This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New KTP and ProPrime Riser Unboxing & First Impressions

So I realize that it is now February but I gotta tell you...Santa (the FedEx dude) was at my door this AM with a couple boxes of goodies that have just completely made my day!!! My NEW KTP's and Spruce ProPlus Riser Binding set up. Here are some unboxing photos and general initial thoughts.

The packaging....really not a fan of that big dent at the end of the box...what the heck did they put on these things, bowling balls...my KTP's better not be harmed.

Opening of the Spruce Riser Box!!!

After removal of the packaging, these things sure are nice.

Side View of one of the Risers

The underside of the Riser, the black thing is plastic screwed into place with four screws.

New Monkey Bag....holy crap this thing is big....much bigger than I thought it would be. Very roomy

My Leashes, I know they have brakes but several folks pointed out how much it sucks trying to find a board buried in deep powder...a thought I did not relish, so leashes it is. They sure did take a beating though in the box, the one box on the L was literally ripped to shreds.

Just beautiful!!!!! Excited about the Revel8 stickers too which now look like eyebrows.

Front part of the riser/binding, the black plastic is what sits on the board.

Back part of the riser/binding.

Underside of the riser where the front part of the binding attaches

Black plastic part...this is the only part of the riser that touches the skiboards.

Back part of the riser where the back binding attaches. I think this shows I have small feet.

Risers attached!!! Now I can go carpet boarding till I get out on the slopes!!

Just awesome, what else can I say.

So here is some comparison. While the middle was not wider than I thought it would be the tip/tails just like myself are what's so wide. Here's a BluRay box for comparison. What some fat ass skiboards!!!

So first impressions, the bindings were packed nicely and seem very sturdy. They came with 8 screws, attaching them too the boards were rather easy. I popped in my boot the fit is nice and snug no wiggling, I'll have to do the ole carpet twist test and take them into the shop to make sure every things good but so far very please with the workmanship and what I see here. I'm glad I got them. One thing that did surprise me is the springiness of the risers when attached too the board, they have a bit of flex at the tip and tail. When attached too the board they do prop you up nicely which should make it easier to get on edge I hope. Only complaint....no Spruce sticker....I love gear stickers.

The KTP's are just amazingly beautiful. They are much lighter than I thought they would be. One board and binding is approximately 6.5-7lbs per my scale. The flex is more firm than I had expected them too be I knew they were less flexy but these are some stiff boards. The waist while wide was just about what I had excepted it was the tail/tip that most amazed me. The top sheets are amazing they are very pretty there is a slight opaqueness too the top not as shiny as I thought they would be. There is a light waxing on the bottom, the bottoms were nice and smooth without any divots or bulging as several folks have had with their Summit boards. The extra set of inserts are also super nice too have. I've never ridden in powder but with how quick and easy it is to put on these bindings I can't wait to someday put these things in the rear position and try powder. The only problem I saw with the KTP's was a small scraping from the top sheet on the tip. This was most likely cause from the shipping (see the box) and not a manufacturer issue. As I planed on chamfering the top sheet it won't be a problem/issue. I loved that there were four stickers included, two of them have already been placed one on my helmet and one on my Sportube. The handful of neatly shaped business cards are nice too. Would have been nice for spot that we could put our name so when we give them to someone and they buy something we can get our $10 store credit. I'll just have to write my name on them

Overall Rating
    Spruce Riser/Bindings 4.95/5- pt. deducted for lack of stickers
    KTP 4.8/5 -pt's deducted for the slight opaqueness on the top sheet I was expecting more of a glossy look from the photos. I may just be the glue still drying and may take time.

Hope y'all enjoy the photos of the unboxing. I remember someone mentioned they wanted to know what it looked like from the side while mounted. Hope some of the above helps.

Cheers,
    John

Nice unboxing, I also have the 2011 KTPs.

If you're that excited already wait until you get them on the mountain. Cheers.
    2011 KTPs w/ Silver Receptor Bindings
    2009 BWPs w/ Zero Pro Bindings
    Full Tilt High Fives

Comment

Boy you were really thorough with the picture taking. Nice job!

I've bought a lot of Spruce products. I have never received any stickers, so don't feel left out. I don't think they exist.

It's too bad the risers cover up the eyes. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen with non-release bindings.

Now get on the slopes and let us know how awesome they are.

Enjoy!
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Ha, I figured a picture is worth a thousand words so I posted a small novels worth of pics. I'm a very visual person. I figured seeing all these pictures may help someone else with their purchase decision. There were so many questions I came across about what the risers look like and how they sit on the board etc during my own research.

Yeah they probably don't exist which is just sad. . I like the bindings just fine just wanted the sticky. . I'll get over it

Yes it is ver unfortunate that the riser covers the eyes the coolest part of the board but I'd rather cover up the eyes than increase my risk of a bad knee injury or a broken leg. I can't imagine hobbling around the hospital seeing my patients on crutches or a wheel chair....ughhh

Ha yes sempai, I'm headed to Telluride in 32 days . I'll let you know what I think of them and will be getting some helpful tips from Dave Bloom while there. I'm very fortunate to get to learn from him.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to take the photos and post these details - good stuff.

The side shots of the risers were great - I didn't realize they were shaped like they are and that the heel and toe piece areas are not on the boards at all and the gap is that big between the board and the ramped part of the risers. I now understand why these would allow more area of the board to flex than bindings directly affixed to the board (which I know you can't do with Revel8 boards).

I would be interested to know the distance from the:

--End of the toe piece/riser front to the board tip
          --End of the heel piece/riser back to the board tail

Would you mind taking those measurements and posting them? Good reference for how much board in front and behind.
          In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
            Thanks for taking the time to take the photos and post these details - good stuff.

The side shots of the risers were great - I didn't realize they were shaped like they are and that the heel and toe piece areas are not on the boards at all and the gap is that big between the board and the ramped part of the risers. I now understand why these would allow more area of the board to flex than bindings directly affixed to the board (which I know you can't do with Revel8 boards).

I would be interested to know the distance from the:

--End of the toe piece/riser front to the board tip
            --End of the heel piece/riser back to the board tail

Would you mind taking those measurements and posting them? Good reference for how much board in front and behind.
            Im glad you liked them. I didn't realize the risers were like that either I thought they were completely flat with the board as well. One thing that surprised me was the "flex" of the riser toe/heel pieces. They had a bit of bend too them which I wasn't expecting. I'll get the measurements. I'm visiting my folks but should be backin Bham in a few days. The bluray sleeve on the last picture should give you an idea abot at least the length from the tail to the rear riser. .

Ill also try to rember to take one of the bindsings set back one notch on the board and get those measurements as well.

John

Comment

As requested, photos and measurements of the bindings centered and off-set.

The boards one binding center, the other set back.

Upclose view of the tails showing the differences between the bindings. It's 1.5 inches difference

Front of the boards showing the riser spacing difference again it's 1.5 inches

Tail measurement with centered riser

Tail measurement with riser set back

Tip measurement with riser set back

Tip measurement with riser centered

Hope that helps you out. Cheers!!!
              Last edited by JohnBham; 02-07-2012, 02:51 PM. Reason: Adjust picture/text spacing

Comment

Thanks for the extra photos - much appreciated!
                In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Great looking boards.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Thanks for posting this, the boards look fantastic!

I'm a release binding man and was always wondering how the spruce bindings attached to the boards in order to still allow them to flex, so thanks for the info.

You have answered a lot of the questions I had about the boards and will now be buying KTP boards soon. Very interested in what they are like to ride?

Comment

Working...
                    X