AT Boots for Skiboarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT Boots for Skiboarding

I am starting this thread for people to post information about AT boots that they have found to work with skiboards, especially with the Black Diamond Diamir Freestyle bindings & Tyrolia AAAdrenalin bindings that are offered through Spruce.
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
    I am starting this thread for people to post information about AT boots that they have found to work with skiboards, especially with the Black Diamond Diamir Freestyle bindings & Tyrolia AAAdrenalin bindings that are offered through Spruce.
    The difference with all Alpine Touring boots vs regular downhill ski boots , is that they have a lugged vibram hiking sole and generally a larger toe box. Alpine touring boots will NOT work in regular downhill release bindings including the standard Spruce riser system , while they are designed to work in the release bindings of AT bindings like the Diamir or Tyrolia AAA bindings, including the new Spruce supplied Tyrolia AAA binding/backcountry riser system. , On the other hand regular downhill ski boots will work fine in all non release ski board bindings, the Spruce bindings and the AT bindings.
    One special type of AT boots are Dynafit specific AT boots which are not designed to be used in bar type AT bindings like the Diamir or AAA bindings but only in special "Tech bindings " .. Most AT boots now go both ways and can be used in Diamir /Tyrolia/Marker AT bindings as well as in Dynafit type "tech bindings" that are based on pin slots in the boot . In the pictures below you can see the pin slots in the front of my AT boots so it can be used in "tech "type AT bindings.

In regards to skiboards , certain non release skiboard bindings do not work well with AT boots because the opening is not big enough . Prominent among those is the Bomber Elite 2 which has too narrow an opening to work well with some AT boots. The Line FF pros , Zeros and Receptors do have a wide enough opening in the front to allow them to work well with most AT boots.

AT boots tend to be signficantly more expensive then regular downhill boots. I have not necessarily found them to be much better for use in the backcountry with AT bindings unless you need to do a lot of hiking on dry ground ... The most important thing for backcountry use is to find a nice lightweight ,comfortable downhill boot , a way to release the forward lean into a more upright stance for skinning is nice. I really like my Full Tilt Booters for backcountry use in the Spruce supplied AAA At binding/riser system...

Here is my Scarpas locked into a Receptor skiboard binding . ps I am using an ancient pair of 3 buckle Scarpa Lasers that are no longer made. The current Scarpa line up has 4 buckle beefier boots.

Here is the opening of the front bale of the receptors showing how the wide toe of the AT boot just barely fits...

Here is a picture of the sole of my AT boots so you can see how they are much nicer for hiking on dry ground then regular downhill ski boots...
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Nice intro, Jack.

There are now some boots on the market which ship with two different soles. One alpine & one touring sole.

I do like your idea of the FTs, even though they are not a good fit for everyone.
      Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
      Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
      Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

K2 Pinnacle Boots

I have used a pair for the the last three seasons. Most of it has been on-piste, but some for touring. Thet fit well into the Ambition bindings and with all of the other bindings that come fitted on Spruce risers. So a plus, if you want one set of boots that will work well for both normal skiboard on-piste riding and also with the Spruce backcountry touring rigs, they are a good compromise.

BUT they are heavy and even a half-day worth of skinning on them can be tiring, At this poin tin time I would definitely not consider them for anything multi-day.

Comment

Working...
        X