Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My attempt at making a homemade riser! Fail but a fun project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My attempt at making a homemade riser! Fail but a fun project.

A fairly detailed description and images at imgur.com.

They didn't work very well (as I sort of anticipated). The bindings simply pulled out with a fair amount of pressure applied. I wouldn't have trusted them too much anyway, but it was a fun experiment!

Let me know what you guys think.

http://imgur.com/a/aKBTZ

The concept looks sound. You likely just need a different material for the riser. The wood looks like pine. If you used a harder wood or a plastic it should work.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by joshmcintyre View Post
      The bindings simply pulled out with a fair amount of pressure applied.
      Those screws should not have come out. I've mounted adult bindings on my daughter's 80cm kid skis into 6mm foam core and they held up under my then 210lb weight for a full season. The skis started breaking but that's a different story

Make sure that the screws are clean. Sometimes wood glue is applied to them (I assume those bindings were on skis before) and can fill up the grooves.

It's also important to use the correct size drill, most common is 3.5mm. I don't have metric drills, so I use #28 size bits (those are ~3.59mm).

Last but not least don't overtorque them. Doesn't take much to destroy the wood with such aggressive screws. Tighten by hand, no power tools.

Those skiboards are so short and they look pretty thick, I would mount the bindings straight to the boards without risers. That piece of wood defeats all flex of the board. Ski bindings are designed to allow flexing of the skis (the rears are not static, they are spring mounted so they can move back).

Comment

Working...
      X