Bomber Fin-tecs & Step-ins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... (drumroll....)
    I've shared 4 photos via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/sharepr...hp?id=MjYzNzA=
    The Line Transfer boots are so much more comfortable than the Deeluxe Indy's I had originally purchased used. The Indy's are a great boot, very customizable and solid (this pair could use some new buckles). The stepin setup was used with XL's once at Arapahoe Basin (15 runs), about two weeks ago. Conditions were terrific for early season, cold enough for snow the night before, not icy though. Beers + tons of people × white ribbon of death = a wonderful day on the slopes for me! I didnt put this setup entirely through the paces, didnt got in trees, didnt go in the park, just kinda hung out with everything and enjoyed every minute. Very easy to use and convenient.
    Very rigid interaction to the boards, and my balance wasmm definitely off, but I was able to adjust almost right away. I use the term "adjust" loosely, like Tim said, there is a rear steering feel. It is just a matter of time before the feeling becomes completely natural, I'm sure. Ill keep you informed about upcoming adventures.
    Also just wanted to say thanks Tim for planting the seed, this is a wonderful and convenient setup and I look forward to adding more input as I learn more!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm glad you're enjoying the boots, and that you adjusted quickly to the feel of the step-in system. In my experience, once you are used to the step-in feel, there is no problem going back and forth between it and the standard non-release bindings.

I'll be interested to see your thoughts as the season progresses. Do you have other boards that you'll use the bindings with? I've come to really appreciate the extra rigidity when using wide stiff boards like the R8 KTP's and Condors, and the Twoowt Lions. The solid torsional rigidity really shines when cranking these beasts up on edge. Even with my OG Lines, they're an improvement.
      RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Part 1 of a 2 part post regarding Deeluxe boots and the Bomber Fin-tec step in system.
        Credit goes to Tim CrazyBoy-1 from the SBOL forum who was the first to use that setup on skiboards and has thoroughly documented the setup and the process.

This part will mainly focus on the boot which is a deeluxe Ground Control https://www.deeluxe.com/.../evolution-series/ground-control/
        Deeluxe are known for manufacturing Alpine snowboard boots which are hard shell boots intended for hard charging racing/carving snowboarders. If memory serves me well, sbol used to sell these boots several years ago.
        This year Deeluxe released the ground control which is a hybrid that blends both hard and soft boot features. The bottom part is hard meaning it is compatible with conventional non release bindings and the top half is soft with a BOA system for comfort and warmth.

For us skiboarders who are looking for something that is comfortable but also stiff enough to work for skiing, this looks like a great option that does not necessitate an hard exo-shell over a soft boot like the Apex boot system.

So I bought a pair of these and did some preliminary test for fit and compatibility at home (I will try to go to the local ski hill soon to put them to the test and I'll report back).
        First impression, the stock liner isn't very good, it causes pressure points and is too thick around the toe box for my feet. I swapped it with the liner from my ski boot and instantly felt more comfortable with more toe space. I have an intuition pro-wrap liner on order. I'll heat mold it and that should take care of any fitment issues. (I also use a custom molded in sole which I highly recommend)
        The boot feels much warmer and the general fit/wrap around the bottom leg more uniform and comfortable. My guess it's because of the softer material and the BOA system
        Flex on the other hand as to be expected is on the lower flex side compared to a hard shell boot but still stiffer than the stiffest non alpine snowboard boot. The liner that I have on order is also the stiffest from intuition so that should also make a bit of difference in the future. https://intuitionliners.com/shop/pro-wrap/

When it comes to binding compatibility, it tried it with the Bomber Elite 2s, the Rvl8 receptor, and the spruce pro prime plus with the tyrolia attack2 13.
        It fits perfect with the non release bindings as expected. For the release binding, they fit but my only concern is that the toe pad at the bottom of the boot is too thick and per tyrolia, you need to have 0.5mm of clearance. Regardless of adjustment I could not get 0.5mm gap even with the adjustment of the binding toe plate. I'm not an expert on the topic of release binding function so try at your own risk or ask an expert
        Jason Roussel

This does it for part 1 of my post, if you have any questions or want more photos of the boot please let me know.
        Part 2 will focus on the Fin-tec heel release setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	153582605_10159243103039238_2757838569794069341_o.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	854.3 KB
ID:	263554Click image for larger version

Name:	152627369_10159243102979238_3828803285849837116_o.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	495.1 KB
ID:	263555
        Boards:
        RVL8 2012 Rockered Condor 110cm
        RVL8 2011 Kirk Thompson Pro "KTP" 101cm
        RVL8 2012 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
        RVL8 2007 ALP 110cm

Bindings:
        Bomber Elite2
        RVL8 2014 Receptor "Black"
        Spruce Composite Riser

Boots:
        Nordica Ace of Spades 2013

Comment

Part 2 of Deeluxe boots and the Bomber Fin-tec step in system.

Part 2 focuses on the Fin tec step in setup where I follow the same process detailed by Tim to adapt the bomber skiboard binding to work with the Fin-Tec step in system.

Also, check out these YouTube videos by Bomber on how to install the Fin Tec heels to the boot and how the step in/release system works
          https://youtu.be/_qjSC-tCUmY
          https://youtu.be/keGMTO9EuTg

With the aforementioned links above, anyone with bomber skiboard bindings and a pair of Deeluxe boots or any Fin Tec compatible boots can achieve this setup.

I do have though some updates/findings to share since the original sbol forum post and that's regarding the toe piece. Apparently there was an update to the elite 2 bindings (not sure what year) where they started using toe and heel piece based on the TD3 snowboard binding, I have seen people with the updated design before bomber stopped manufacturing them. The original elite 2 binding were based on the TD2.

How can you tell them apart and what's the difference you ask?
          The newer heel piece has two lightning bolt graphics on the corners and a lip on both sides that holds the bail in place from falling backwards. There's also a 3mm difference in height, my digital calipers measured 15mm height on the newer toe pieces vs 12mm on the originals. Also, original screws are too short, you will need to use M6x16mm screws to hold them in place. In the pictures from my setup you can see the newer toe heel piece installed.

Also, Walker from bomber told me that the step in heel plate was designed to work with the taller/newer toe piece (15mm). Not sure how much of an effect this has on performance if the older 12mm toe piece was used, probably slight forward lean at a minimum...

Check out the following links to the bomber site for some of the parts that are needed for the conversion. Feel free to reach out directly to me or Bomber regarding the parts you need.
          Fin Tect Heels https://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/Fin-Tec-Heels_p_190...
          You can either purchase the Upper conversion kit which has everything you need and takes the guess work out of the equation. Alternatively, you may reuse some of the existing parts from the skiboard kit and order the conversion parts that you need individually, there you need to do some digging and double check that you have everything you need including the right screws https://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/TD3-Upper-Kit_p_34...

To wrap this up, I'm looking forward to testing this setup soon and report back to you guys. In the meantime, feel free to reach out to me if you have questions about this setup.
          FYI, installing the handle on the release cable was a major pain and took many frustrating tries to get it right...

Click image for larger version

Name:	153958722_10159243950844238_3441328045938861020_o.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	263557Click image for larger version

Name:	153030883_10159243951084238_850676859125836699_o.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	263558Click image for larger version

Name:	152706966_10159243950754238_6974492896012837648_o.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	263559
          Boards:
          RVL8 2012 Rockered Condor 110cm
          RVL8 2011 Kirk Thompson Pro "KTP" 101cm
          RVL8 2012 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
          RVL8 2007 ALP 110cm

Bindings:
          Bomber Elite2
          RVL8 2014 Receptor "Black"
          Spruce Composite Riser

Boots:
          Nordica Ace of Spades 2013

Comment

Nice work, Sam! I'm really interested to see how you like this setup, in the long run. I'm tempted to update what I have as well, as I realize I've been using my current boots for over a decade. The difference in toe block height is not something I knew about, and I'm now considering adding some height to mine, to match what you have.
            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Working...
            X