Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all the naysayers out there... BAM ! YETIS DO EXIST !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all the naysayers out there... BAM ! YETIS DO EXIST !

After a year of trying to get this done, I finally have a Yeti in captivity. Just captured at my home today, so no chance yet to observe him in the wild. That will have to wait for another week or two when I turn him loose on some steep, snow-covered slopes.

For anyone who does not know the back story and is interested, go here: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ered+longboard

Here are some photos lined up next to two of my other favorite critters.

Tip Rocker:

Tail Rocker:

Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
    Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
    Full Tilt Boots
    Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Looks like Chad at Coda did a great job on these. They are very, very close to the specs I asked for:

About 139 cm tip to tip.
    Cambered running length about 92 cm.
    28.5 cm length of early rise/rockered front tip.
    18 cm length of early rise tail.
    About 13.4 cm wide at the waist.
    Camber is very low ... maybe 3 mm. Hard for me to measure it's so low ... but there is just a tad.
    Cambered length is Sherpa stiff but with a much more relaxed sidecut. These "should" carve serious tranches on the groomers.
    Early rise tips and tails are as requested and have a softer flex ... although not as soft as I hoped for.

First set of inserts puts me right smack dab in the center of the cambered running length ... but because of the longer rockered tip than tail, I've got 10 cm more board in front of me than behind me.

Rear inserts would put me 5 more cm back.

Rocker profile is not aggressive. There is not nearly as much rise as the JJs, but obviously more than the Sherpas. It should be just about what I was after, but I won't know for sure until I get it in the choppy, cruddy snow.

Riding report and video coming in about 2 weeks.
    Full Tilt Boots
    Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Those look great Robert! I'm glad they finally came to fruition. Are they a silvery background? The specs look great cant wait to hear how they ride.

Chad
      64 CM Bigfoot’s
      100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
      110 CM Rockered Condors
      130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Awesome, want review and video!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Well congrats for sticking with it Rob. They look very impressive. Are they heavy?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
          Crossbow (go to dream board)
          Most everything else over time.
          Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
            Well congrats for sticking with it Rob. They look very impressive. Are they heavy?

Thanks, it feels good to finally have them in hand and I'm really pleased with the quality. Having seen Slow's boards at SF, I'm happy these are comparable. I was a bit nervous about how the rocker and 5-point sidecut would turn out since I didn't know if Coda had done that yet. Sidecut transition into the rocker is just slightly more abrupt than on the JJs, but it should work just fine.

According to my bathroom scale, each one is a full pound heavier than a Sherpa. 1 Sherpa weighed in about 3 lbs, one Yeti about 4 lbs.

Sorry for the poor photos of the top sheets ... I'm having a hard time getting a good one. Pics above don't do the topsheets justice. They turned out really well.

I get a feeling that after I get a chance to ride these things, I just may have to retract my post in the "New Board" thread. The more I look and compare, the more I'm thinking these are really just Sherpas with more horsepower ... a supercharger slapped on to 'em: fatter waist, elongated early rise tip, elongated early rise tail, more relaxed sidecut.

Stiffness feels comparable between Yeti and Sherpa - except for rockered tips and length difference is really negligible.

Widths came out a little fatter than I wanted, but proportionally so. Thus, they should be close to my target sidecut radius of around 10 m. I wish I had a little more rise and a little softer flex in the rockered tips, but they may ride just fine as is.
            Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Originally posted by CAN View Post
              Those look great Robert! I'm glad they finally came to fruition. Are they a silvery background? The specs look great cant wait to hear how they ride.

Chad
              Thanks Chad.

Topsheets turned out fine color-wise ... not really silvery ... I'm just having a hard time getting a good photo.
              Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Coda have come through for both you and Slow. Maybe I should bite the bullet and try to get that damn 110 built.

Go Nexus
                Go Android

Comment

Excellent!

Makes me wanna fly over there and ride them
                  Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                  Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                  Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Coda have come through for both you and Slow. Maybe I should bite the bullet and try to get that damn 110 built.

Go Nexus
                    Yes he did ... for ones-offs, they are pretty well done. Of course not as clean as production boards... I think Slow had to have just a bit of base and edge work done and I may have to as well. However, I intend to throw another coat of wax on them and ride them as is the first time out... see how they feel.

The hybrid cap/sidewall is slick and should eliminate a lot of the topsheet nicking issues.

For my build, I don't know if we've nailed the combination of widths, flex and rocker profile. If I take another cut at this, it will be through Coda and narrowing things up just a bit, keeping tip to tip length the same but shortening the cambered length just a bit and adding a bit more length and rise in the rocker. I'm probably getting way ahead of myself ... these may be just great as is.

I'd be very interested in your take on this from your expertise. Do you anticipate any ill-mannered characteristics based on my description of the specs and how these turned out? As I've mentioned in other posts here on the forum, I'm not the most kinesthetically sensitive guy to subtle variance in riding characteristics.

What should I be paying attention to when I get these out? What do you think I could expect to experience in cruddy snow, moguls, hardpack, softer groomers, etc?

I likely won't get any soft, fresh, deep pow in the next few weeks, but I will likely get some wet, heavy, chunky snow off-piste, some icy refrozen conditions and some softer smooth groomers on-piste by midday and into the afternoons.
                    Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                      Excellent!

Makes me wanna fly over there and ride them
                      I do hope to get some other riders on these prior to the close of this season or at least early next season. My buddy here in Salem wants to try them out and I hope to get arargon2 on them for his thoughts. If Wendell's game to give them a whirl, I may try to ship them down to him for some test piloting as well. I definitely want feedback from others.

In fact, I may decide to use this first set as test mules and have them shipped around. If I do, I will gladly pass around to anyone who wants to pay for shipping costs.
                      Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Rob, I think these boards will be major crud busters. The tips are going to ride over hardcore, and the stiffness and length are going to provide all the support you could ever need. This is probably the ultimate spring snow board. Soon as it turns slushy the tips and tails will give you all the area you can use.
                        It is not the board for me. This board is a Hummer. I need a Lambo, but I think you will be blown away by it. You will have skiboard agility but massive support when you need it. It should open up a whole new experience because you should be able to bully it, but also ride it with a subtle touch. Perfect training for something really special like the Rockered Condor.

Go Android

Comment

Very nice Rob. I will be very curious as to how these ride. My impression is that they should work very well.
                          Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                          Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                          Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                          History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

I really enjoyed reading the back story behind these board. All eighteen pages of it starting in 2008. Quite a lesson in commitment and perseverance. I'm really pleased to see them become a reality and hope they give the ride the journey deserves.
                            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Perfect training for something really special like the Rockered Condor.
                              You know, I'm starting to figure something out related to this comment. even though I feel like I've progressed quite a bit in my short 5 or so seasons of snowsports, I do not have the riding experience or the skill to competently pilot shorter and smaller boards in really difficult terrain. As I've moved up to bigger boards, it has opened up more of the mountain to me and has made it easier for me to ride really tough conditions. Yesterday was the first riding day ever for me where I spent nearly the entirety of it off-piste... in steep trees, cut up pow, variable ice/crud/chop/nastiness. I had a blast and was not interested in the groomers at all.

Perhaps one day I'll want more of a challenge and will have enough skill to comfortably and enjoyably hit the same stuff on a more minimal kit. That would be really interesting to come full circle - starting on shorties, moving up to much bigger sticks, then coming back to the shorties at some point. My martial arts competitive fighting years were that way. Started with very simple basics, worked up to very difficult and complicated skills, then distilled it all back to only the bread and butter.
                              Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Working...
                              X