Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Do you use release or non-release bindings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Do you use release or non-release bindings?

Which do you use? I am preparing to order my first pair of skiboards (Revolt Trees) and am stuck in the middle trying to make this decision. I know the pros and cons of both, but that hasn't helped me lean one way or the other.
    Release Bindings (hard boot)
    36.51%
    Non-Release Bindings (hard boot)
    31.75%
    Both, depending on what I'm doing on the mountain that day
    20.63%
    Non-Release Bindings (soft boot)
    11.11%

I've tried both but since I don't do park and also don't ride anything shorter than Sherpas anymore, I have no use for non-release.

When I was using both a few seasons back, I really couldn't feel any significant benefit to non-release. I know a lot of people say it's better because of more direct connection, lower height and weight, etc. but I just never felt any significant difference so the choice was easy for me to dump the Bombers and stick with the Spruce setups.
    Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
    Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
    Full Tilt Boots
    Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

I voted non-release, but I am usually on semi-release. Felt they were closer to non-release than release.
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I use both. Non-release for my Revolts and Release for my longer skiboards (120, Condors, etc. ). I really think my Bombers give me a lighter, more direct connection to my Revolts than release bindings on risers. I opt for release on the longer boards for safety and ease of getting in/out.
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I use non-release for boards 110 cm and below and release for boards above.
          Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Very similar to Wookie, I use both depending on the length of my boards. For me the break point is 100 cm and under for non release. Having said that I seem to have sold all my longer boards. I mainly use the Blunts and Jades with FF Line Pros for the cost, great feel, light weight and quick response. They are also very easy to pack and travel with.

I feel relatively safe on non release bindings. I'm not even sure how well release bindings would work with the sub 90 cm boards I use.

It might be interesting to add soft boot set ups to your poll. Technically they are non release but folks use then for different reasons over traditional bindings.
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I prefer the feel of non release but I find using them plays on my mind and spoils the day, so I always use some form of release binding now.
              Crossbow (go to dream board)
              Most everything else over time.
              Go Android

Comment

Release - Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings though

I voted release.
                IMHO The Spruce Pro Prime Plus Risers & Release Bindings come very close in feel to non-release bindings. That's why I use the Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings on my Spruce Risers. The extra safety factor of release over non-release is also important to me especially as my height is close to the recommended minimum for non-release on the Blunt XL.
                Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

I aslo vote release, safety, ease of use. I also didn't feel any "real" difference in the feel vs. non release.
                  99 Salomon Skiblades
                  02 Line Fly
                  10 Head Salamander
                  12 Head Hot Rod 94s'
                  15 Blunt XL

Comment

Both

I voted both, however the majority of the time I am using a non-release binding. For me, a non-release softboot binding really made the difference in a daily use (ride for work,) situation and comfort/mobility. Once you get used to strapping in and out, it really does not take very long (especially when I have to sit and wait for my snowboarder friends to strap in at the top of EVERY lift.)

If I am feeling like riding anything longer than 110 I would use a releasable binding. That being said, I don't have any skiboards longer than 110 (yet,) just really short skis (140ish) that I enjoy riding every once in a blue moon. That 110 length for me is specifically because I am 6ft tall, right at the point where 110 is about the longest you can ride non-release without seriously worrying about knee injury (not that it can't happen with shorter boards!)

I do have a pair of non-release hard boot bindings, and I have found that these pretty much stay in the closet now. The softboot trade off is too great for me, I only pull out the non-release hardboot bindings when I have a friend who is a skier that wants to try skiboarding.
                    2016 Spliffs - Stiff Spliff Sticks!
                    2015 Blunt XLs - My go to All-Mountain All-Day boards
                    2014 Blunts - Short with Attitude
                    2013 KTPS - The Cambered Beasts
                    2012 Rockered Condors - The Big Pow Sticks
                    2002 Line MNP 98cm (Retired)
                    SnowJam 540 Softboot Bindings - My go to bindings
                    Original Rocker Softboot Bindings - For when my friends want to try
                    RVL8 Receptors - Red
                    Line FF Pros (Red - missing)
                    DC Status 2012 Softboot (Looking to Upgrade)
                    Nordica GTS6 Hardboot (Looking to Upgrade)

Comment

I've tried non release, but I prefer release on spruce risers set up by Jeff. Have used them over 7 years and love 'em. Super easy step in, and easy edging with that bit of extra height. The few times I've popped out, it was exactly when I've needed to. No problems.
                      '07 "soft" ALPs
                      Eyeball DLPs
                      125 LEs
                      Ospreys mounted bindings
                      Crossbows
                      Spruce riser release bindings
                      Sometimes borrower of Chad's spare Blunt XLs

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post

It might be interesting to add soft boot set ups to your poll. Technically they are non release but folks use then for different reasons over traditional bindings.
                        I tried but I couldn't figure out how. It's not like on other forums I visit. The edit button only seems to let me change the text of the post itself but not the poll options.

Comment

Originally posted by jett.hall View Post
                          I tried but I couldn't figure out how. It's not like on other forums I visit. The edit button only seems to let me change the text of the post itself but not the poll options.
                          There is a little pencil (edit) icon next to the poll title. I've added the soft boot option for you.

Comment

Thanks Greco!

Comment

Wow, I am pretty surprised by the nearly 3-way tie among the top choices. I thought for sure that most people here used non-release bindings.

Comment

Working...
                              X