay along roadways that are more heavily used and maintained.

Something to consider when in Tahoe.
          sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
            Since that time, I always try to stay along roadways that are more heavily used and maintained.

Something to consider when in Tahoe.
            So you vote for lodging in Truckee then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So you vote for lodging in Truckee then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              That has become our strategy, but it is not necessary. Use Google maps to check how much roadway is private and lower use to the accommodation. Also be prepared to wait the weather out if conditions turn nasty.
              sigpic

Comment

From Squaw Valley / Alpine Meadows:

"8 inches of new snow on November 2, 2015
                OVER 8 INCHES OF NEW SNOW
                Opening day is in 22 days. Are you ready?

There's nothing like fresh snow to start the week right. We've received over 8 inches of snow since 5am this morning, it's still coming down, the forecast calls for more snow through Wednesday, and our snowmaking team will be making snow this week. Godzilla is in the house!"

Comment

The Farmer's Almanac...

Don't know how much stock to put into The Farmer's Almanac, but the 3 that I've looked at so far (including the 2 that had the longest publication history on the magazine racks) have all forecast snow for the period around Shred Fest in the regions covering that part of CA/NV.
                  171cm/190lbs
                  Current Favorites:
                  RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                  Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                  Other boards I'm trying:
                  Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
                    Don't know how much stock to put into The Farmer's Almanac, but the 3 that I've looked at so far (including the 2 that had the longest publication history on the magazine racks) have all forecast snow for the period around Shred Fest in the regions covering that part of CA/NV.
                    The perfect scenario in my mind is for the Lake Tahoe area to get dumped on 1 hour after everyone arrives in town, and then to stop snowing before it causes problems departing

Comment

The perfect scenario in my mind is for the Lake Tahoe area to get dumped on 1 hour after everyone arrives in town, and then to stop snowing before it causes problems departing
                      Nah!

No fun skiboarding when you cannot see anything. One of the best parts of skiboarding in Tahoe is the scenery.

Best case IMO is good base with new snow overnight, then clear blue sky and no wind in the morning when loading onto the lift at the start of the day.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                        Nah!

No fun skiboarding when you cannot see anything. One of the best parts of skiboarding in Tahoe is the scenery.

Best case IMO is good base with new snow overnight, then clear blue sky and no wind in the morning when loading onto the lift at the start of the day.
                        I'll buy that! Fresh powder overnight - sunny blue skies by day!

Comment

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I think they already got more snow than last year! Gear up, It's going to be a big one
                            Last edited by CAN; 11-04-2015, 04:57 AM. Reason: Grammar
                            64 CM Bigfoot’s
                            100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
                            110 CM Rockered Condors
                            130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X