I visited The Dark Side today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I visited The Dark Side today.

Yes, I tried skis. Please forgive me. It had been 16 years since I was last on a pair. They were much different back then, long, skinny and straight. I was a terrible skier. I couldn't even snow plow without busting my butt. Would things be different after all these years on skiboards. Read on and find out.

So I went to Mt. Rose this morning and rented these skis in 165 cm:

Salomon Scramblers Model 700

I also went with 125 cm poles.

After getting the skis on, I went straight to the bunny slopes. I made a handful of trips down the green runs. The first couple weren't pretty. I didn't fall, but I definitely was sloppy. Then after a couple more attempts, things started to click. I then decided to try my luck on a few blue runs. I did very well. It surprised me. I even went into the trees. I had to find a different technique than I usually use, but I managed to get through them without a wipeout. Now I was feeling really confident, so it was time to tackle some black runs. I worked my way through each black run taking what I considered was the easiest to the hardest. Once again I had no issues. It had only been like two hours on skis before I hit the black runs. I was very pleased with myself. Yay me!

So here is what I have discovered. Skis today are much better than they were back when I skied. All my years of skiboarding definitely provided me with the skills needed to be a good skier today. Skis have some advantages over skiboards. They are faster and more stable at speed. Skis also float through the slush better and do not get bogged down like skiboards. I also like the extra surface area for landing jumps. I found skis easy to carve and keep in control. I thought I'd never say this, but I actually enjoy using poles. They're handy in the lift lines and for initiating turns. I really like all the extra glide skis give. It makes for a lot less skating. Now for what I like better about skiboards. They are lighter and way more maneuverable. They are more fun and playful. Skis are fun in their own way, but they definitely aren't playful IMO.

My dilemma going forward will be that I want to skiboard and ski both. I sold off a bunch of boards this season trying to simplify my choices. Now after skiing today, I want to buy skis. I'm even thinking about the Spruce longboards again. I really liked having the added stability and speed today. I love my shorties, but I have to admit that they take a toll on my aging body. They're great on nice snow, but in variable junk they wear me out and make my body ache.

Oh, one thing I didn't mention about today is that I really enjoyed not feeling like an outcast. I had no questions to answer or derogatory remarks to endure. It was nice!

P.S. Bluewing, I get it now.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Wow!
    Never thought it would happen. The altitude must be affecting you. Time to come back to the Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

It's a freaking epidemic. Someone call the CDC and arrange for a quarantine before more people get sick.

"....I actually enjoy using poles." .... The poor guy isn't even making sense. Maybe it's a stroke or early onset Alzheimers.

Or worse .... There was an embedded subliminal message in that Salomon April Fools joke that was intended to brainwash skiboarders. Oh the humanity of it all. The big ski companies are picking off riders like lions feasting on weaker wildebeests from the herd.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Glad to hear you felt good about doing so well on skis (and poles...uuugh) but please look into the light and come to your senses.
        (Can you tell that wifey is not happy about your post....)

"Shortys for life!"~Mrs. Sempai
        boards: '08 Allz, '12 RVL8 Slapdashes, '15 RVL8 Blunt XLs
        bindings: RVL8 Receptors
        boots: Salomon Symbio 8.0 boots

Comment

fr

Oh man , I thought this was an April fools joke and then realized it wasn't April 1st!!
          I should never have loaned Sempai my poles the last time out, yikes!!!
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. sempai View Post
            Glad to hear you felt good about doing so well on skis (and poles...uuugh) but please look into the light and come to your senses.
            (Can you tell that wifey is not happy about your post....)

"Shortys for life!"~Mrs. Sempai
            In skiboarding court this is legitimate grounds for divorce when your husband cheats on you with long skis. Mrs. Sempai gets full custody of all skiboards and control of his SBOL screen name. Compensation for pain and suffering starts at $1,000,000 and goes up from there. Temporary insanity is the only possibly defense here.
            Boards:
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

And you guys gave me a hard time just for using 120s !!!!!
              Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                I love my shorties, but I have to admit that they take a toll on my aging body. They're great on nice snow, but in variable junk they wear me out and make my body ache.

P.S. Bluewing, I get it now.
                er........P.S. Bad Wolf, I get it now and apologize for calling you a wimp on the chairlift at Brighton
                Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I visited The Dark Side today.

It must be a time zone thing. Certainly it is April 1st at Mount Rose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                    And you guys gave me a hard time just for using 120s !!!!!
                    Not me! though I may have given you a hard time for taking so long to embrace the smooth classic luxury of the Spruce 120.
                    Boards:
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                      ....I should never have loaned Sempai my poles the last time out, yikes!!!
                      There will be a formal inquiry and disciplinary action!
                      Boards:
                      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                        er........P.S. Bad Wolf, I get it now and apologize for calling you a wimp on the chairlift at Brighton
                        It is your fault Bad Wolf! You will not be forgiven.
                        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Never thought I'd see this!
                          Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                          Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                          Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                          History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                            Time to come back to the Midwest.
                            That's not going to happen. If I did, I would definitely only skiboard. Skis are overkill on such tiny hills.
                            Boards/Bindings:
                            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                              Yes, I tried skis. Please forgive me. It had been 16 years since I was last on a pair. They were much different back then, long, skinny and straight. I was a terrible skier. I couldn't even snow plow without busting my butt.
                              So all of this CRAZY TALK has me wondering. . .

How many people started skiboarding because they struggled on skis vs. started skiboarding because of the fun factor?

For my family it is a story of both - my son wanted to get into snowsports and struggled on both snowboards and skis. Skiing was second nature to me (I think my hockey playing helped significantly), but I spent one summer researching options about how to better help my son learn skiing and came across lots of info about how easy it is to learn on short skis, skiblades, skiboards, etc. At the same time I was reading about how much fun they are for skaters, hockey players, etc.

For my son - the results were immediate - so much so, that what had been disappointment about not being able to enjoy a snowsport, has now turned into an obsession with it. He may one day move up to skis having mastered many skills on skiboards. At the same time, he really enjoys the fun factor too - so who knows.

For me - I love the fun factor, the playfulness, and the ability to do quick short turns, darting in and out of snow obstacles (real or imagined). . . Honestly, I love the work out - most days I push myself hard, I want to feel my quads burn as I carve and cut hard and propel myself faster into the next turn. I haven't put on skis again, and am not sure if I will. This year I rode Raptors (125cm) and they were too long for me - not enough of the fun factor (quick short carves). Then at the end of the season I purchased some Hagan Offlimits (133cm) from Wendell - partly to see what the "cult" culture was with these short skis, and partly because they can make great loaners for friends. Yep, also too long for me.

Will I ski on big sticks again? Maybe. But not because skiboards were just a training stop for me. Skiboards have been a destination for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X