Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Do you use release or non-release bindings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DECKER View Post

Also, I picked up new boots that are a longer boot length then the Peak 11 bindings are set at now. Can I reset the boot length myself or should I take it to a shop? The bindings are set at 296mm now, the new boot length is 308mm.

Thanks.
    You can do it yourself, but have to be very careful not to strip the threads on the soft riser with the harder self tapping binding screws. The screws are also Posidrive, so you need to use a Posidrive screwdriver. I would also contact Jeff at Spruce to find out which holes to use in the riser.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

decker

Thanks, I'll call him.

Comment

decker

I talked to Jeff. He told me how to move the heel piece to fit the boot, it was easy. There was no need to remount the bindings. Thanks again.

Comment

Decker

I like the color of you XLs, did you paint them?

Comment

Originally posted by DECKER View Post
            I like the color of you XLs, did you paint them?
            Thanks. It's 651 vinyl from Oracle.

Comment

I have tried all 3 types of bindings, and I've found each has its pros and cons.

Softboot Non-Release
              I've used these the most, and I'd say they are probably my favorite.

Pro's
              • Very responsive
              • Comfortable
              • Great for hiking

Con's
              • Not as predictable
              • Less safe
              • Hard to get in and out of bindings

Hardboot release
              These are really nice too, particularly given the extra safety and ease of getting in and out.

Pro's
              • Predictable
              • Easy in and out
              • Safest choice

Con's
              • Can be uncomfortable
              • Heaviest boot/binding setup

Hardboot non-release
              These I didn't really care for, they don't have the convenience of release and require hard boots

Pro's
              • Predictable
              • Lighter than release

Con's
              • Not as safe
              • Can be uncomfortable
              • Hard to get in and out of
              Last edited by snowjam; 02-12-2016, 07:18 AM. Reason: Added some thoughts on all types

Comment

Holy Thread Revival, Batman!

But seriously, that's a nice summary on the different types, from your perspective. I have to say, though, that my perspective on the hardboot non-release is different due to my step-in setup, which makes getting in and out of the bindings very easy.
                RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

I use both depending on the amount of risk for the day. for example Solo backcountry trip on skiboards over 100cm? Releasables for sure. Park day on shorter skiboards with some friends? Non-Releasables. Lending a set and teaching someone to skiboard? They get the releasables and I'll take the non-releasables.
                  Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Now that I have found a way to fabricate my own risers, it's release for me all the time. The safety aspect is a factor, but it's more about convenience. The ability to step in and out of a binding easily outweighs the minor increase in weight. I did have a two falls with releases this season, so I feel there is some safety benefit as well. My risers are low profile and flex with the board, so the feel and response are really close to the FF Pros I used to use. It's a good solution for me.

Comment

If you don't mind my asking, why do you make your own risers?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsparkle View Post
                        If you don't mind my asking, why do you make your own risers?
                        Mainly, because it's fun, and keeps the sport alive for me during the long hot summer months.

The risers were my attempt to build a better mousetrap for release bindings on skiboards. I wanted to be able to make a low profile riser for any binding, any boot size and any binding insert pattern or set back I also wanted to be able to customize the width and length of the riser and have the bindings be easily removable. Lastly I wanted to improve the ride feel by making the riser flex with the board. After a lot of experimenting, the solution was to make the riser from 1/2 inch HDPE and use the Binding Freedom insert system to secure the bindings with machine screws.

Comment

Working...
                        X