Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Few Skiboarding Questions (Bought Spruce STS 120's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similar experience with leg burnout here. My first time out on boards last year my legs were completely blitzed after just a couple of runs, almost like I was fighting the boards on the turns. Once I got more upright and figured out where to sit and let the boards turn on their radius, instead of mine, it suddenly became a lot easier.
    2008 Chickens, 2014 Blunts
    2014 Spruce Pro Sport Risers + Tyrolia SL100
    2012 Nordica Enforcer boots
    Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
      Welcome to skiboarding and the forum Shay.

The best advice I can provide is give the 120s a few more days on the slopes so you can adapt to them. What I mean by that is you need to learn how to skiboard verses trying to ski the skiboards. Ironically, you will be a better skier once you become a skiboarder.

To be a skiboarder you need to stay on edge, which can be large radius curves or small tight radius curves. Staying flat on cambered skiboards, is not always stable. (Rockered skiboards are more forgiving in this regard.) As for the leg burn, you need to shift your weight forward and gain the confidence that you do not have to weigh the tails to keep the tips up.

1) yes, stay in carves by edging, but alter the radius for desired speed and control. Stay with the 120s for now, they are the SUV of skiboards.

2)You will come to appreciate the riser/binding height when you graduate to wider skiboards. Once again, give it time to adapt.

3)Shorter skiboards generally have smaller radius side cuts so they allow tighter carves. Stick with the 120s IMO.

In short time you will pick it up. Just use them as skiboards, not skis.
      I second this. "Slow" I love the boards had all the same feelings as you for a few weeks or moe. You will settle in!! The boards are great and stable at speed once you settle in. Boards just ride a little different.
      Twoowt Lions RVL8 Rockered Condor-Revel8 SlapDash "Crayon"-Spuce Mountain "Sherpa" 130 Red Plaid-"125 LE" White Boards-120 "Chair Lift"-Summit Boards "Marauder 125SE"-"Rocker Inverigo 118"-"Custom 110"-"Nomad 99""Jade 87"-2014 Spruce Mountain "Pro Sport Riser" Tyrolia SL 100 Bindings (2 sets-325mm & 295mm settings)-Line FF Pro & FF Cam None Release Bindings-2013/14 Nordica "13/14 Cruise 80 & 60" ski boot

Comment

Thanks for all the new replies. It definitely gives me a lot of hope. Hopefully I will get out this week.

Comment

Just an update- I ended up getting out last Friday. No Foot or leg burn at all I still have a ways to go but I did manage to do a few small jumps Big ones still scare the crud out of me.

I still get a lot of chatter at high speeds and am not super comfortable unless I am carving tight. Definitely progressing though.

I can carve left like mad....carving right is giving me issues. I think If I get that figured out, I should be good to go. Some times I find my self doing a quick carve left to slow myself down as I can't get into the right turn. Funny thing is, I can carve right(toeside) all day on a snowboard but lot left(Heelside) I know the mechanics are not the same but I find it humorous

Comment

But did you have fun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
              But did you have fun?
              Hey Slow! Sorry again I missed you! Yes I did have fun and I went one more time after this and am liking it more and more each time. I actually started off snowboarding because my friend wanted to snowboard (We are both horrible) My left ribs just healed from my last time out snowboarding so I thought what the heck. Well.....45 minutes in to it, I busted my right ribs! I am not a good faller. I catch my front edge and fall on my fists. I get the wind knocked out of me and am sore for 2 months...I fall on the longest length of my fist is why I mess myself up so bad. I have no idea how snowboarders make it look so easy. I can toe side all day long but cannot heel side to save my life. Anyhow....I went right to my SkiBoards for the rest of the night while my friend crashed and burned. I was getting some good speed with good control. Even better then the last time. I would say I am almost to the point of being better on the Skiboards than my Ski's I may just yet become a full time Skiboarder.

Hopefully other beginners can read this thread and have hope It really does come fast!!

Shay

Comment

Glad to hear it is working out for you Shay. Keep edging rather than running flat.

Keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

Probably my last reply on his thread as to not keep it going for years. I am simply amazed at how well I adapted to these Skiboards. As I stated in previous replies, I had trouble at high speeds as I didn't feel stable. Well all that is gone now. I can bomb a hill at 35-40 and it feels pretty good.

As far as feeling more of the terrain. Someone mentioned they actually like that, and I can now say that so do I! I don't know what it is but I dig it

Wider carves at high speeds also feel real good. I look back to when I was at Welch and almost gave up due to how hard it felt to do a wide carve and think wow what a difference. And to think, I almost gave up.

I will say again that I hope a newcomer can read through this thread and gain the confidence to know that it all comes very quickly. I also appreciate all the comments and help given by the community. I don't even take my Skis with me anymore as they just don't compare to my 120's.

Shay

Comment

Originally posted by Shaymon View Post
                    Probably my last reply on his thread as to not keep it going for years. I am simply amazed at how well I adapted to these Skiboards. As I stated in previous replies, I had trouble at high speeds as I didn't feel stable. Well all that is gone now. I can bomb a hill at 35-40 and it feels pretty good.

As far as feeling more of the terrain. Someone mentioned they actually like that, and I can now say that so do I! I don't know what it is but I dig it

Wider carves at high speeds also feel real good. I look back to when I was at Welch and almost gave up due to how hard it felt to do a wide carve and think wow what a difference. And to think, I almost gave up.

I will say again that I hope a newcomer can read through this thread and gain the confidence to know that it all comes very quickly. I also appreciate all the comments and help given by the community. I don't even take my Skis with me anymore as they just don't compare to my 120's.

Shay
                    Glad to hear that you discovered the magic of skiboards!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X