Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 KTP with non-release hardboot first impressions

BACKGROUND:
    2015 marks my return to the slopes in nearly 4 years. I have been skiing since 1984, skiboarding since 2001. I have used Snowjam 90's with Extreme 2 non-release bindings exclusively since 2003. I ride all over the mountain but prefer to keep my feet on the ground and my ass out of a sling so I stay out of the parks. Thanks to a drought and life getting in the way, it has been nearly 4 years since I've been able to get back to the slopes; consequently, the deterioration of my skills, abilities and body should come as a surprise to absolutely no one (except me, of course...I'm still in shock).

UNBOXING:
    These are by far the highest-quality pair of skiboards I've ever seen. When evaluating that statement, consider I have only ever seen two other pair of skiboards: 2001 Groove Taxis and 2003 Snowjam 90s (I am excluding the Salomon Snowblades for obvious reasons). The Snowjams were an enormous step up in quality and performance from the Taxis, and the KTPs are at least a head above the Snowjams, possibly shoulders too. The KTPs are Serious Business(tm). I am not a huge fan of the graphics this year but that's merely a stylistic preference; the artist is talented and the theme consistent. The KTPs are wider, longer, stiffer and have a more pronounced camber than the Snowjams.

PERFORMANCE:
    I moved my Extreme 2 non-release bindings from the SnowJams to the KTPs and took them to Northstar at Tahoe yesterday. Conditions were excellent in every possible way save one: the snow. Because of the drought, there is minimal coverage and what is there has melted and refrozen dozens of times. Thankfully a good 6 inches dropped a couple days earlier otherwise I would be evaluating the KTP's performance as a sledding platform.

-Ice: Ice sucks no matter what is strapped to your feet. Having read a forum post regarding edge angles when dealing with ice, I paid careful attention them as I traversed the ice yesterday to great success. The technique surely kept me from sliding out, but I am confident the stiffness and width of the board helped tremendously with my ability to moderate my angles with precision. I doubt I would have had as easy a time on the ice with the Snowjams.

-Hardpack/Groomers: Zero problems here. The KTPs carve gracefully and predictably. I didn't have any trouble putting them on edge, but I'm a tall fellow with long legs wearing ski boots; the leverage works in my favor here. The KTPs felt very natural to me, even given the increased width over the SnowJams.

-Crud: There wasn't any to be found this time out.

-Powder: In the very few places I could find powder, it was shallow (4") and short-lived (20' at a stretch at most). I thoroughly enjoyed the taste KTPs gave me, and am excited to try them out for realsies later this season.

OVERALL:
    I am very impressed with the KTPs and I think I made the right decision for me; when I ordered them, there were no reviews of the Blunt XL. I'm sure I would have a blast on the XLs, but I think, given the conditions I'm likely to ride in for the forseeable future and my riding style, a stiff, cambered board was the right call.
    ------------------
    2020 Spruce Slingshots
    2015 KTPs
    2009 Allz 94cm
    2003 Snowjam 90s

Great stuff. Hope you continue to enjoy your return.
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

Agree with Valmorel. Looking forward to see you get back into it, and see how the softboot change works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X