Ruapehu 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruapehu 2014

So for the 10% of forum attendees likely to see this, and the portion of you likely to maybe hit New Zealand in the near future, I'm heading up to Mt Ruapehu for the week starting 18th August.

Anyone want to meet? Pretty low-key, informal style, but yeah.

-Trav / crocos

Send me a plane ticket!
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Tenative plans to head down for a week early september, original plan was to hit the craigieburn range, but it seems they are having a really bad year so far. Plan B is to join the haka south island ski tour - any opinions of this outfit?
      Or should i swing by ruapehu instead for a week?

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
        Send me a plane ticket!
        I bet you would too. Sempai's Big Adventure, the sequal:

"Sempai Goes Downunder"
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by LYK View Post
          Tenative plans to head down for a week early september, original plan was to hit the craigieburn range, but it seems they are having a really bad year so far. Plan B is to join the haka south island ski tour - any opinions of this outfit?
          Or should i swing by ruapehu instead for a week?
          I've not actually skiied down the south island - only one I know is Ruapehu - so no opinions either way about the haka south island ski tour.
          Old man is down south this week - I'll catch up with him and let you know how it is.

Comment

ive done both Turoa & Whakapapa(ruapehu) so far this year, I preferred whakapapa this year but turoa was a very bad day weather wise.

Off to the South islnad next week to hit Cardrona & Treble Cone for 4-5 days weather permitting, the south island mountains are generally better for a long stay due to diferent options day to day. And treble cone peak is an awesome vista after the hike, totally worth it even if your not gonna ski.

treble cone has the stepest runs (apart from the heli si runs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwsI...8P8jIZkb_iBQtw

Comment

Caught up with Dad last night - he had one word to describe snow conditions down south this year: "Magic".

Great heapings of pow - he thinks it'd be hard going with the Blunts (especially for a big unit like me) but even the groomed runs are being hit with the light fluffy stuff.

Stand-out for him was Cardrona, unreservedly recommended it.

Comment

Sounds promising... especially after reading this a few days ago

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/missing...892032237.html

Hope its just a late start...

Comment

Still sounding like the Craigieburn's are still kinda meh coverage though 20 to 65cm last I heard... still in doubt how long they'll be open for - indeed, have they opened?

Comment

Soo, in a last minute old man pack and rush I forgot my bindings lol, so I ended up snowboarding Treble Cone for 3 days.

first day was the best pow day ive seen in this country, the saddle had between 40-80cm of fresh POW for days, listening to people giggle as they fall cant be beat

Ill post some pics if I can find them, didnt take any vids as was having too much fun lol

Comment

Just emailed the haka tour guys to see if they have room for sept 8-14. Anyone else interested?

Comment

Would be except for that money thing.

Have fun - report back what they're like to deal with, would ya?

Anyway, good option for staying on-mountain at Ruapehu: For $60/night (non-members) or $40/night (members), members of the Levin Waiopehu Tramping Club have a 32-person lodge right on the snow at Whakapapa.

Did I mention that pittance per night includes breakfast and dinner? Sure it's basics, there's communal cooking, cleaning etc, and you need to take your own fresh vegetables, milk & bread. But then you're also saving $20/day taking the shuttle up & down the mountain, or chain-hire when driving, not to mention even cheap-nasty backpacker-level accommodation is still $25/night with extra on top for meals.

Comment

Originally posted by crocos View Post
                          Would be except for that money thing.

Have fun - report back what they're like to deal with, would ya?

Anyway, good option for staying on-mountain at Ruapehu: For $60/night (non-members) or $40/night (members), members of the Levin Waiopehu Tramping Club have a 32-person lodge right on the snow at Whakapapa.

Did I mention that pittance per night includes breakfast and dinner? Sure it's basics, there's communal cooking, cleaning etc, and you need to take your own fresh vegetables, milk & bread. But then you're also saving $20/day taking the shuttle up & down the mountain, or chain-hire when driving, not to mention even cheap-nasty backpacker-level accommodation is still $25/night with extra on top for meals.
                          Will do.
                          Great find with the lodge! Might try to head down to the north island a few days early to give that a sample.

Comment

lemme know how it goes croc, im heading back down to ruapehu mid next week for a few days

Comment

One Line Lodge Review: Comfortable, warm, friendly folks, and when there's this much snow, what a slog to get to! Skiing to the chairlift is a myth though.

Aka: I need to get a whole lot fitter

Waldo: Main trails are fairly typical Ruapehu-style icy, but there's actually a bit of powder from up the mountain blown down. I'm here until Tuesday morning. With the wind predicted for tomorrow, I'm seriously considering spending the whole day in Happy Valley, lol

Comment

Working...
                              X