My Experience w/Ordering New Summit Skiboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Experience w/Ordering New Summit Skiboards

Purchased Jade 87s from skiboards.com. One skiboard from the new pair had a small gap in-between the metal edge and the base on the bottom of the skiboard. I call, they agree to send a new pair and to inspect them before sending. Once received, I find that one of the replacement skiboards has the same problem. I ask to keep one ski from each set sent to me that doesn’t have that problem. They agree. I put in new RVL8 receptor bindings on the two skiboards I kept. These bindings are compatible with all 4 hole insert skiboards. I notice that on the bottom of one of the skiboards there are two upward indentations directly where two of the inserts hold the binding in. There were no indentations for the other two inserts on the same board or on the other board even though the bolts were all tightened the same. I call, they tell me that the problem with the original two I sent back is not a problem (the space between the metal edge and the base of the skiboards) and they tell me that the RVL8 bindings caused the problem and that I should order RVL8 skiboards. I correct them and let them know that the base of the skiboards should be finished and that if the RVL8 receptor bindings were the cause of the problem, it would have happened on all four inserts on each skiboard (which didn’t happen). They tell me to return the skiboards (at my own cost) to get a refund.

The refund was given. My issue is that when you buy something new, whether it affects performance or not, there really shouldn’t be anything wrong with it. No one sells you a new coffee cup with a chipped handle. Just because it works doesn’t mean it couldn’t become a problem in the future and something should look good when you spend your hard earned money on it. When it comes to the problem with the inserts, there’s no reason why this should’ve happened other than the skiboard having some kind of internal defect. Otherwise, the same thing would’ve happened on all four inserts on both boards. There was no hot waxing involved and nothing but my hand was used to screw the bindings into the inserts. I did not use any extra force to tighten the bindings to the skiboards. Now maybe the skiboard with the indentations would’ve been safe to ride, but that’s not the point. First off, there should be no maybe(when I’m flying down a mountain, I’d like to be confident that my binding will still be attached to my skiboard) in regards to the skiboards being safe to ride, and second, I just bought these new and this shouldn’t happen with a new board.

I don’t think I was being unfair and I hope people will read this and take another look at their skiboards if they order new skiboards from Summit. Their customer service was poor and the company tried to blame everyone else but themselves for the shoddy quality of the skiboards I ordered. You might end up getting a good pair of skiboards from them, but I can honestly say taking the chance and going through what I went through is certainly not worth it.
    Last edited by Greco; 02-16-2015, 06:58 PM.

This is not surprising to me. My last couple of transactions with skiboards.com were unpleasant. I'll never buy from them again. Stick with SBOL. You get quality products and superb customer service.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

This is truly sad. You are totally right in that when you buy something new it should look and be new. There is no excuses they can make that would cover their poor products. I just fear for all those trying to get in the sport of skiboarding and end up with service and boards like this. I'm so glad I found RVL8!!!!!
      Last edited by Greco; 02-16-2015, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Disgusting show of customer service. It just shows how lucky the community is to have SBOL, RVL8, and most importantly Greco. I would file a claim with your credit card about the shipping/handling charges...it seems they were in the wrong 100%.
        Last edited by Greco; 02-16-2015, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mjames View Post
          RVL8 bindings caused the problem
          False.

Originally posted by mjames View Post
          and that I should order RVL8 skiboards.
          True.

Any company that makes you pay shipping when the problem is a blatant factory defect is run by scumbags. I have never, ever had to do that with any product, and I've sent back everything from handguns to computer parts. Factory defects happen, I understand that, but at that point, the onus is on the manufacturer to make it right, and keep me as a customer.

Just one more reason I'm glad I found SBOL before ordering from Summit.
          Last edited by Greco; 02-16-2015, 06:59 PM.
          '10 Revel8 Revolt "Bullseye"
          '07 Revel8 ALPs (Thanks, Wendell!)
          '13 Spruce 120

Comment

just to add some balance, i have ordered many times through skiboards.com and never had an issue.
            Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
            Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Comment

Originally posted by graeme View Post
              just to add some balance, i have ordered many times through skiboards.com and never had an issue.
              Have you ever had to deal with their customer service reps, though? That's the true test of a company's character.
              '10 Revel8 Revolt "Bullseye"
              '07 Revel8 ALPs (Thanks, Wendell!)
              '13 Spruce 120

Comment

no, like i say i have never had an issue with any order. always emailed doc direct for orders. boards have never had a deffect
                Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
                Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Comment

My experience ordering with sbol.com

Emailed Greco on the way home from the mountain the other day. Asked him to call me so I could ask him something.

5 minutes later, my phone rings. Asked him his opinions on binding, while posting the same question on the forum with tap talk.

Got home from the mountain, placed my order. Got an email from Greco 10 minutes ago to let me know the package left today and I should have them tomorrow.

Ill let you know what time they get here tomorrow if you want, but why would I ever want to even deal with anyone else? I read things here about all these problems with other companies. The I see people selling boards from made by other companies. I think sometimes because of price maybe I should buy them. Then I say to myself...Why even bother. There are plenty of boards here I want to try, and well judging from what I read of others. Not so many from other companies .

Save yourself time and hassle and just give Greco your money. At least you know then you are supporting a good cause, and well really why we are all here no?
                  33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by graeme View Post

Me too. I've also had no issues with the products.
                    Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                    Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                    Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                    History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
                      Me too. I've also had no issues with the products.
                      I'm glad to hear not everyone had the same experience I had. I just felt the need the post cause the guy gave me attitude over the phone like it was my fault. He's lucky I don't post a review of his products on amazon and eBay.

Comment

Where are they made?

I am wondering where the Summit Marauders (and others) are made. It doesn't say anywhere on the board.

I had to use a hot knife to cut off parts of the plastic brakes that would scrape the edge on the way up. Dodgy stuff.
                        http://heartcarve.com - Travel into the Future

Comment

Originally posted by adrian33 View Post
                          I am wondering where the Summit Marauders (and others) are made. It doesn't say anywhere on the board.

I had to use a hot knife to cut off parts of the plastic breaks that would scrape the edge on the way up. Dodgy stuff.
                          Summits are made here in the US, Colorado if I remember correctly. Lacroix made the old ones.... woodies, titanial and carbons.
                          Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                          Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                          Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                          History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Working...
                          X