Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slow View Post
    WOW!

Excellent job on the video and great explanation. Thanks for putting it all together.
    +++++1
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Thanks guys. I actually had a lot of fun putting the video together, even though it took about six takes and I realize that I still said "good to go" about seven times. I'm going to do a few more videos on binding systems, including ones on Bill's SnowPro based setup and a soft boot step-in system that I discovered, so look for those after Thanksgiving.

I have to say that I'm very surprised that this type of setup is not more prevalent in skiboarding. It is very convenient with the easy-in/easy-out engagement, and the lateral control it provides is awesome. I'm assuming that a lot of it may have to do with the small size of the alpine snowboarding community, and the rarity of the boots. That coupled with the unfortunate perception of skiboarding as basically a form of skiing has led to people automatically going for ski boots. I know that Greco mentioned to me previously that he sold the step-in bindings on SBOL at one point, but the demand was so low that he discontinued them. It's a shame because I think it's a great system.
      RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

I suspect one of the barriers to higher use of the step in binding is that many riders that start skiboarding or skiing buy traditional ski boots and may want releasable bindings initially. Once those investments are made, it is hard to justify the additional costs of hard boots even if the boot and binding system is superior. I may give the step in system a try once I wear out my RE boots. But would need to build a twist out version for use with my longboards.

I look forward to seeing your other videos.
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

1,000 bonus points to Tim on this posting and the video! The skiboard magazine people should make a production deal with you to create some content - you are a natural.
          In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

My goodness Tim, great work and super impressive job on the video, you have a gift there for sure.

Originally posted by slow View Post
            I may give the step in system a try once I wear out my RE boots. But would need to build a twist out version for use with my longboards.
            At first glance it wouldn't seem like the intec system, which amounts to pinning the heel in place, would lend itself to any kind of release mechanism. If it could, though, that would be the ultimate binding ;-)

I have nowhere near Tim's experience (and my set-up was crude compared to his) but do have enough to know it eliminates nearly all slop and play in the boot/binding connection, even compared to conventional nonrelease bindings. The difference in ride is significant (and appealing). It's too bad more riders, especially folks like Valmorel who appreciate these nuanced things, don't get a chance to experience it.

Comment

Tim -- Is it tough to get the tension right at the toe of the boot with this setup? I can see how this would be rock solid at the heel but all other binding systems work by creating compression toe to heel while this is a lock at the heel with no forward pressure on the toe bail. With this setup it would seem tricky to get the toe really locked in.
              Boards:
              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                Tim -- Is it tough to get the tension right at the toe of the boot with this setup? I can see how this would be rock solid at the heel but all other binding systems work by creating compression toe to heel while this is a lock at the heel with no forward pressure on the toe bail. With this setup it would seem tricky to get the toe really locked in.
                I must confess that I was a little concerned about adjusting the bindings when I first got them, but it's actually very simple once you understand it. The holes in the heel receiver are not perfectly round. They are actually slightly slotted fore to aft. This means that there is a bit of play there, and this is where the toe bail comes in. Basically, you just set the heel piece in such a way that the boot is in the desired position, and then you make the necessary adjustments to the toe piece to achieve a bit of tension. Having said all that, one of my boots has had a bit of slop in the toe for a while now, and I haven't gotten around to fixing it because I honestly don't feel any difference when I'm riding. This is one of the best features of the step-in system, it gives the rider a great sense of security. Even if the toe is not set "perfectly," you can ride hard knowing that the heel is totally locked in.

If I get some extra time and have the motivation, maybe I'll make another video showing how I set the bindings up from scratch. I already took one heel apart for this video, so I could easily take the toe apart and then reassemble and set the positions. We'll have to see how hard Thanksgiving hits me.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Thank you so much Ti, amazing job!! This was very informative and now that I know the exact procedure, I might keep these Bomber Elite II's I have. Thought about selling them, but now they have a purpose. Next step, buy some expensive boots.... Thanks again!!!

Comment

My pleasure, Austin. Let me know if you need any help with the setup. If you get boots, I'd be happy to lend you the extra Intec heels that I have and an Elite 1 step-in setup.

As I mentioned in the video, you can get used alpine boots for a decent price. Just check the BomberOnline forum classifieds section and keep an eye on eBay. I've seen them go for as little as $50. The heat moldable liners can be fitted up to six times, so if you get a used pair they can be fitted to your feet.

Comment

All pieces in the mail amd looking forward to putting this bomber ii setup together tomorrow. Can't believe i finally bit the bullet on this stepin thang!! Thanks tim, you are the man!!

Comment

Originally posted by krillinakw View Post
                        All pieces in the mail amd looking forward to putting this bomber ii setup together tomorrow. Can't believe i finally bit the bullet on this stepin thang!! Thanks tim, you are the man!!
                        Austin, it looks like you're putting together a step-in/fin-tech binding set-up like Tim's? That's exciting, keep us posted!

Comment

I enjoyed reading back over this thread and re watching Tim's video. It really is cool to see all the customizations forum members have created over the years with bindings.
                          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by krillinakw View Post
                            Awesome! I'm happy to see the video was of use to someone, and I'll be interested to hear your opinion after you've been able to spend some time with the new setup. Just make sure you give yourself a bit to get used to the feel. I wasn't so sure of things until I had been out a couple times and got used to the "rear-steering" feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                              Awesome! I'm happy to see the video was of use to someone, and I'll be interested to hear your opinion after you've been able to spend some time with the new setup. Just make sure you give yourself a bit to get used to the feel. I wasn't so sure of things until I had been out a couple times and got used to the "rear-steering" feeling.
                              Dude, snagged a pair of Line Transfer boots for $100 also!! Oh man, such a rewarding past month of gear collecting!! I'll post pictures first thing tomorrow!! Strange feels when riding, but totally worth the time and money! Beautiful setup and it is rigid! Hardcore!!!

Comment

Looking forward to those pictures. The Line Transfer boots are on the heavy side, but they're comfortable overall.

Comment

Working...
                                X