No announcement yet.

KTP's vs Revolts for 1st/2nd board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll throw in my thoughts. Even as a relative beginner, the KTP was my first real skiboard that I owned and loved ... right off the bat... no adjustment needed by me. I am dead on your size ... 5'8" and 185 lbs ... give or take a cheeseburger or 2.

I never did find them hard to get on edge. I'd say "hard" is the wrong choice of word (at least for me). They just take a bit "more" to get them there. When I say "more", I simply mean more motion... dipping your knees a little deeper to the inside of the turn. When you do get them there, they carve trenches like no other board I've ridden. The short length and short turning radius make them soooo easy to pilot and turn. When I compare the turning of the KTP to other boards I've owned and ridden, I'd say they hook into tighter carves when you want them to but the transitions from one side to the other are stretched a bit whereas narrower boards are faster in edge to edge transitions. When you don't want to carve so tightly and cleanly, it is easy to "soft edge" them a bit and just cruise.

I've found chatter coming from trying to force a board into a tighter turning radius than the arc of the sidecut supports. Put the boards on edge, dig those edges in, let the boards carve themselves - no chatter.

Wide brakes on narrower boards = no problem

At Shredfest 2 in Sqaw Valley I rode KTPs all day from the rear inserts in all kinds of conditions from untouched fresh pow to chop, to smooth groom. They were great.

I'm not riding KTPs now becuase I got hooked on the Condors and now have Sherpas, but I highly recommend. KTPs are what addicted me to skiboarding and will always be my first love.
    Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
    Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
    Full Tilt Boots
    Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Hi John,
      The KTP's were my first real skiboards and the width never bothered me. I had previously used Bigfoots, Soloman snowblades, Head 94's ,as well as longer skis. I am not a skater. I loved my KTP's then and still do now when I want the quick turning fun board. I think with your skating background you will take to these right away and not look back. These will serve you well on the groomers and also in venturing back into the trees and other deep stuff with their extra width. And as a bonus ,you love the graphics. I have the risers with extra wide brakes. Once you get a set of the risers you are set as they will go on any board. They work great on every board I have (see signature ). I am 5'10" 195 lbs so around your size. Once I got the KTP's I sold all my longer skis and have just been collecting skiboards since. Send back the Nomads and get the KTP's and releasable bindings with wide brakes, you won't regret it.

Chad
      64 CM Bigfoot’s
      100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
      110 CM Rockered Condors
      130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Wow Robert,

If I saw you were posting when I was I could have just wrote ditto. We both have had very similar experiences on them! See you soon.

Chad
        64 CM Bigfoot’s
        100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
        110 CM Rockered Condors
        130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Alright...it is official.....I am now the proud owner of some KTP's!!! I'm completely stoked....broke.....but stoked!!!! I can't wait. I really want to thank you all for your input it helps having so much of it from so many different people. Makes this purchase feel so much better and helped greatly with the decision. I'm sure you are all wondering (or maybe not) but here's all what I got.

KTP's- with the most awesome graphics I've ever seen in my LIFE!!!
          Spruce Pro Plus Bindings with the wide brakes-
          Monkey bag- they had a special
          -I thought about the leashes, and decided to get some of those too. I'm headed to Telluride in 34 days, and after their 2ft snow dump over two days a few weeks ago, I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. The thought of searching the side of a mountain for some freaking boards that are buried under a foot of powder does NOT sound fun. So leashes with the brakes when there's tons of powder.

HORRAY!!! STICKERS!!!! YES!!!!

John

Comment

Man I hate digging for boards!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rgzip View Post
              Man I hate digging for boards!!!
              I never had to do it but just the idea/though of having to search for this freaking flat thing that probably slid another 50 ft down the slope under this blanket of white that doesn't puff up was horrifying to be honest. If the leashes save me even once from having to look for those leashes it'll be the best money spent thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBham View Post
                Alright...it is official.....I am now the proud owner of some KTP's!!! I'm completely stoked....broke.....but stoked!!!! I can't wait. I really want to thank you all for your input it helps having so much of it from so many different people. Makes this purchase feel so much better and helped greatly with the decision. I'm sure you are all wondering (or maybe not) but here's all what I got.

KTP's- with the most awesome graphics I've ever seen in my LIFE!!!
                Spruce Pro Plus Bindings with the wide brakes-
                Monkey bag- they had a special
                -I thought about the leashes, and decided to get some of those too. I'm headed to Telluride in 34 days, and after their 2ft snow dump over two days a few weeks ago, I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. The thought of searching the side of a mountain for some freaking boards that are buried under a foot of powder does NOT sound fun. So leashes with the brakes when there's tons of powder.

HORRAY!!! STICKERS!!!! YES!!!!

John
                YAY!!!! You won't be disappointed!!!! I got the bag too and its super nice- you'll like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessagirl18 View Post
                  YAY!!!! You won't be disappointed!!!! I got the bag too and its super nice- you'll like it.
                  I know I'm stoked!!! this is gone be an expensive addiction isn't it. LOL. Dang it!!! Bad influences!!

Comment

I know I'm stoked!!! this is gone be an expensive addiction isn't it. LOL. Dang it!!! Bad influences!!
                    Yep I'm already looking at getting another pair of boards next winter. This site is the best bad influence I ever found!

Comment

Originally posted by CAN View Post
                      Wow Robert,

If I saw you were posting when I was I could have just wrote ditto. We both have had very similar experiences on them! See you soon.

Chad
                      Ha, ha ... yes we have. Very much looking forward to catching you again this year in Tahoe. I would still love to get down to your neck of the woods for a visit one of these days but other summer adventures keep calling my name. Speaking of which ... don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am headed back down to southern Utah again this summer for a 2 week mancation / hardcore hiking outdoor adventure expedition. Last year was great but I need to ditch the chicks to go a little harder and longer. You'd be welcome to join us if you are interested. Will likely be mid to late June ... somewhere around there.
                      Full Tilt Boots
                      Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Yes. Yes, it is.

An expensive addiction... that is.
                        Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Been out three times on my Revolts and I'm already buying another pair of boards. Yup.
                          '10 Revel8 Revolt "Bullseye"
                          '07 Revel8 ALPs (Thanks, Wendell!)
                          '13 Spruce 120

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
                            Been out three times on my Revolts and I'm already buying another pair of boards. Yup.
                            What are you buying if I may inquire.....being nosey.

Comment

Got my tracking from Spruce...I'm assuming the bindings will becoming separate from the boards and it's the old "some assembly required" deal, is that right? Or did the boards get sent to Spruce and they are on their way too me now bindings attached too the boards??

John

Comment

Working...
                              X