Skins for Ospreys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skins for Ospreys

Jeff recommended these skins - http://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/store#!/Tip-&-Tail-Skins-FREE-PRIORITY-MAIL-TO-USA-$18-INTERNATIONAL/p/7938625/category=1854647 for use on the Ospreys, but I am wondering what the kind of recommended specs are for skins for the Ospreys, if one want to source some from a shop that is no US-based.

For instance I know about these - http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/28510/pr...ut_to_fit.aspx - from a reputable, relatively local, shop here in the UK, but questions like the following arise:

• Will the clips fit an Osprey?
    • Is 140mm width as good as 145mm on an Osprey?

I think it would be worthwhile to list a couple of things to looks out for when purchasing skins for the Ospreys.
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
    Jeff recommended these skins - http://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/store#!/Tip-&-Tail-Skins-FREE-PRIORITY-MAIL-TO-USA-$18-INTERNATIONAL/p/7938625/category=1854647 for use on the Ospreys, but I am wondering what the kind of recommended specs are for skins for the Ospreys, if one want to source some from a shop that is no US-based.

For instance I know about these - http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/28510/pr...ut_to_fit.aspx - from a reputable, relatively local, shop here in the UK, but questions like the following arise:

• Will the clips fit an Osprey?
    • Is 140mm width as good as 145mm on an Osprey?

I think it would be worthwhile to list a couple of things to looks out for when purchasing skins for the Ospreys.
    The G3 skins you linked will not work on the osprey , they are sized for different lengths with the tail and the tip pieces already preattached to the skin... there is no length short enough for the osprey ... when they say cut to fit , they are talking about trimming the width of the skin .

So here is what to look for , the Ospreys are a very fat twin tip ski , that is also much shorter then a normal ski . First thing is that you will need a skin that does not have preattached tip and tail connectors already sewn into the skin as you will need to trim the length to fit .. it is ok to have a skin with a tail hook sewn in and then a bare tip , or else a skin with no tip or tail , , you will then need a proper tip hook to fit the skin to the very wide tip of the Osprey . Lots of adjustable tip loops that fit over the tip of the ski will not work for such a wide ski .... some sort of hook rather than a loop works best , the Climbing skins direct tip loop (really a hook ) is just perfect ... when I buy skins from other manufactures .. i have to buy after market climbing skins direct tip loops to use the skin ... for example i use black diamond skins with a preattached tail hook that works great , but the tip loop supplied does not work well , and I need to get an after mark wtclimbing skins direct or BCA tip hook ( BCA has the same kind of tip hook ) , On the climbing skins direct skins I like the tail hook because I don't have to fiddle with a tip hook on each end of the skin and just need to attach the tip hook to the skin the tail hook works on the osprey because it is relatiively flat and wide across the back to allow the tail hook to stay on .
    Hope that helps ... let me know if you have other questions . By the way both the tip and the tail hooks on the G3 skins would work fine but they just don't have the right length for the Osprey . The width is not that big of an issue ... I usually get a width around the width of the Osprey at the narrowest and just trim it to fit at the waist if it fits at the waist , I am fine with a straight skin the rest of the ski and do not necessarily need a super wide one to trim in an hourglass shape ...
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

How important are the tail clips generally? When I rented touring skis last winter, the skins didn't come with any tail attachments at all - just a loose floopy end.

Comment

Originally posted by LYK View Post
        How important are the tail clips generally? When I rented touring skis last winter, the skins didn't come with any tail attachments at all - just a loose floopy end.
        If skins are new and adhesive is good, they stay on OK without the tail clips but as skins are older and have less adhesive they tend to slip off easier, also in situations when you are putting the skins on and off alot on one trip skin adhesiveness can be an issue and skins can get wet or frozen and the tail clip gives extra insurance skins will not slip off...my personal preference is always to have skins with tail hooks
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Lots of good info. Thanks Jack.
          Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
          Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
          Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

In the first link from Jeff
            http://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/s...tegory=1854647
            I suppose you would select the 145mm Skin Width option. But, I don't have a clue what they are talking about in the Ring Width option of 70mm or 50mm.

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
              In the first link from Jeff
              http://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/s...tegory=1854647
              I suppose you would select the 145mm Skin Width option. But, I don't have a clue what they are talking about in the Ring Width option of 70mm or 50mm.
              The waist width of the osprey is 112mm so I actually select the 115mm skin and it is cheaper and I have to do less trimming
              like I said before I end up with less skin then if i selected the 145 mm skin but do a lot less trimming and the straight 115 skin seems fine ... you need the 70mm tip loop , that is the loop on the hook for the trimmed tail of the skin to fit through and you want the widest available ...
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Jack,

Do you ever clean your skins? I find mine are etting dirt oatches from having had to pass over patches of dirty snow.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                  Jack,

Do you ever clean your skins? I find mine are etting dirt oatches from having had to pass over patches of dirty snow.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
                  No , i don't , some dirt really doesnt matter, if its real dirty then perhaps I would use warm water and a brush which I think I did once because they were muddy ...
                  Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                  X