new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy

Finally moved out of florida and closer to the mountains so I get to go skiing more than once a year. Ive always rented snowblades but I am ready to get the real deal later this year. Quick bio 6'1'' 180lbs, and will be skiing in NC/TN. Using the selection table it looks like I should use a board around 100cm. Is this still a good size considering the usual frozen granular conditions? Will I have trouble with boots and bindings considering I have a 14 4e size foot? I will probably try and find a boot fitter so I have a comfortable pair mainly worried about bindings being to small.

My wife likes to ski but shes very relaxed and cautious and usually just "V"s everywhere and doesnt wish to do anymore, just wants to cruise around like that. Should she just stick with a cheap set of skiblades?

Thanks!

You'll love having a real pair of skiboards. The first Tim I got mine was very memorable experience. The control I had with my set was great and I was hooked. As for your wife it might be worth it just to buy a pair, it might save you money in the long run on rentals. Do the math and figure out what would be the best option for you. A few things to consider if she was to buy her own, would be that she would get used to the feel of being on her own boards, which would make it easier for her to progress in skill level the wider skiboards would allow for more control especially in powder and she would definitely look cooler
    "Like a bitch in heat, I seem to attract a coterie of policemen and sanitation officials!"

Comment

Originally posted by bigredball90 View Post
      Will I have trouble with boots and bindings considering I have a 14 4e size foot? I will probably try and find a boot fitter so I have a comfortable pair mainly worried about bindings being to small.
      Definitely find a boot fitter to work with. Boots over size 13 are tough to find. A boot fitter can help you find what you need in length and width ("last" in ski boots terms). If you are a true 4E you'll most likely need a boot with a wider "last" or you'll need the boot fitter to modify the boot to fit your feet. One thing to consider is the size of your boot can translate to different outer boot sole length (BSL) depending who manufactures the boots you get. At a size 14 street shoe you may be beyond what will fit a skiboard release or non-release binding. The Spruce Release bindings will require a custom mount if your boot's BSL is over 350mm and it likely will be. The non-release bindings vary and typically work up to a size 13 boot for the RVL8 Receptor but may take your size 14 boot if your BSL length is compatible.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Sounds like Ill need to get fitted before I can get a binding. Would snowboard boots be easier to get bindings for?
        What should I be budgeting for with a boot fitter?

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by bigredball90 View Post
          Sounds like Ill need to get fitted before I can get a binding. Would snowboard boots be easier to get bindings for?
          What should I be budgeting for with a boot fitter?

Thanks for the replies!
          If you are doing release bindings (Spruce) it best to have the boots first. For non-release the adjustments are easy. Your only challenge will be not maxing out the bindings with big boots.

I don't think Snowboard boots would be any easier or harder. Since you have size 14 feet you know that finding any shoes is a bit of work/hunting.

For the bootfitter, they really should not cost you anything significant unless you are having custom boots made for you. Ski bootfitting, in the good shops, should be part of the sale and service and figured into the cost of the boots. This is part of the reason that in-store purchase prices run a little higher than online sales. You get a much better fit and therefore a better on mountain experience with properly fitted boots. You may have a hard time finding a bootfitter in SC and might want to look for a larger shop near where you plan to skiboard rather than some local shop that sells skis through the winter just to supplement slow bike sales.
          Boards:
          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Working...
          X