Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sherpa vs. Raptor vs. Blunt XL - which is best *for me*?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, when I asked my original question 3 years ago, I had no idea how different the boards I mentioned were ... The XLs are wide and short-ish , the Raptors narrow and long. I hated the XLs on East Coast groomers snow and loved the Raptors. I'd love to try XLs some day in their I tended environment, soft powder.

Comment

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
      Well, when I asked my original question 3 years ago, I had no idea how different the boards I mentioned were ... The XLs are wide and short-ish , the Raptors narrow and long. I hated the XLs on East Coast groomers snow and loved the Raptors. I'd love to try XLs some day in their I tended environment, soft powder.
      XLs are fabulous in west coast powder - highly recommended. But back on the east coast I've spent 5 days on Raptors over the holidays with the XLs sitting in my bag - an unexpected turn of events. Past forum posts about the Raptors suggest that they are specialty boards, but I don't think I can agree. They are not any harsher than the XL on groomers to me and in fact offer a lot more stability while carving at speed. On ice I do have to fully engage the edges, but it's a less aggressive posture than on the XLs. I'll have to see how the Raptors perform out west, but I like them a lot.

Incidentally my XLs and Raptors are reverse camber. I'm not complaining, but is this normal or are my board just special?

Comment

Originally posted by Fun Machine View Post
        XLs are fabulous in west coast powder - highly recommended. But back on the east coast I've spent 5 days on Raptors over the holidays with the XLs sitting in my bag - an unexpected turn of events. Past forum posts about the Raptors suggest that they are specialty boards, but I don't think I can agree. They are not any harsher than the XL on groomers to me and in fact offer a lot more stability while carving at speed. On ice I do have to fully engage the edges, but it's a less aggressive posture than on the XLs. I'll have to see how the Raptors perform out west, but I like them a lot.

Incidentally my XLs and Raptors are reverse camber. I'm not complaining, but is this normal or are my board just special?
        Both of these boards ride harsher than a cambered board due to the zero camber and rocker. So your observations are correct.
        Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Working...
        X