No announcement yet.

The season with no snow ????? No way !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The season with no snow ????? No way !

Tahoe had a dismal snow year this year ... before we got out today , we have only been in the backcountry three times and only at the beginning of the season . But there is magic lurking in the mountains . Alpine Meadows closed 2 weeks ago , and there was a new snow storm one week ago. Alpine Meadows is on forest service land and they allow climbing their ski area after the resort closes. So I gathered my buddies and we drove through a snowless tahoe until we found this view !!

Today Sempai is along and will try the rockered zero cambered modified Spruce Sherpa that Jeff Singer calls the Osprey ,equipped with Tyrolia Ambition touring bindings on a new backcountry riser .

I am on Blunt Xls for their first climb in the backcountry . This is a standard Sbol modified Sims binding . All I do to tour with it is to move the top and side straps to the back and interwine them and use the front strap over my boot .. I equip my board with skins and have drilled a Voile crampon mount into my board in front of my binding so I can use a crampon .

Time to start climbing ...

Further up the hill ..

Looking up the hill at the nice snow ...

And here is the video .... a fantastic end to the season !
    Jjue on Blunt Xls , Sempai on Spruce Ospreys ,, Jeff M . on Spruce Sherpas direct mounted with Fritschi bindings , and Bill on Hagan 130s with telemark bindings.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Wonderful! I wish I couldve gotten out more myself this season myself. I'm itching to see what skinning in skiboards would be like.

Could you share more details on how the new riser/binding combo performed?

Comment

Sempai,
      Did you like the Ospreys?
      Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
      Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
      Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
      History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
        Sempai,
        Did you like the Ospreys?
        Yes, and I love the touring bindings that were on them. They work so slick.
        Boards/Bindings:
        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by LYK View Post
          Could you share more details on how the new riser/binding combo performed?
          Here's a video that explains how the Tyrolia Ambition touring bindings work. They perform great!

Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Man now you've gotten me started, don't think I can let you can get away with one liner answers! =)

How do the tyrolias compare in use and performance to other touring bindings on the market? (say the solomon guardian/look and the marker binding designs? Those are the only other touring bindings i have experience with.)

How about the riser itself? Any issue with weight, stack height, or the riser ends digging into the board?

How did the osprey do in the traction department on the climb? Any issues getting the edges to bite with the rocker on harder snow? Difference between center mount/rear mount? Easier to break trail because of the rocker?

Please take your time in answering these questions, but you will have to answer for (and PAY!!) for getting time on these new toys! (and in mid april to boot!)

=) =) =)

Comment

Originally posted by LYK View Post
              Man now you've gotten me started, don't think I can let you can get away with one liner answers! =)

How do the tyrolias compare in use and performance to other touring bindings on the market? (say the solomon guardian/look and the marker binding designs? Those are the only other touring bindings i have experience with.)

How about the riser itself? Any issue with weight, stack height, or the riser ends digging into the board?

How did the osprey do in the traction department on the climb? Any issues getting the edges to bite with the rocker on harder snow? Difference between center mount/rear mount? Easier to break trail because of the rocker?

Please take your time in answering these questions, but you will have to answer for (and PAY!!) for getting time on these new toys! (and in mid april to boot!)

=) =) =)
              Sempai was on an AT binding for the very first time and on the Ospreys for only the second time ....I have had enough time on the Osprey/Tyrolia set up to make some comments from my perspective
              The Tyrolia binding is very similar to design and function to the Salomon/Guardian bindings and to the Fritschi bindings ( which I have used extensively) . They are different and IMHO more efficient for touring then the Marker bindings which require the user to step out of the binding to transition to climbing mode . They Tyrolia and other bindings allow the user to switch from downhill to climbing mode on the fly .. I find this very useful for making difficult side hilling climbs when I want to lock my heel down to climb up a section side hilling up and then release the freeheel when I get to the top ...

The riser adds some weight and does catch snow in the tray , it is a very low rise riser and I do not notice any problems with stack height... it does decrease crampon penetration a few mm but there is still good enough crampon penetration up the 2nd to the highest heel elevation position . I do not notice the riser ends hitting the boards.

I find no difference between the Sherpa and the Osprey in ability to side hill on firm snow ... the rocker rise on the Ospreys is very gentle and does not interfere with traversing on hard snow ... I do feel the Rocker helps a bit with breaking trail in soft snow compared to the non rockered Sherpa , I believe that the Osprey is best ridden in the center mount position in all conditions because of downhilling issues, .. .while the rear mount position works well in light pow , in crud and resistant breakable crust , IMHO the rockered portion of the Osprey does not give enough support for a rider to sit back on the tails effectively when in the rear mounted position .. on the other hand the Sherpa works brilliantly in all conditions from the rear mounted position which is the way I like to ride the Sherpa in the backcountry...

Hope that answers your questions .. let me know if you have other questions ...
              Boards :
              Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
              Boots
              K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
              Bindings:
              Zero Pro Non release Binding
              Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
              Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
              Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
              Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Thank you jjue for the info...
                Hopefully the bc setup makes it out of development this year for next season. I was really looking forward to trying them out... even bought the skins already.

Comment

Jack,

Thanks for the video. Snow condition at the top looked downright tasty.
                  "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Working...
                  X