Advice for new gear next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for new gear next season?

I'm new to this forum, so first things first hello everybody.

This year is my first season skiboarding and I'm riding Revel8 75cm Bantam Samurai's with Snowjam X2's. So far I love it, the boards are so easy to ride and super maneuverable. I've gotten pretty good at riding them and I've already done more things on them than I did in 3 years of snowboarding. However, since they are so small they have some limitations, like float and holding an edge at high speeds. Also, landing anything over a medium sized jump is a little sketchy for me, but maybe it's because I'm not super experienced with jumps.

Anyways, next season I was considering stepping up either the boards or the bindings. Probably not both because I don't think I could pay for that. I recently rode my friend's skis for about 6 runs and loved the stability, but maneuverability was not superb (obviously). My home mountain Wachusett is small and mostly all the runs are groomed but since so many people go there they get torn up a lot and don't feel like groomers. I'm 5' 6" and about 130 lbs, and I want boards that will be stable on crud, have pretty good powder float, will still be easy to maneuver, and have nice solid landings(don't we all want boards like this? lol just want some extra opinions ). I was thinking maybe KTP's or Slapdash's. Or maybe getting new bindings will help? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You are right around my size. I started on 98cm boards for my first season and after getting on Revolts (105cm) I've never looked back. For someone our size they are perfect. They are stable, not too long which allows for great control, the added length allows for solid landings, and they allow for plenty of speed. I suggest you look into them as your next purchase. You will not regret it
    I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

I do think those boards would be great, but I would like to stay with non release bindings. Would that be safe enough at that length?

Comment

That's a tough call. Not one that I can make. I ride non-release, but I always have and am very confident in my leg structure and physical ability to the point that I don't even think about that. But, suggestions I believe for your age and size are not to exceed around a 101cm board with non-release bindings. I would allow some more people, including Greco, to chime in on that one. With that being said, since the east coast doesn't really have jumps that are too big (I am consider the speed factor with boards) the KTPs would be an equally suitable option for you with non-release bindings.
        I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Thanks for your input, I think the KTP's or the Revolts would both be great. It does say best height on the Revolts for non release is 5' 8" so it will probably be KTP's.

Comment

I am the same height as you, riding KTPs and BWPs both with non-release bindings. I think the KTPs would be an excellent choice, but I also feel like the Revolts aren't too far out of our height range as far as the recommended height with non-release bindings.

Just be aware that the first couple times out your legs will be slightly more fatigued then usual due to the extra width with the KTPs. It takes a little more effort to get them on edge but you'll adapt quickly after the first few days you get out on them.
            2011 KTPs w/ Silver Receptor Bindings
            2009 BWPs w/ Zero Pro Bindings
            Full Tilt High Fives

Comment

I won't mind adapting to a new board, in fact I'm actually excited to ride something that takes a bit more energy.

Now let's go hypothetical and say I got new bindings, either on the new boards or on my Samurai's. I prefer speed and carving the most, while powder and park are tied in second place. Which bindings do you guys prefer:
              Bomber Elite 2's
              Revel8 Receptors
              Zero Pro Silver

Comment

Working...
              X