"New" Slarving Skis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" Slarving Skis

The video shows a test run for a new ski designed to make "slarved" turns easier. They are shorter and wider than concevtional skis and has a convex base. I guess some one else is working out the that a controlled skid is just as much fun as a pure carved turn, but hey, aren't we doing this already?

The ski is designed by Stephan Drake and made by DPS, perhaps we should send them a pair of RCs to demo?

Just these, nothing else !

I know "Slarving" is an old subject here, one that Jack explored, expanded and explained when the RCs came out. I found this thread on Epic and thought some of you might enjoy it. They have some good discussion on the difference between skidding, buttering and slarving, and the best equipment and conditions to do it on.

http://www.epicski.com/t/105964/what...-a-slarvy-turn

This video come from the same thread, and shows Shane McConkey (yes the one who makes fun of snow bladers) "inventing" slarving on a pair of water skis; amazing.

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

The point here is that these two videos are being shot in soft snow, which works like a fluid. But how do they do on the hardpack most of us spend nearly all our time on. For hardpack we need sidecut. That is the real magic of the RCs, they go everywhere.
      The Times They Are a Changin . . . . .
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

The spoon looks interesting, but I wouldn't want anything that isn't twin-tipped.
        Boards/Bindings:
        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

They basically look just like someone wanted to shrink the Spatula/Pontoon design, along with adding the convex tip, which can be found on a few snowboards these days. The strange thing is that as crazy as they look, they really don't seem to be anything that radically new.
          I do it because I can.
          I can because I want to.
          I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
          '08 KTPs

Comment

Actually the DPS Spoon prototype came out in 2011-2012 Season and is not a short ski . The 150 refers to the width underfoot. It is a traditional length ski super wide underfoot , not much side cut , and convex base and heavily rockered .
            Side cut profile is 154/150/152 . It is a concept powder ski in the mode of the the Spatula and Pontoon skis, weird undualtions called "cleats" need to be designed into the ski to make it grip at all in hardpack . If you look at where the " cleats" are in the side picture of the ski , looks like a skiboard length on hardpack eh ?

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...Spoon-150.html

As Valmorel points out , the real magic of the Rockered Condor is that it combines heavy rocker, flat non cambered base, , big side cut , and a very short length to create a new kind of snow sliding device that works everywhere on the mountain in a simple straight forward design that works so well primarily because it is built on a very short 110 platform and would conversely not work as well on a long ski platform. A unique contribution of skiboarding to snow sliding sports design , for sure .
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Zero Pro Non release Binding
            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
            X