I visited The Dark Side today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wookie View Post
    Was this board difficult to tune? I would think my ski shop would not know what to do with it and would screw it up.
    I only got it tuned once before I sold it off. Funny, I remember asking the kid behind the counter at REI's ski repair counter if it would be an issue but an older guy in the back came out, realized what we were talking about, and said it wasn't a concern, they've done plenty of them and it would be no problem. Edges were cleaned up and sharp after I picked it up so that was the last I thought of it.

Comment

• Dark side calls

Starting a three day mini ski trip today , today solo at Sierra at Tahoe , tomorrow Heavenly with Sempai , and then Tuesday Heavenly again with Mrs Jjue
      Tahoe got hammered with a colossal amount of snow and today for the first time the backcountry gates to Huckleberry canyon were open . Although I love my crossbows and my sherpas , I thought I needed a bigger gun today and I was right ! I had a great time on this Icleantic Shaman , no longer made , it is 160cm long with a big 160mm Sherpa like tip , and very tapered tail and set back bindings , no Rocker, regular camber , but the fish type design makes it amazing in deep pow and nice and turny in moguls and on groomers and firm snow .. Yeah not as much pure fun as a skiboard but in the right conditions it is magic.
      Shaman is 161 cm long 160-110-130 widths and 12 meter turn radius , stiff and cambered with no rocker.

DSC_0011

DSC_0007

DSC_0008
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrs. sempai View Post
        Glad to hear you felt good about doing so well on skis (and poles...uuugh) but please look into the light and come to your senses.
        (Can you tell that wifey is not happy about your post....)

"Shortys for life!"~Mrs. Sempai
        Hell yea, refuse to get old or grow up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• I took a ride on the dark side on Sunday... no, not long skis, but actual Salomon Snowblades.

The 'blades in question had some 15 year old wax remnants on them that made them painfully slow at the top (fresh snow), but honestly performed better than I expected. They carved better than I would have expected and worked really well when ridden with a tight parallel stance. I'm guessing this edition was a little stiffer than the average Snowblade, but they weren't as gruesome as I thought they'd be.

I had a full bag of skiboards out for the last day of the year, and had one buddy on Spliffs, another on my old Dynastar Twins... after my one Salomon lap, the buddy who brought them took them for a ride and I ended up riding a mismatched Spliff/DLP combo. That was another surprise... even though I find the ride to be quite different between the Spliffs and DLPs, I had no issues whatsoever riding one of each at the same time. Don't plan to make a habit of it, but anything goes on the last day.

Bummed that the hill's closed now, but only ~240 days till skiboard season!
          BOARDSLAYER
          Base / Edge Destruction X X X
          Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeps View Post
            I took a ride on the dark side on Sunday... no, not long skis, but actual Salomon Snowblades.

The 'blades in question had some 15 year old wax remnants on them that made them painfully slow at the top (fresh snow), but honestly performed better than I expected. They carved better than I would have expected and worked really well when ridden with a tight parallel stance. I'm guessing this edition was a little stiffer than the average Snowblade, but they weren't as gruesome as I thought they'd be.

I had a full bag of skiboards out for the last day of the year, and had one buddy on Spliffs, another on my old Dynastar Twins... after my one Salomon lap, the buddy who brought them took them for a ride and I ended up riding a mismatched Spliff/DLP combo. That was another surprise... even though I find the ride to be quite different between the Spliffs and DLPs, I had no issues whatsoever riding one of each at the same time. Don't plan to make a habit of it, but anything goes on the last day.

Bummed that the hill's closed now, but only ~240 days till skiboard season!
            You had me worried, I thought you were gonna say a snowboard... lol
            Sounds like you had a great day!
            Skis/Skiboards:
            2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
            2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
            2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
            2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
            20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
            2012 Salomon SPK 90
            2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
            2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeps View Post
              I took a ride on the dark side on Sunday... no, not long skis, but actual Salomon Snowblades.
              Blades don't qualify as the dark side. Hell, I'd love to get on a pair again. They're a blast!

Since my original post four years ago, I've had three pairs of skis (four if you count the pair I didn't ski and returned right away). I enjoyed my skis for the added stability and speed, but they all lacked the "fun factor" for me. That's why I am now a skiboarder only who owns NO SKIS anymore and never will again.
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• Originally posted by sempai View Post
                That's why I am now a skiboarder only who owns NO SKIS anymore and never will again.
                Famous last words. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                171cm/190lbs
                Current Favorites:
                RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                Other boards I'm trying:
                Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

• Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
                  Famous last words. [emoji16]

Hey, I said no more skis!

But I didn't say anything about not using my old man crutches (poles) anymore.
                  Boards/Bindings:
                  2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                  2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                  Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                  Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• I’ve been using skis more and more these last few seasons. And, the skis I’m using are getting longer. Skiboards are more fun, but are also harder work. They shorter they are, the more input they seem to need to have that fun. With my back and knees deteriorating each year, I’m finding that skis are giving me the chance to get out more often and ski a little longer. I still prefer skiboards in many situations, but if I’m just going to cruise the groomers, especially if it’s hard and icy, I’ll use my skis. And, nothing has edge hold like my skinny skis on ice.... nothing.
                    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

• Originally posted by sempai View Post
                      Hey, I said no more skis!

But I didn't say anything about not using my old man crutches (poles) anymore.
                      [emoji1]

171cm/190lbs
                      Current Favorites:
                      RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                      Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                      Other boards I'm trying:
                      Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

• Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                        I’ve been using skis more and more these last few seasons. And, the skis I’m using are getting longer. Skiboards are more fun, but are also harder work. They shorter they are, the more input they seem to need to have that fun. With my back and knees deteriorating each year, I’m finding that skis are giving me the chance to get out more often and ski a little longer. I still prefer skiboards in many situations, but if I’m just going to cruise the groomers, especially if it’s hard and icy, I’ll use my skis. And, nothing has edge hold like my skinny skis on ice.... nothing.
                        It's been so long since I've been on skis that I can't really make the comparison, but from what I remember it's a different kind of work. I feel like skiboarding is less work to wrestle the gear around (especially in powder, moguls etc), and that reacting to only what's underfoot makes it easier to deal with rough terrain and conditions, but the flipside is that your body needs to adsorb all the shocks that might be dampened out by a long ski. I feel a big day in my lower back muscles and my knees big time.

On the plus side, skiboarding gets my back and core ripped better than any other activity (I get a 6-pack on my back, I swear), but the knees and ankles are just taking wear and tear. Shinbones usually get pretty beat up too... this year there was less powder so I was doing less drops, but by the end of last season I was suspecting stress fractures & starting to worry I was going to snap a shin off at my boot cuff. Calves are in good shape this year from all the bootpacking though!

I've still shy of 40, and have a few good seasons left in me, but I'll be surprised if I don't have a pair of skis in the quiver before I turn 60 (Even my dad sold his downhill MTB and stopped hitting 30 ft gap jumps once he hit 60).
                        BOARDSLAYER
                        Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                        Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
                        X