Which condors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which condors?

Can anyone school me on the various condors available?
    Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
    Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Originally posted by graeme View Post
    Can anyone school me on the various condors available?
    I admit to being a Condor fanatic and own all the different versions -construction wise , although not all the different graphics !

2010 green , still some left at SBOL , traditional camber , single layer triaxial fiberglass, significantly softer flexing then current regular Condors .
    Better edge control on firm snow then RC , pivot and slides ok but not has good as zero cambered RC , less manuverable then RC , has to be ridden with weight to the tails in deep pow ...

2013 and 2014 regular condors the same as 2012 regular orange condor which I have , just different graphics , double layer of biaxial fiberglass , significantly stiffer then 2010 version , traditional camber , even better edge control on icy snow but less smooth in pivot slide then 2010 version , to me feels like a bigger KTP ,

2012 and 2013 Rockered Condors , same construction as 2013 and 2014 regular condors , double layer of biaxial fiberglass, but because of the zero camber and heavily rockered tips and tails feels like a completely different board then the regular condors of same construction , very manuverable and more slippery feel for sure then the regular condors ... able to be ridden nicely from center position in all conditions including deep pow ... rewards careful center balance in rough choppy terrain ... but if you find that balance is perfect ..

I am a cruiser , non park guy , prefer , off piste and powder ... my personal prefernces
    are Rockered Condor first
    soft regular Condor next
    and later stiffer regular condors last

All versions however are great , and I have used all of them in deep pow and on piste and all work well just different personalities that suit different riding styles.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I have been preferring the stiffer Condor over the softer. I think it's better for those who ride more aggressively.
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

I have had the opportunity to ride four different versions of the Condor. Since the original is no longer available, however, I'll only touch on the other three.

The green graphic is what I rode for back country work at ShredFest a couple years ago. They were loaners from Jack, and he already had them set up with a 4cm set back on the bindings. For the riding that we were doing, this worked really well. The boards floated nicely through the Sierra powder on the first day, and they broke through the melted crusty snow on the second day with no problem. I have never ridden them in any other environment but back country.

Just this past weekend, I rode the orange graphic back to back with the RC at Mount Bohemia. The riding is exclusively natural snow with most of our time spent in the glades going over fairly aggressive terrain.

The cambered Condors were great for the more open sections where speeds were higher and the riding was very point-and-shoot. The stiffer flex allows for a heel-heavy riding style that keeps the big tips up and riding over obstacles. They were also good for landing drops since they provided more stability. Where the were more work was in the tighter sections when quick changes in direction are needed.

The RC's are great in powder and require less work to maneuver. They excel in the tighter and steeper areas where changes in direction need to come more quickly. As Jack noted, they are a very rewarding ride for those who can maintain a very balanced center stance. The rockered tips are great at taking care of riding over inconsistencies in the terrain, and they have saved me more than once from burying the tips in deep snow. The rockered tails don't provide the same stability as the ones on the cambered version, but they also don't drag in the snow while making turns. This contributes to the overall smaller feel of the RC's, which I really like.

I've never ridden the newer cambered boards in the park, but I have ridden the RC's. They are quite good for boxes, especially for buttering on, but I don't care for them as much on jumps. The lack of stability means that your landing need to be very centered, or you'll end up back seat.

If you are an all-mountain rider who likes to play in the powder and trees, I'd recommend the RC's. If you are more of an aggressive carver or park rider, I'd recommend the cambered Condors.
        RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

So for a stiffer board I am looking at a 2013/14 set up. Anyone selling any?
          Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
          Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
            I have had the opportunity to ride four different versions of the Condor. Since the original is no longer available, however, I'll only touch on the other three.

The green graphic is what I rode for back country work at ShredFest a couple years ago. They were loaners from Jack, and he already had them set up with a 4cm set back on the bindings. For the riding that we were doing, this worked really well. The boards floated nicely through the Sierra powder on the first day, and they broke through the melted crusty snow on the second day with no problem. I have never ridden them in any other environment but back country.

Just this past weekend, I rode the orange graphic back to back with the RC at Mount Bohemia. The riding is exclusively natural snow with most of our time spent in the glades going over fairly aggressive terrain.

The cambered Condors were great for the more open sections where speeds were higher and the riding was very point-and-shoot. The stiffer flex allows for a heel-heavy riding style that keeps the big tips up and riding over obstacles. They were also good for landing drops since they provided more stability. Where the were more work was in the tighter sections when quick changes in direction are needed.

The RC's are great in powder and require less work to maneuver. They excel in the tighter and steeper areas where changes in direction need to come more quickly. As Jack noted, they are a very rewarding ride for those who can maintain a very balanced center stance. The rockered tips are great at taking care of riding over inconsistencies in the terrain, and they have saved me more than once from burying the tips in deep snow. The rockered tails don't provide the same stability as the ones on the cambered version, but they also don't drag in the snow while making turns. This contributes to the overall smaller feel of the RC's, which I really like.

I've never ridden the newer cambered boards in the park, but I have ridden the RC's. They are quite good for boxes, especially for buttering on, but I don't care for them as much on jumps. The lack of stability means that your landing need to be very centered, or you'll end up back seat.

If you are an all-mountain rider who likes to play in the powder and trees, I'd recommend the RC's. If you are more of an aggressive carver or park rider, I'd recommend the cambered Condors.

BOOM!!! this is spot on.

matt

Comment

Which Condors are best in spring slush? I've been riding Revolt Cities exclusively for a couple years and while I can make them work great in most conditions, I really struggle when things get slushy.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkmarker View Post
                Which Condors are best in spring slush? I've been riding Revolt Cities exclusively for a couple years and while I can make them work great in most conditions, I really struggle when things get slushy.
                For me , definitely the RC are the best in spring slush for not getting bogged down ... compared to the other versions...
                Boards :
                Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                Boots
                K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                Bindings:
                Zero Pro Non release Binding
                Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Cool, thanks. I suspected the RCs might be best for that. Seems like they would compliment my Revolts well, giving me better performance in powder as well. I was considering the Sherpas, but I'm worried they would be overkill.

Comment

I second the RC's for spring slush. The rockered tips are great for tackling chopped up sloppy snow.
                    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X