No announcement yet.

Camping in the backcountry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone has interest I can look back in my archives and see if I can find some of the articals. I find Igloo's the way to go. Before to much laughter I will give you a a link to the system I use. Me and my boys have slepped out in -8 degree high winds and trust me no issues. There is a bunch to it but you can find me on his site some were .....

Good luck and this is the way to go build one and you use it for the season in the right area. If the temp stays cold. In Norway I believe they build little compounds half way down the mountain ...... use them all season ..... ok go ahead ask ... it will take me some time :-) I will say its been on my mind .....

http://www.grandshelters.com
    Twoowt Lions RVL8 Rockered Condor-Revel8 SlapDash "Crayon"-Spuce Mountain "Sherpa" 130 Red Plaid-"125 LE" White Boards-120 "Chair Lift"-Summit Boards "Marauder 125SE"-"Rocker Inverigo 118"-"Custom 110"-"Nomad 99""Jade 87"-2014 Spruce Mountain "Pro Sport Riser" Tyrolia SL 100 Bindings (2 sets-325mm & 295mm settings)-Line FF Pro & FF Cam None Release Bindings-2013/14 Nordica "13/14 Cruise 80 & 60" ski boot

Comment

http://www.grandshelters.com/interna...gloo-pics.html

Not my picture but you get the idea .....OK I cant seem to post a pic .... hmmm
      Twoowt Lions RVL8 Rockered Condor-Revel8 SlapDash "Crayon"-Spuce Mountain "Sherpa" 130 Red Plaid-"125 LE" White Boards-120 "Chair Lift"-Summit Boards "Marauder 125SE"-"Rocker Inverigo 118"-"Custom 110"-"Nomad 99""Jade 87"-2014 Spruce Mountain "Pro Sport Riser" Tyrolia SL 100 Bindings (2 sets-325mm & 295mm settings)-Line FF Pro & FF Cam None Release Bindings-2013/14 Nordica "13/14 Cruise 80 & 60" ski boot

Comment

ElkCloner,
        I climbed out on shoes and came back on my Dynastar Huge Trouble's. I was not on skiboards. If I remember correctly, that was the season I had the Marker Baron bindings directly mounted to a set of Sherpas and because it was what I'll label as an "unauthorized modification" I did not immediately trust the setup. That did not keep me from taking a set of Sherpas with the typical riser/alpine binding setup. I took regular skis because I was the new kid and did not want to invoke even more concern about me. Sometimes, what others might/could think matters. This was one of those times. However, now that I completely trust the Marker setup and have more of the required trust of those around me (God knows the Sherpas have certainly shown their ability to safely/competently do well over knee deep pow this season) I will happily skin out and overnight with them if given the chance this season.
        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

This season I have intentionally skinned around on the Sherpas to build experience and confidence without issue. Also, thanks to Jjue I now have a non-ghetto skin setup. He turned me on to some very good skin clips. I had been just flopping a foot or so of skin onto the top sheet in the rear. It worked fine. It just looked like ass.
          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

Oh, if you need to cut/trim skins for your skiboards don't get excited. It's easy. Just Google "how to trim ski skins" purchase the required trimmer, watch u tube videos and go for it. Just make sure to purchase skins that are wide enough. It is infinitely easier to remove width than to add it. Ha ha

Comment

Also, practice putting them on and taking them off at home and at the resort when you are alone. No one wants to stand there and wait while you show exactly how new you are to the activity. Know what I'm sayin'.

Comment

I'll add that once or twice I have "post holed" the Sherpas to the laughter of those around me. Of course, being with Japanese who weigh at least 50 lbs. less than me (that's with me butt naked and them fully packed out. Ha ha) you can just imagine the diet related comments I got. I typically respond with something to the effect that they will understand once they are fully grown. Of course, this type of banter is all in good fun.

Comment

Just remember you will be the one laughing when you have your elbows buried in the sugar, making more turns and having an utterly ridiculous smile frozen on your face

Comment

Umm, just remember to keep your tips pointed down slope when you act like that. You scrub off speed a lot faster on our devices when compared to long planks or snowboards

Comment

I keep commenting here but I've never post holed the Sherpas past my knee. That is compared to shoes that I have definitely buried almost waist deep. Welcome to weighing 210lbs before you get dressed.

Comment

Thanks for all of the tips!

Hopefully I can make this happen in 2016.

Comment

DO NOT
                          Go alone

Go without at least one experienced person

Go without receiving a class on what you need to have equipment wise and how to properly use your beacon and probe. (Classes available at your local hill or outdoor club. Contact the Boy Scouts if having trouble finding the class.)

Go without verifying the weather

DO
                          Have a great time

Comment

But...but going alone and unprepared is my M.O.!

Comment

ElkCloner,
                              Do not follow your M.O. on this one. Go against your nature. I am not being a mother hen. You, me and everyone else heading into the back country for the first time requires education and experienced people with them. The price of getting it wrong is just too high. Please hear me on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
                                ElkCloner,
                                Do not follow your M.O. on this one. Go against your nature. I am not being a mother hen. You, me and everyone else heading into the back country for the first time requires education and experienced people with them. The price of getting it wrong is just too high. Please hear me on this one.
                                I was being facetious

I'll behave, I promise.

Comment

Working...
                                X