Need help getting first skiboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help getting first skiboards

Hi, I've just joined this forum and have read a lot about the different types of skiboards available but I'm struggling as there is such a lot of choice! I'd really appreciate some help from people who know more than i do. Here's my background:

45 years old
    5'9" 155 lbs
    Good level of fitness mainly from running.
    Intermediate skier but only get to go once every two/three years so progression difficult.
    Tried short skis the last couple of times (Head I think they were) and found them a lot more fun than regular skis.
    Really excited about getting some proper skiboards as I'm sure they'll be a big improvement over the Heads.

I expect I'll be spending most of my time carving on groomed runs but it would be nice to think I could get something that allowed me to be a bit more adventurous and get off the runs and, maybe, try out some small jumps and stuff like that.

I'm swaying towards release bindings mainly for injury avoidance - not sure if I'm being too cautious.

I was looking at the Spruce Raptors as the package looks really good value but I'm not sure if they'll be ideal for my size. I've read so many reviews that my head's spinning - some people say they don't work so well on icy runs. Others say the opposite.

I've also been looking at the Revolts and the Summit Nomads. According to the skiboard selection table the Revolts would appear to be good for me.

I'm on a bit of a budget. I'm from the UK and I'll be skiing in Canada in March. I have the option of getting some delivered to my friend in Canada if I can get a good deal locally.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David

RVL8 2015 Rockered Blunt XL 100cm Skiboards

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Where in the UK are based? It might be possible to meet at Xscape and have you actually try some of these boards.
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
        Where in the UK are based? It might be possible to meet at Xscape and have you actually try some of these boards.
        Indeed. We have some different boards and bindings to try out.
        Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
        Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
        Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
          Indeed. We have some different boards and bindings to try out.
          What a great sport and amazing community this is!
          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. The blunt XLs look amazing - definitely now on my short list.

Xscape Milton Keynes? I'm not far away. Do they have skiboards for hire/sale there?

Comment

No, but some of us could meet you there and bring demo boards for you. Our next trip is tomorrow at 8.30 am.
              Crossbow (go to dream board)
              Most everything else over time.
              Go Android

Comment

No, but some of us could meet you there and bring demo boards for you. Our next trip is tomorrow at 8.30 am.
                If ukDavid cannot make it tomorrow, I can make it another day - actually anytime time next week, I reckon. Except I don;t have any Bunt XLs for him to try out, although pretty much anything else in my signature is available.
                Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Thanks very much for that kind offer ysb33r and Valmorel. I probably won't be able to make it before Christmas but I'll check back and get in touch to see if we can meet up at a convenient time after.

Must say it seems like a nice community here

Comment

Anything sub 100 would be perfect for groomers and with your hight and riding ability style the risk of injury from non release is minimal. In fact i ride much more aggressive all mtn and park. Even my 110 models are equipped with non release. We are pretty close in build and height. For groomers the shorter boards will be much more agile and easier to adapt too. If your looking for something to have dialed i. By the end of your first run id stick to the 98cm and under boards considering you only get out so few times every few years.
                    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comment

Great to see the response from the community!

In addition, I think the Blunt XL, based on the recent reviews, sounds like the most solid option.
                      Riding: RVL8 '15 Rockered Condors
                      Bindings: RVL8 '15 Black Receptors | Tyrolia Attack 13 Release Bindings
                      Boots: Full Tilt '14 Booters - 27.5

Comment

Working...
                      X