Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KTP's vs Revolts for 1st/2nd board

Hey Y'all!!!

New to the forum and to skiboarding, first became aware of it 12 yrs ago while at Killington , wow that guy was just smiling and having so much fun while I was struggling on my ski's hating how hard it was.

So here's the situation for contemplation. I have some Summit Nomads but am not sure I'm going to keep them, giving serious thoughts to returning them and getting some Revel8's instead, I'm feeling the need to support the forum for helping me as much as it has. I have read several threads on which boards for which person and the opinions seem pretty varied all around as to which is best for those starting out. I've looked at the board selection graph in the past but still don't know which would be the best board to get. I've looking at the KTP's because honestly I think they are the absolute coolest looking boards around and I can't stop looking at them. The other board I'm considering is the Revot "Trees" there's just something about the simplicity of the design that's very appealing.

So here are the questions and my stats/what I'm looking for. 5'8, 185. I have rollerbladed for years recreationally. I'm an alright skier (blues some black), just began moguls. Never skied the trees but would love to learn, never skied powder but really look forward to doing so. Have no interest in the park, my feet prefer to stay on the ground. Going fast is not a priority for me at this point. Having control is most important thing for me.

1) From what I understand the KTP's are "harder" to get on an absolute edge and someone mentioned they are more like a dimmer than a light switch, so easier in a sense to skid or adjust the amount of edge bite vs the Revolts. Is this a general feeling about these boards?

2) I have a knee issue. Which of the above boards or other boards usually are easier on the knees. My rollerblades give me no problems at all and usually make the knees feel better.

3) Due to the aforementioned knee issue I would only use Releasable bindings. The biggest question is for those of you who do have the KTP's do you find your leases are a bigger pain and that you wish you had the brakes instead?? I like the idea of being able to take a binding and switching between different boards, from my understanding the KTP's would have to have the larger brakes and are only good on the KTP's and the Condors, so I couldn't switch them over to lets say Revolts with the extra wide brakes....is that also true?? Have you found yourself with release of the bindings using leashes that you're tripping over your board when it releases causing your subsequent fall to be more uneasy??

4) I remember hating the chatter of my skis, which of the KTP's vs Revolts would feel more stable underfoot?

5) Given what I'm looking for and my background which boards would you suggest that I get??

Thank you all to your input, I look forward to hearing your thoughts and appreciate your time to help me with this decision.

John

First off, welcome to the SBOL Forum John!!!!!!

Second, thank you for all the information you have given us!

Since you already have looked at the selection table I won't repost that link.

Knee issues and basically you just wanna have fun on the slopes and if you find some powder you'd like to hit it or try the trees... ok.

If you really think you'd do powder, then I have to say the KTP's because you can set the bindings back and cruise in the powder better than on the Revolt. But overall powder riding is better using a powder board such as the Spruce 120 or the Condor's. Thus why folks have 2 or 3 different boards.

Getting on edge, yes easier on the Revolt over the KTP.

My husband LOVES the KTP's, he is 6ft 175lbs. He usually just does the groomed runs but has a freaking blast! If powder is around he has to lean way back since he doesn't normally ride them set back.

A good all around board top in sales, in in deed the Revolt. But the KTP is versatile and usually does better with a heavier aggressive rider. It's a nice size & width too, but yes can be harder to get on edge.. but you would be fine on them according to what you've mentioned.

When it gets right down to it.... either board would be fine, you can even go for the 110cm ALP/DLP.. that's a great board! Easy to carve on and a little more length for stability and hitting up some powder(still gotta lean back).

Revolt & KTP both are stable, nimble & fast and... FUN!

I always say, pick the graphics you really like the most and just go for it! You will adapt to what ever board you choose.

Yes wider brakes needed for the KTP.

Chatter... my big ole brother on the Snowjams 90cm boards... those chatter!!!!!! LOL! Not much chatter with the R8 boards in my use of them. And these boards in general are easier on the knees versus regular ski's or a snowboard.

Your background allows you to freely ride either board with ease!
    Pick the sickest graphics and go for it!
    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Hey John!

I totally agree with you about the KTPs looking the coolest! When I first joined those were my "dream" boards! I was pretty worried when I ordered my KTPs seeing that I had never skiboarded before and they are wide (not recommended for beginners.) I definitely have to say that it took me about a day to "figure out" my boards. What I mean is how I wanted to ride them and find the edge....don't get me wrong it was super fun and I was going down blacks during this time. I found my edge fairly quickly, but I can't tell you how they compare to other boards

Another thing you mention chatter. IMO my skiboards aren't nearly as chattery as any kind of skis I tried. I know the longer you go the more stable they are at higher speeds and all around riding. I'm almost 6 foot and chatter isn't a big problem at all. Some times when I get going fast they chatter a little but no where near what my skis did. Seriously this these are way more fun than skis

Last time I went out I took this things in some thick heavy pow and trees. They did awesome. I love the option of setting your bindings back (which is only found on the KTPs) helped a lot and made it that much easier to ride in powder.

I know this was a very jaded view point for the KTPs I'm sure someone on here can compare boards for you.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBham View Post
        Hey Y'all!!!

So here are the questions and my stats/what I'm looking for. 5'8, 185. I have rollerbladed for years recreationally. I'm an alright skier (blues some black), just began moguls. Never skied the trees but would love to learn, never skied powder but really look forward to doing so. Have no interest in the park, my feet prefer to stay on the ground. Going fast is not a priority for me at this point. Having control is most important thing for me.

1) From what I understand the KTP's are "harder" to get on an absolute edge and someone mentioned they are more like a dimmer than a light switch, so easier in a sense to skid or adjust the amount of edge bite vs the Revolts. Is this a general feeling about these boards?

This is my opinion of course but the KTPs are not hard at all to get on edge. they are wider but not that much. The biggest difference is not the width its the shorter turning radius and that it is a stiffer board. Since it is stiffer with short turning radius it is much more like a light switch to me then the revolts. It justs snaps from edge to edge. Oh I am 5'10" 185lbs

2) I have a knee issue. Which of the above boards or other boards usually are easier on the knees. My rollerblades give me no problems at all and usually make the knees feel better.

Theoretically the shorter boards might be safer, but I would say they are about the same. Get yourself a decent hinged knee brace and even if you don't wear it bring it to the slopes just in case. Thats what my friend does.

3) Due to the aforementioned knee issue I would only use Releasable bindings. The biggest question is for those of you who do have the KTP's do you find your leases are a bigger pain and that you wish you had the brakes instead?? I like the idea of being able to take a binding and switching between different boards, from my understanding the KTP's would have to have the larger brakes and are only good on the KTP's and the Condors, so I couldn't switch them over to lets say Revolts with the extra wide brakes....is that also true?? Have you found yourself with release of the bindings using leashes that you're tripping over your board when it releases causing your subsequent fall to be more uneasy??

I have used extra wide brakes on revolts and spruce 120s, it wasn't a problem.I have never used releasables with leashes.

4) I remember hating the chatter of my skis, which of the KTP's vs Revolts would feel more stable underfoot?

About the same the softer revolts might absorb some bumps a little more then the ktps. Keep in mind the revolts are not soft boards they just aren't stiff like the ktps.

5) Given what I'm looking for and my background which boards would you suggest that I get??
        John
        Theoretically the KTPs are more versatile because of their better powder performance, but for some reason I find the revolts better in variable crappier conditions. So for me who doesn't get the chance to do much powder I would consider them about equal for versatility. Really the boards just have slightly different personalities they would both suit you great and honestly the only way you would know is to try them both over a few days. I own both and use both interchangeably and I still haven't decided which I like better, I like them both a lot. That is why people often suggest just picking the one with the graphics you prefer.
        www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
        DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
        Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
        GGO soft boot bindings
        Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

WOW, thanks guys for such great long replies Nessa/Pink, much more than I was expecting or probably deserve!!

I kinda had to chuckle with the heavy/agressive rider comment Pink. I'm certainly heavier but I'm as aggressive as a sleeping 6yr old at least when it comes to going down the hill. Just don't take away my teddy bear and all is happy.

I'm definitely loving those KTP graphics they are the sickest boards I think I've ever seen. I just look at them and get SOOO excited....not to mention they'll match my spiky helmet cover!! Lets face it...it's what makes the outfit.

Ok so gotta use the wider brakes, gotcha!! So can you use the wider brakes with lets say the revolts or DLP/ALP's also I know it says you can't/shouldn't does anyone know the reason why you can't???

What about the leashes.....does anyone have experience with using the releasable bindings with leashes and do you find them to be a PITA vs having brakes??

God you guys are awesome!!!!!

John

Comment

hahaha!

Leashes, no I don't use them with my releasable binding,, see no reason to if I have brakes. As for using wide brakes on a Revolt, I see no real reason as to why not, I guess you could squeeze them back smaller if you wanted too, but then you'd have to stretch them again for the KTP. I dunno, anyone else?

Sounds like the KTP is for you!!!!! pull the trigger! You'll be fine on them even though I say 'aggressive' LOL It's just that more you do on them, or the more you push them, the better they get you you get!
            C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Hey Bee, thanks for your input. So you've used the wider brakes on other boards without issue. That is good to hear. Thank you for that. I'd really just love to get one set of bindings and then several different boards...you know somedays you feel like a nut, somedays you don't and somedays you ARE a nut. I knew it would come to this, not so much a choice of which one to get more a questions of which one to get first. Y'all are not helping my bank account.....well I'm not either but it makes me feel better if I can blame it on you guys.

Pinkkid, LOL...I don't think I said that right. I wouldn't be using both leashes AND brakes....that would make me a moron maybe even a "gaper" I think I've seen that term around here. I'm pretty sure Dave Bloom would just laugh at me when we meet up in Telluride. The hat's bad enough. I would use the non braked w/ leashes or the wide brake bindings just trying to figure out what folks like or don't like about both of them. Familiar with brakes from skiing but not the leashes. LOL..... Ok so *dumb question alert*....you mean to tell me you can take the wide brakes and make them "skinny" brakes just by pushing them in ?!?!?!?!

Comment

why not! Once you see the brakes you'll know what I mean.

Yes you'll end up with several boards once you really get into it... which will be your first day out!

Buy the KTP's, you LOVE the graphics, if you don't you'll always be wanting them still. Heck, you are still gonna be wondering about the Revolts too! Maybe SBOL's rental service is what you should do, try them BOTH and which ever you like you pay for and keep and send back the other! win win!
                C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Originally posted by pinkkid View Post
                  why not! Once you see the brakes you'll know what I mean.

Yes you'll end up with several boards once you really get into it... which will be your first day out!

try them BOTH and which ever you like you pay for and keep and send back the other! win win!
                  That's a good idea.....however I know me...I probably won't want to give either back and then I'll end up with TWO boards..... One's expensive enough!!

I'm thinking there will be some KTP's in my future reallllly soon after all it is payday today.

Comment

Sweeeeeeet! and yes the KTP will look steezey with your spike hat!

Enjoy!
                    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Originally posted by pinkkid View Post
                      Yes you'll end up with several boards once you really get into it... which will be your first day out! This is so true!

Buy the KTP's, you LOVE the graphics, if you don't you'll always be wanting them still. Heck, you are still gonna be wondering about the Revolts too! Maybe SBOL's rental service is what you should do, try them BOTH and which ever you like you pay for and keep and send back the other! win win!
                      Renting first is a very good idea!

I love the graphics on the KTPs, but don't care for the boards themselves. The graphics keep calling out to me though.

I have leashes on my one pair of releaseables that I use on my Rockered Condors. I much rather use brakes. It's not a huge deal, just extra bending over. It's actually a good idea to use leashes in deep powder even if you have brakes. The boards can become buried if they pop off, and it's a biatch to find them.
                      Boards/Bindings:
                      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                        Renting first is a very good idea!

I love the graphics on the KTPs, but don't care for the boards themselves. The graphics keep calling out to me though.

I have leashes on my one pair of releaseables that I use on my Rockered Condors. I much rather use brakes. It's not a huge deal, just extra bending over. It's actually a good idea to use leashes in deep powder even if you have brakes. The boards can become buried if they pop off, and it's a biatch to find them.
                        Ohh really, what is it about the boards that you don't care for, is it their stiffness or the way they move, can you be any more specific???

That's a very good point, have you had any problem with your leashes when you do pop out of your binding do you find that it trips you up more with a pop out having the leashes with the boards flopping around by your feet???

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBham View Post
                          Ohh really, what is it about the boards that you don't care for, is it their stiffness or the way they move, can you be any more specific???

That's a very good point, have you had any problem with your leashes when you do pop out of your binding do you find that it trips you up more with a pop out having the leashes with the boards flopping around by your feet???
                          I had a pair about 3 seasons ago for a short time. I had a hard time getting them on edge. I didn't like the width. My feet ached when I rode them for some strange reason. Maybe it was due to the stiffness. I don't know. There are a ton of people who love the KTPs. Maybe I would feel differently about them today. I hated the Spruce 120s at first, but now I love them.

I've only started using leashes recently with my releaseables. I haven't had a spill yet where the Condors have popped off.
                          Boards/Bindings:
                          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Regarding leashes with brakes is kinda debatable. They can be annoying trying to get on but its worth it if you lose a board in pow. Leashes also keep boards from sliding cross way down a hill. I say go for your favorite graphics. I was pretty nervous when I first ordered my boards because of their width. But I had no problem. Its really up to you now.

Comment

Thank you to everyone who has responded and helped me out. This is obviously a great group of folks and you are very willing to answer questions and help out. I really appreciate it. It looks like I have some "thinking" to do. I'll let ya'll know what I decide....I'm getting kinda excited and an itchy trigger finger so to speak!!! I have a feeling I'll soon be the owner of some new KTP's .

John

Comment

Working...
                              X