non release above 110s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non release above 110s

Would anyone use them? I sm thinking of doing it on my next set up. Always prefered bomber's over any other bindings.
    Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
    Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Originally posted by graeme View Post
    Would anyone use them? I sm thinking of doing it on my next set up. Always prefered bomber's over any other bindings.
    bad idea.

Comment

Only if you don't like your knees and enjoy spiral fractures.
      I do it because I can.
      I can because I want to.
      I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
      '08 KTPs

Comment

Ha ha, count me out!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
        Crossbow (go to dream board)
        Most everything else over time.
        Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by tyberesk View Post
          bad idea.

Broke my leg with Bombers. One unlucky fall that's it.
          Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
          Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
          Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
          History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
            Broke my leg with Bombers. One unlucky fall that's it.
            I don't even ride nonreleasables anymore.

Comment

I considered this myself at one point. I wear Deeluxe 225's, so release bindings are not an option for me. I was very interested in trying the Lacroix 125's, however, so I toyed with the idea of modifying a pair of my Bombers to be able to use them with the 4x10 inserts. I'm a machinist by trade, so this would've been relatively easy for me to do. In looking at the relationship between the recommended minimum height for non-release bindings and board length, I figured that I'd be ok (I'm just shy of 6'3"). Just to be safe, I posted my thoughts and asked for input. Thankfully, I got some very well reasoned detailed responses that dissuaded me from pursuing my idea. Jack (jjue), in particular made a good case based on physiology. I can't remember all the details, but the basic principle is that boards in excess of 110cm long provide a lever that has a much greater chance of damaging your legs, regardless of your height. This has to due with the relative strength of human bone and tissue vs the forces exerted by a fall. Basically, 110cm and under boards provide a potential force that most people's legs can handle. That is assuming, of course, that the rider is on boards that are appropriately sized for his/her height and weight. I'll see if I can find that thread in the archives and post up some of the details that Jack provided. For now, my advice is to either go with something like the Condors, which will give you maximum surface area in a 110 length, or resign yourself to the use of release bindings if you're set on riding boards longer than 110.

In all fairness, I have to say that each situation is relative, and it would be theoretically possible to ride 120+cm boards with non-release bindings without injuring yourself. Risk is inherent to our sport, after all. Even with release bindings, people suffer injuries because the situation was just right. Having said all that, certain guidelines are there for a reason, and this is one of them. I choose to ride non-release because I love the convenience and light weight of my step-in Bombers. I also don't push myself past my limits, and this has thus far kept me safe. I've also learned that I have no interest in riding anything over 110cm, so the point is moot for me.

Good call asking about the idea before trying it. That's what this community is here for, to give advice and reasons why.
              RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

I switched to releasables this year. I have the DIN set pretty low at 5.5 and have yet to have them release, even after a few spectacular falls. To be fair I am on 89cms, but they never released on my 110s either. I'm just not sure if we can generate enough torque to make shorter boards release? Gives me piece of mind though. I am looking for a pair of non release bindings for the 87s and 99 MNP that I have, and save the risers/releasables for the 125s when they come out.
                Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Working...
                X