Blading Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blading Advice

Can I get some advice from the rollerbladers out there.

I have an old pair of recreational inline skates that I used to use a few years ago. Now that I'm back into skiing, I plan to use them over the summer to keep my balance and ski muscles in shape. Is it just good enough to get on them and cruise or are there specific exercises I can focus on to help with my skiing next season? I hit a few simple boxes this year and would like to progress onto some more advanced ones, maybe even a few low rails. Perhaps that's crazy at my age, but it's a goal.

Thirty years ago I used to be able to pull off a few tricks on roller skates, like spins and jumps, so I have a basic idea of what's involved. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Just these, nothing else !

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Can I get some advice from the rollerbladers out there.

I have an old pair of recreational inline skates that I used to use a few years ago. Now that I'm back into skiing, I plan to use them over the summer to keep my balance and ski muscles in shape. Is it just good enough to get on them and cruise or are there specific exercises I can focus on to help with my skiing next season? I hit a few simple boxes this year and would like to progress onto some more advanced ones, maybe even a few low rails. Perhaps that's crazy at my age, but it's a goal.

Thirty years ago I used to be able to pull off a few tricks on roller skates, like spins and jumps, so I have a basic idea of what's involved. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Fitness skates are going to be fine for cruising, keeping heart rate up, and burning calories if that is what you want to focus on. As far as low rails, fitness skates are not going to cut it really... without proper aggressive style blades, rails are not an option unfortunately. Yesterday was my first day out cruising in my fitness skates around a local park. I use a helmet, knee pads, and wrist guards (elbow pads I feel are optional). While cruising I like to do jumps, 180's, and 360's at speed so pads are necessary.

As far as rails go, rollerblading is a wonderful way to practice. I learned all last summer with low handrails in skateparks around my area. There are differences obviously, but the techniques are similar.

Comment

Do your fitness skates have a soul plate? If so you could do makio's and soul's, but yeah frontsides and backsides are definitely out of the picture on fitness skates.

I don't see how you wear knee pads, wrist guards... I understand the protection but they just get in my way and restrict movement too much
      2013 Revolt Trees 105's
      2013 Receptor Red Bindings
      2011 Dalbello Blender Boots

"Sufficient to have stood. Though free to fall." - Milton - Paradise Lost
      "I'd rather ride a broken Revel8 than skiblades." - Talon

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I wanted to work on my basic fitness and maybe some of the skills that may help in the park next winter. My skates are just basic in line recreational, so I could jump but not grind on them. I had a quick look for aggressive skates but could't find a pair anywhere locally. Guess I might have to look on line? What would be a good basic pair to start on?

For safety equipment I wear a helmet and wrist guards. I don't care about the skin on my knees and elbows but can't afford time off work with a broken wrist.

Comment

rollerwarehouse.com is probably the best online roller store for aggressives

aggressive skates fit very true to size, so if you wear a 12 in shoes get a 12.

all of the people that work their actually skate and can help you pick something

if you get a pair of aggressive skates get 'anti-rocker' they make locking onto rails easier

at the end of the day you can't go wrong with razor or valo

i just grabbed a pair of razor genesys 7.4
          2013 Revolt Trees 105's

Comment

I can't really give you advice on skates, but I think this would be worth trying for training:

http://indoboard.com/shop/original-peak-pack

I'm thinking it would really help with balance and strengthening ankles, knees, probably the whole leg.
            Boards/Bindings:
            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
              I can't really give you advice on skates, but I think this would be worth trying for training:

http://indoboard.com/shop/original-peak-pack

I'm thinking it would really help with balance and strengthening ankles, knees, probably the whole leg.
              I like the look of this kind of balance device, but they are all so expensive. I think Bluewing has a Vew-Do board that is similar to this?

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                I like the look of this kind of balance device, but they are all so expensive. I think Bluewing has a Vew-Do board that is similar to this?
                I made my own after seeing the prices. It's a piece of plywood with end stops and a length of PVC. I had the stuff laying around so the cost to me was a grand total of Zero Dollars. .
                Boards:
                2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Rollerblading is an excellent way to keep your body in gear for skiboarding as well as good shape in general. Just throw on a pair of skates and go all over the place. Don't limit yourself to flat areas. Take over the streets and have fun cruising.
                  I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Spent the morning at the local skate park with Little Miss Wolf. Felt a little out of place with my rec skates and helmet, amongst all the scooter kids, but we had a blast and got out alive. Great workout, and nothing beats that feeling of dropping in. Not sure if I want to get into grinding rails, but I might get more adventurous as my skills improve. Fun day.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kkelley1987 View Post
                      rollerwarehouse.com is probably the best online roller store for aggressives

aggressive skates fit very true to size, so if you wear a 12 in shoes get a 12.

all of the people that work their actually skate and can help you pick something

if you get a pair of aggressive skates get 'anti-rocker' they make locking onto rails easier

at the end of the day you can't go wrong with razor or valo

i just grabbed a pair of razor genesys 7.4
                      Something like this? Is Abec 3 OK ?

http://rollerwarehouse.com/razors-cult-white-skates.asp

Comment

yep, those are great entry level razor's

abec 3 bearings are fine, you really won't tell the difference unless you get doing stupid stuff, then you'll want swiss bearings or something higher quality
                        2013 Revolt Trees 105's

Comment

If your looking to go fast as well as do a bit of soul grinds look into powerblades. I prefer xsjados because you can just slip your shoe in. http://www.aggressivemall.com/Xsjado...o-skate-pb.htm

I also would recommend Doop skates there almost the same but meant for just fitness or cruising.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kkelley1987 View Post
                            yep, those are great entry level razor's

abec 3 bearings are fine, you really won't tell the difference unless you get doing stupid stuff, then you'll want swiss bearings or something higher quality
                            Done. I found a pair on eBay in my size for $99 with shipping included. Thanks for the help.

Comment

nice!
                              2013 Revolt Trees 105's

Comment

Working...
                              X