Anywhere in PA - Jan 17th or 18th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anywhere in PA - Jan 17th or 18th

Anyone up for riding? I haven't ridden yet this season...

I could do an afternoon on the 17th or all day on the 18th. Weekends aren't my preference, but it's my last shot to get out before the MWM.

Unfortunately, I'll be away this weekend, otherwise I'd definitely join you.
    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

I will likely be at Bear Creek on Saturday and Sunday morning. I start riding at 8:30am when the lifts open and usually ride until 11:30 when the crowd starts to pick up. The nice part about a season pass is it makes it easy to ride for a few hours and then head back home.
      In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
      Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

I was planning on riding at Spring Mountain on Sunday just to avoid the Holiday Weekend crowds at the "bigger" PA mountains ... Spring tends to be quiet during MLK an Presidents Days. Spring is certainly not worth the drive from MD but if you decide to connect with some other guys at Bear Creek or any of the other mountains post is here and I'll see if I can join. I have some friends that may be skiing Big Boulder so I may be there too.
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I'm up for any of these mountains!

I'll make a decision later just in case anyone else wants to join in. The particular mountain doesn't matter that much to me.

Comment

I'd likely be in for Bear Creek on Sunday (assuming the weather holds out .... there is a chance of rain in the forecast).

Anyone else interested??
            Boards:
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
              I'd likely be in for Bear Creek on Sunday (assuming the weather holds out .... there is a chance of rain in the forecast).

Anyone else interested??
              Just replied to your PM. Sunday it is!

Comment

I will be at Bear Creek as usual on Sunday. Will be starting at 8:30am. My suggestion is get there early to get in maybe 2 hours before the crowds start to build.
                Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                  I will be at Bear Creek as usual on Sunday. Will be starting at 8:30am. My suggestion is get there early to get in maybe 2 hours before the crowds start to build.
                  I'll be sure to look for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                    Originally posted by ElkCloner View Post
                    I'll be sure to look for you!
                    You guys still planning to connect at Bear Creek tomorrow? Looks like a pretty good chance of rain.
                    Boards:
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

I have the benefits of a season pass and only being 45 minutes away so unless it is raining when I normally would leave for the mountain around 7:20am, then I am going to go. Forecast I saw this morning had light rain in that area starting between 9 and 10am with the area generally being in the area of less rain based on the computer model. If it does end up and start raining too had while I am there it is easy for me to pull the plug and pack it up.
                      Think Like a Mountain

Comment

ElkCloner gets a "Hardcore Rider" award for today. The forecast was 100% chance of rain starting in the morning with a chance of freezing rain yet he drove 2.5 hours to ski just over 500 vertical feet at Bear Creek. The morning started off OK - overcast with a light mist and 28 degrees F or so. For the first 45 minutes the snow was the best I have seen at Bear Creek in maybe 4 years - medium soft corduroy that was wall-to-wall, top-to-bottom consistently smooth and nice. Effortless riding - my Sherpas just flowed through the snow and the transition between turns were magical - a brief moment of weightlessness as the edges from one carve released and the boards just flowed under me with zero effort before the edges hooked up seamlessly into the next carve. Pure magic.

Then it started to drizzle a freezing rain. A light coating of ice started to cover the corduroy making it the ride just slightly less smooth but even faster. Then, a steady rain. Then a fairly heavy steady rain at 34 degrees. The fog kept getting heavier. Thank goodness for goretex and other breathable, waterproof fabrics. My cheap mittens gave it up early and my glove liners were soaking wet for quite a while. My hands have not been that cold in a while.

It was nice to meet and ride with ElkCloner. He was rocking ALP LEs and a world-class beard that was icing up in the freezing rain. I think when we stopped riding a bit after noon or so there might have been 20 other people on the mountain. Miserable weather at the end but still a blast. As ElkCloner said - beats sitting at home.

The parking lot when I was leaving:

My car when I was leaving - steady rain:

Think Like a Mountain

Comment

Thanks for riding with me! Keeping up with you was a challenge.

I regretted not bringing a change of clothes to the mountain. 3 hours in the car while wearing wet sweatpants is no fun at all. Though I guess "Doesn't matter; went skiing" applies.

Comment

Originally posted by ElkCloner View Post
                            I regretted not bringing a change of clothes to the mountain. 3 hours in the car while wearing wet sweatpants is no fun at all. Though I guess "Doesn't matter; went skiing" applies.
                            "Doesn't matter; went skiing" - so true

I've done that a few times on fly fishing day trips - don't ask how I ended up soaking wet while wearing chest high goretex waders but it has happened on occasion….
                            Think Like a Mountain

Comment

I am not sure if I am glad or upset that I didn't join you two. In light of my buddies who wrecked their car trying to get to Big Boulder yesterday I am, at the least, fortunate to not have to deal with that (they were not injured but never made it to the mountain).

Hopefully I can connect with you later in the season.

ElkCloner - Got your PM and tried to reply but you inbox is full. Would definitely be up for something in February.
                              Boards:
                              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Working...
                              X