Get In To The Groove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get In To The Groove

Found these for sale on eBay and thought they looked kind of cool. Does anyone remember them or know anything about them? The boards look well made and nicely finished and the bindings look, well, metal at least, and 4x4. Can't find much on the internet or even Skiboard Review. Unfortunately this is another seller off in La La Land looking to deliver them for $225, that includes the $65 shipping tag!!!! Would be nice if old used skiboards sold for this kind of price, I would have a small fortune in my garage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skiboards-Gr...item27d6c57ed5

Just these, nothing else !

It is very difficult to tell what model of Groove skiboards those are but I can gave you a little history of Groove skiboards

From a history of skiboarding .... Groove was one of the very original skiboard companies started by Jarett Perelmutter
    It produced a series of wide short skiboards ...
    "Skiboarding began in Europe. The first skiboards were made by Atomic and the were called the Figgle. The Figgle was created by cutting a pair of skis very short. Then, in 1989, Kniessel produced the Big Foot. Big Feet were and still are approximately 63 cm long and have toes at the tip. Then, years later, Micro Ski began producing mini-skis. Micro Skis are nearly identical to Big Feet except they don't have toes. Then, in 1995, Tayt Tindal and Mike Cannon founded Klimax Skiboards, which went out of business. Soon after, Jason Levinthal created Line Skiboards and about the same time, Jarett Perelmutter created Groove Skiboards. The next year, Salomon began making "Snowblades", which are thinner than regular skiboards. About that time, Mike Cannon quit Klimax and started Canon Industries. Tayt Tindal also quit Klimax and now rides for Salomon. Recently, many large companies have begun to produce skiboards, such as Dynastar, Hart, and Blizzard. Skiboarding continues to grow in popularity due to such events as the X Games, U.S. Freeskiing Open, and the USS."

The company was based in California started by Jarett , brother Kary, father Dan. It was formed right around the time Jason Levinthal created Line skiboards.

GROVE, INC. WHICH WILL DO BUSINESS IN CALIFORNIA AS GROOVE SKIBOARDS was formed on 1999-06-07 in California by KARY E. PERELMUTTER located at 4380 PARK MILANO, CALABASAS CA 91302

From 2001 review in Skinet OnlineMagazine when skiboards were the next big ( little thing )! and in the X games

Groove USA
    This California-based manufacturer/retailer was one of the first independent skiboard makers. Groove uses a full-perimeter cap construction with full-length laminated wood cores with tridirectional fiberglass and stainless steel edges. The top-end 99-cm Brinton Pro-Model ($269) is the same skiboard that took Brinton Gunderson to the last World Championship. It comes with Grooves X1 binding. The 90-cm Hot Rod ($229) is a high-performance skiboard with the X1 binding. It's designed for pipe-and-park use. The Skywalker HP is the same board with a different graphic. The 82-cm Taxi ($199; with bindings) is an all-terrain design, suitable for carving and cruising the entire mountain. The Retro is the same board with a different graphic. The 75-cm Airforce1 ($169; with bindings) is for smaller people or beginners.
    Info: www.grooveusa.com

Here is a picture of the very popular 82 cm Taxi series.

Skiboards review has a nice review of the 90 cm Invertigo Model 13-11-13 side cut
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Ok let's analyze the ebay item in question .. measurements are 28.5inch long and 4 inches wide according to the seller
      or 72.39 cm and 101mm at the waist .. the closest model of the Groove line would be the 75cm Air Force Once
      for " smaller people or beginners" Here is the link to the very cool Skinet article about skiboards circa 2001

Here is pictures and descriptions of the Air Force One Groove skiboard , This looks kind of similar but has plastic rather then metal bindings.

I think the binding on the e bay model in question was an aluminum binding made by groove called the X1 and previously sold here by Greco
      http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/groovex1black.html

ps the picture in the ebay offering , however, shows the binding without the binding lever ! kind of hard to ride it without a lever
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

And on top of that the X1's don't even have toe clips. I used to have problems with those clips gouging my boots out a bit anyway. Had to take a dremel and round them out a bit.
        I do it because I can.
        I can because I want to.
        I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
        '08 KTPs

Comment

Thanks for the info and links Jack, I enjoy learning about the history of skiboarding and the older products. The article that lists all the boards available at the time is especially interesting. I have a pair of the Fischer Web XXLs they mention, and I believe they were well designed and well made enough to hold up against many of today's boards. My wife has skied on them since 2005 and only gave them up for boards with release bindings. Great stuff, thanks.
          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Working...
          X