Helmets with visors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmets with visors

I got fed up on the last trip with goggles and glasses. My existing set of goggles fitted just-just around my glasses when used on my helmet. With my new set of glasses the goggles pressed against the frame against my nose again. I ended skiboarding mist of the time wearing an older set of prescription sun glasses. That worked well for some conditions, but not in low-light conditions.

So I am thinking of getting one of these fancy new helmets with the drop-down visors. However, are there any out there which have replaceable visors just as one can get goggles with replaceable lenses?
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Motorcycle helmets of course, but they may feel a bit heavy?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
      Motorcycle helmets of course, but they may feel a bit heavy?

*Slap*
      Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
      Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
      Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Are contacts an option? I always wear glasses although I can legally drive without them and was going to forego using anything on my last outing two weeks ago. Luckily I had a lightly used pair of trial contacts around so I popped them in until I arrived back home. They never bothered me in the least and the best part is that they were free. If you've been fitted for contacts in the past and have the specifications including prescription order a free trail pair online or locally, they'll last a few years if you rarely wear them.
        Boards: RVL*8 '08 Revolt Chicken's, Canon M7 Black, Line Fly 4 post
        Bindings: Line FF Pro, Groove Red X1
        Gear: Dalbello CRX Freeride CarveX, Bern Baker Hard Hat, VZ Fishbowl's & Fubar's, Anon Comrade

Comment

Originally posted by zman View Post
          Are contacts an option? I always wear glasses although I can legally drive without them and was going to forego using anything on my last outing two weeks ago. Luckily I had a lightly used pair of trial contacts around so I popped them in until I arrived back home. They never bothered me in the least and the best part is that they were free. If you've been fitted for contacts in the past and have the specifications including prescription order a free trail pair online or locally, they'll last a few years if you rarely wear them.
          I have not worn contacts in years. Of late I have to wear varifocal lenses, which even makes prescription goggles a problem.

Comment

Bifocal contacts are available. Assuming they work out well for you it would give you the most freedom in either wearing your current goggles or shopping for something new. I hate sticking something in my eye, finger included, but for the few hours I do wear them I never notice I have them in. Otherwise prescription fit goggles of various lens colors/tints are limited. Maybe prescription sport glasses with removable or transition lenses could work. Personally I'd like the protection and warmth goggles provide.
            Boards: RVL*8 '08 Revolt Chicken's, Canon M7 Black, Line Fly 4 post
            Bindings: Line FF Pro, Groove Red X1
            Gear: Dalbello CRX Freeride CarveX, Bern Baker Hard Hat, VZ Fishbowl's & Fubar's, Anon Comrade

Comment

For technical reasons bifocal contact lenses only provide very limited success. Not to be recommend.

Go Android

Comment

I found some candidates:

http://www.bolle-europe.eu/products/...ium-%2858cm%29

http://www.skiwebshop.com/cairn-uran...lmet-mat-black

Both comes with two visors. The only thing that I have not seen is whether they have an adjustable wheel like the one on my current Giro. I'll need to find a shop that stocks them to try them on.

Comment

I wonder if your glasses would mist up under a visor though, ysb33r? Would a shop let you test out one of the visored helmets to find an answer?
                  Maybe some properly designed googles for use with glasses would be better? Maybe something like the Smith Prophecy Turbo Fan or something similar?
                  Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                  Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                  Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

What helmet do you have right now?

Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
                      I wonder if your glasses would mist up under a visor though, ysb33r? Would a shop let you test out one of the visored helmets to find an answer?
                      Maybe some properly designed googles for use with glasses would be better? Maybe something like the Smith Prophecy Turbo Fan or something similar?
                      I have found that glasses under goggles also fog up. I suspect with a visor there would be better air flow, but that is something that should be easy to test out.

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                        I have found that glasses under goggles also fog up. I suspect with a visor there would be better air flow, but that is something that should be easy to test out.
                        Click on the link please ysb33r
                        Those Smith googles have an electric fan to stop your glasses misting up.

The company that sells the Cairn Uranus helmet with the visor has a showroom near Tamworth. There is a snow dome at Tamworth too. Perfect place to test the helmet.
                        Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                        Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                        Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Are the goggles you have now specifically OTG goggles? If not it may be worth trying a couple pairs on. You may find a pair that fits your glasses well.
                          I do it because I can.
                          I can because I want to.
                          I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                          '08 KTPs

Comment

I saw a guy wearing one of those visor helmets at a local mountain this season. It's a very fighter pilot-esque look, but I think that you're right in thinking that the airflow would be better. I'd imagine that the effect would be similar to wearing glasses under a motorcycle helmet. Before I had PRK, I wore glasses all the time, including on my bike with a full face helmet. As long as I was moving, the airflow through the helmet kept my glasses clear.
                            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

That bolle one looks very cool. I like it. Would be a nice alternative to goggles.
                              Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
                              Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
                              Full Tilt Boots
                              Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Working...
                              X