Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Release bindings feel unresponsive

Hi all, looking for advice.

I tried skiboards for the first time last season. I've always wanted to but never been able to hire them anywhere. Thanks to eBay I picked up a set of Line Pro 98cm for next to nothing (in near mint condition too) and was well and truly hooked. These have non release bindings on and are incredibly light!
    The red ones,
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/image...ro_history.jpg

So I wanted to upgrade this year and as no-one sells skiboards in the UK I picked up a second hand pair or Revel8 Revolts (Trees) that came with Salomon 610 releasing bindings and the Pro rise.

So I tried them for the first time last week at an indoor snow centre and compared to the Line's they felt really heavy which isn't the end of the world but also really unresponsive. To the point I swapped back to the Lines and had so much more fun!

To be fair, the edges do need doing, which I'm about to do today but my main concern is that the release bindings are just too soft and are sapping the fun out of it?

Has anyone any experience with this? I'm not bothered really about having release bindings and if they didn't come already attached to the boards I probably wouldn't have gone down the release route.

Will swapping from release to non-release bindings make that much difference or is the problem likely to be in the fact the edges need sharpening?

Mark

HI Mark , Welcome to the forum ! I think there are a number of issues involved. I think you have the version of the Line's that have the eight screw direct drilled plastic snowblade type non release bindings that Line used in their later models . Am I correct ? That is a very light set up , and will feel dramatically different underfoot then the Spruce riser/release system . The huge difference in swing weight will make the Lines feel much sportier and more responsive. While the plastic non release bindings are much lighter then the higher quaility insert mounted all metal non release bindings, most of us feel that in the long run these insert mounted, heavier all metal non release bindings offer better performance , and a more secure and reliable connection to the skiboard then the direct drilled plastic snowblade type bindings. In fact in the end Line had a massive recall of their skiboards after they had problems with the direct drilled plastic bindings pulling out of their boards.
    All metal non release bindings are heavier then your plastic non release bindings but still significantly lighter then the Spruce Riser/ Release system . The RVL*8 receptor binding is particularly light weight . Having used both the Spruce riser/release binding and non releasers I do feel that I like the lower swing weight of the insert mounted all metal non releasers but many folks get used to the higher weight of the Spruce riser system and have no issues and enjoy riding with it and the added safety it offers .
    As to responsiveness and connection to the board, I do feel that the Spruce riser system has an excellent connection to the board and most of the difference in feel to the rider is related to the different swing weight on the feet . That being said I do think I notice the more direct connection of boot to the board of a non releaser as opposed to any release system which by the nature of the way the boot is attached has to have some give in the system .
    The other issue is that the Line skiboard and the Trees are different . The Line is narrower and shorter and the Trees longer and fatter . This will initially contribute to a quicker response of the Line board edge to edge on groomed slopes compared to the Trees . However, once you get used to the wider and longer format , most of us do not go back to the older Line models .. the newer wider and longer skiboards offer so much more increased performance in all mountain conditions , variable snow and more stability at high speed that our older Line boards gather dust .or get sold off.

Hope that helps a bit to understand the issues involved in your experience.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Also Mark, if you are not especially concerned about release anyway, bring the DIN setting up some on your release set up. When using Risers on my boards I usually ski with DIN 9. I find that locks the boot down better and helps with response. Which snow slope did you go to, MK, Manchester?
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

I had a similar experience when upgrading from my direct mounted release binding "blades" to my riser mounted release binding Spruce 120s. As Jack notes a lot of the feel difference can be attributed to the change to a wider width and higher "swing" weight. Wider and heavier means a few more nano seconds to get the boards from edge to edge. The trade off is worth it for better performance of the wider boards in all mountain conditions and the safety of release bindings. I am now to the point where I do not notice it anymore.

One thing I did to minimize the "unresponsiveness" was to change boots to something with a better fit that connected me better to the board. I felt the wider boards made my boots feel "sloppy". If you feel the same you might, at least, have a bootfitter see if he can tune up your existing boots. If you have good fitting boots than this may not be an option for you.
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Thanks Guys

Yes, they were the 8 hole ones. I was expecting them to feel different, as you say, they are so much wider.

To be honest I'm not worried about the extra weight, at 6'2" it shouldn't really bother me and my theory is it will get me down the hill faster!

Thinking about it the last day, I think its the edges which are going to the the main effect. It was hard to even skate in them to move around the flat and when I hit some ice they just went sideways!. I dropped them in for a full service yesterday and there was a little bit of a disproving look in their eye when they inspected the underside, You know the look, the one that says you should really take better care of these. So I'm hoping that is going to make all the difference.

I have got hold of some Revel8 Receptors now too so I'm going to try the serviced boards with the risers and release bindings first and then swap onto the non-release receptors to see how much difference they make. I do like my knees so if the release bindings work OK I'll stick with them.
          I'll post the results up here and let you know what happens if anyone is interested.

Also its probably a little unfair to judge the boards on a small indoor slope anyway.

Re. the boots. That's a good idea if anyone else is having trouble. mine are quite new, half descent and were professionally fitted. I've ski'd for years so very familiar will crappy hire boots so don't think its the cause of my troubles.

valmorel, no it was at the snow centre in Hemel Hempstead. I'm in the south east (Essex) so its the closest that's not a dry slope. We're just waiting patiently for the new ski complex thing to open down the road in Ipswitch!

Comment

So, a good tune up on the edges made a huge amount of difference! To the point I didn't even try the non release bindings.

We have just got back from a week in Italy and the binding and boards worked great. (Also the food was superb!)

I think the problem was all in the sharpness of the edges. I had them shop serviced before we went which was a big improvement and whilst out there I gave them another going over with a hand tool and then they were fine.

I guess the guy I bought them from (eBay) hadn't ever done the edges and they just needed a few good sharpening to bring them back.

Comment

Working...
            X