Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skiboard convert considering the Sherpa.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboard convert considering the Sherpa.

Stop me if you've heard this one before.

I'm taking up skiboarding and have questions regarding what skiboards to buy.

I ordered a pair of Summit Nomads before coming across the well reviewed Spruce Sherpa 130's. The versatility of the Sherpa and the design strike a chord with me (not to mention the price tag when combined with Spruce release bindings).
    There is however a hitch. I weigh 145 lbs sopping wet, and the Sherpas are recommended for someone in the 180 range.

Now considering my height of 5'8", and my longtime experience riding on a relatively heavier and longer pair of Elan SCX skis (let's say 170 cm), then finally my aspirations of riding aggressively through moguls and backtrails, can I make the Sherpa 130's work, or should I just stick to something in the 99-120 range?

I realize this is the kind of incredibly contextual question that may only be solved by buying the sherpas and trying them out, but I had hoped that a fellow welter-weight could offer some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, your build is pretty much same as mine, I ride Sherpas and love them. They are an amazing board.
    If your coming from long skis I think you would adapt fairly easy to the Sherpas. I had my Sherpas direct mounted but that's just my personal preference. I say go for it, let us know how you get on with them
    Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
    Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Comment

You might also want to also consider the 125cm Spruce Raptor, released as the 125LE last season, if you are looking for mogul and backtrail specific boards. The Raptor is has a more pronounced rocker and zero camber. At your height and weight it would be enough of a board but perhaps more nimble than the Sherpas. Generally reviews on both boards are great but find that the Sherpas respond to an aggressive riding style and the 125LE/Raptors are more easy riding boards. I use my 125LE specifically for riding in light powder and in the trees and use my smaller cambered Spruce 120s on hardpack.

The Raptors are currently not in stock but Spruce has a run in production that should be available soon.

Details on Spruce's Website here ---> http://spruceskis.weebly.com/the-spr...-skiboard.html
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I don't think rider weight matters. I mean sure boards will react different when it is a 100lb rider vs a 200lb rider, but it isn't like both riders won't like the same boards.

If you think the sherpas will work for you then go for them especially since you have skiing experience I wouldn't worry to much.
        www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
        DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
        Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
        GGO soft boot bindings
        Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

Sherpa's it is!

Thanks you guys for the excellent feedback and warm reception. I think I'm going to like it here.

After reading your responses I'm certain the Sherpa's are the way to go. The Raptor's sound pretty good too, and if it weren't so late in the season I would hold out for them (perhaps something to consider for next year).

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X