What should an East coast newb buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should an East coast newb buy?

Hey folks, I'm going to be spending a lot of time on the greens and blues with my young kids this season, so thought it would be a good chance to try something new and fun and am looking at picking up some skiboards for the first time. Can anyone offer advice on what I should buy?

Me: middle-aged dude, 5'7", 145lb, ski all over the mountain (gets a little shaky in icy moguls). Mostly ski West Virginia, so plenty of ice but would like to be able to handle a bit of powder when it happens. I'm probably going to pickup spruce release risers and bindings.

If you were me, what would you buy?

Thanks!
    harpo
    2008 Chickens, 2014 Blunts
    2014 Spruce Pro Sport Risers + Tyrolia SL100
    2012 Nordica Enforcer boots
    Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

What should an East coast newb buy?...A plane ticket to the West Coast. Just kidding.

Welcome! My recommendation is the Revolts. If you have good balance, you could go shorter and try what the rest of us can't wait to ride this season - THE BLUNTS!
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

If you go with Revolts consider the "Chicken" version - http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl8chicken08.html - a little more flex than the current model.

If you want something a little closer to the ski experience but still want to have that skiboard short turn radius and center mounted goodness, consider the Spruce 120s - very capable boards and a sweet ride.

The Spruce riser and binding combination is great.
      In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
      Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

I'll second Bluewing's suggestions

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
        Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
        Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
        Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
          I'll second Bluewing's suggestions

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
          X3!

Excellent recommendations.
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

The Revolts and the Spruce 120s are a good place to start. 4x vote for Bluewing's recommendations.
            Boards:
            2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
            2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
            2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
            2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
            2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
            2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
            2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like the Revolts are what I'm looking for. Is there significant difference in the newer models vs the older chickens (e.g. in flex), like would I be an idiot to choose based on which graphic I think is coolest? :-)
              Cheers.
              2008 Chickens, 2014 Blunts
              2014 Spruce Pro Sport Risers + Tyrolia SL100
              2012 Nordica Enforcer boots
              Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

Comment

Originally posted by harpo View Post
                Thanks for the advice. Sounds like the Revolts are what I'm looking for. Is there significant difference in the newer models vs the older chickens (e.g. in flex), like would I be an idiot to choose based on which graphic I think is coolest? :-)
                Cheers.
                When the boards started being constructed with two layers of biaxial fiberglass instead of one layer of triaxial, they became stiffer. A stiffer board is a rougher ride and takes more effort to edge. It has been agreed upon by us older riders that flexier boards are easier on our aging bodies. With that being said, graphics are important too. It's hard to ride boards that you can't stand to look at.
                Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                  When the boards started being constructed with two layers of biaxial fiberglass instead of one layer of triaxial, they became stiffer. A stiffer board is a rougher ride and takes more effort to edge. It has been agreed upon by us older riders that flexier boards are easier on our aging bodies. With that being said, graphics are important too. It's hard to ride boards that you can't stand to look at.
                  I disagree sempai... It's really all about performance for me. I mean it's cool to have a nice graphic, but they could be pink with purple polka dots for all I care as long as they give a great ride!

Example: I opted to buy the 125 le's rather then waiting for a pair with graphics. I think it was slow who did a nice job on them with stickers. I thought about doing the same, then someone did a pair of boards with some 3m stuff. I thought about it...it's that much cooler to me to have a board with no graphics then cool graphics. If you look at the racks on the mountain, how many do you see up there with no graphics what so ever?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                  33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                    ................ I think it was slow who did a nice job on them with stickers.
                    Nope, not me. Mine are still all white.
                    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                      Nope, not me. Mine are still all white.
                      It was Wendell

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
                      Crossbow (go to dream board)
                      Most everything else over time.
                      Go Android

Comment

My Blunts are going that way LOL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
                        Crossbow (go to dream board)
                        Most everything else over time.
                        Go Android

Comment

Chicken Graphics

Sometimes the images on the website don't do justice to just how nice the graphics are on boards. Here is a nice review complete with great photos of the Revolt Chickens by zman. Not sure if the graphics are your cup of tea but man do they pop!

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=14357
                          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Chicken Graphics

Sometimes the images on the website don't do justice to just how nice the graphics are on boards. Here is a nice review complete with great photos of the Revolt Chickens by zman. Not sure if the graphics are your cup of tea but man do they pop!

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=14357

Think Like a Mountain

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                              I disagree sempai... It's really all about performance for me. I mean it's cool to have a nice graphic, but they could be pink with purple polka dots for all I care as long as they give a great ride!

Example: I opted to buy the 125 le's rather then waiting for a pair with graphics. I think it was slow who did a nice job on them with stickers. I thought about doing the same, then someone did a pair of boards with some 3m stuff. I thought about it...it's that much cooler to me to have a board with no graphics then cool graphics. If you look at the racks on the mountain, how many do you see up there with no graphics what so ever?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                              Disagree with what? I didn't say graphics are more important. I know performance matters most, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's any easier to look down at a graphic that makes your stomach turn. I couldn't do it for long. Let's use the Chickens for example. My wife has a pair with Silver Receptors. Though they look better in person, they still are fugly to me. I'd have to vinyl over them if they were mine. Not everyone wants to go to that trouble.

Attached Files
                              Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                              Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Working...
                              X