Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I take lessons?

G'day, all!

In a few months I'll be going to the slopes for the second time in my life. Last year I snowboarded, took a few lessons, and was getting reasonably good at it, except the trails (and anything steepish, or with moguls or ice) scared the bejesus out of me. I decided to just go skiing this year, until my teacher, the organizer of said trip, suggested snowblading, his preferred method of snowsliding.

Long story short, I have hardly any experience on the slopes, and very little on rollerblades or ice skates too. Should I take ski lessons on a dry slope before I go? They would set me back a hefty 200 euros, and would take up a good deal of time, so I'd rather not if possible. Would my time and money be better spent on a pair of rollerblades? Also, being a poor seventeen-year-old who doesn't come from a skiing background, I can't really buy a new pair of proper skiboards. It looks like all I can rent where I'm going are Snowblades or 120cm twintip skis, are they still worth it?

Thanks in advance!

YMMV, but ...

At least one day of skiing lessons would be beneficial. Both of my kids had that, plus one day of skiiing afterwards. Both of them got onto skiboards afterwards and none of them are using skis now.

At least with a decent skiiing lessons they should teach how to get on and off the lifts as well, which sometimes, can be more intimidating that learning to ski.
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

I have rented the Fun Ski(?) 120 from your link in Austria and was impressed.
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

Thanks! I've booked a few skiing lessons, found a way to make it a bit cheaper. So the Fun Ski is probably a better choice than the Snowblades?

Comment

Originally posted by ZachE View Post
          Thanks! I've booked a few skiing lessons, found a way to make it a bit cheaper. So the Fun Ski is probably a better choice than the Snowblades?
          I would go with the snowblades for two days, then switch. Ultimately the 120 is much more competent and stable, but forst couple of days on the shorter option will be valuable.
          Crossbow (go to dream board)
          Most everything else over time.
          Go Android

Comment

I think everyone should start out on shorties

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
              I think everyone should start out on shorties
              I think everyone should stay on shorties...
              If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
              www.GetFitnessFast.com
              www.FastFitShake.com
              www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
              '07 BWP's
              2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
              Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

Most people that switch to shorties never go back...

Comment

Originally posted by Belle1708 View Post
                  I think everyone should stay on shorties...
                  right on!
                  C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Along the lines of lessons while on skiboards in a group skiing lesson. Would you bring and use poles even though you're on skiboards while doing the lessons???

Comment

On the subject of lessons... We are up at Sunday river in Maine, they give you a lesson very day. Yesterday my girl is all " I'm gonna go take an intermediate lesson and you should too. Maybe you will learn something. I go over to the school with her. Explain what I do. The woman at the desk says ok. We hang around for. A half hour. When the school stars assembling, the instructor looks at my " funny short ski's" and goes, "do those bindings release?" and then " I have to go ask my boss" who then comes outside and explains that even after I signed a release that my bindings were dangerous because if I went one way ad my boards went another I could tweak my leg.. Blah blah blah

They came up with ingenious idea. They go " we have some 120 rental ski's we could out you on" to which I responded do your rental ski's have the same side cut? Will they handle like my boards? Nope, no thank you, see ya later.

While I'm sure there are many transferable skills I may learn. I'm doing really well on my own. If your not willing to help me on my terms well then f --k you, I don't need you.

---
                      I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.467289,-70.846722
                      33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

These two quotes from Instant Skiiing, Instant Fun by Doc Roberts sum it up:

"Every time a serious attempt has been made to introduce short skis
                        for normal use, the entrenched orthodoxy of skiing, let by instructors, ski
                        makers and racers; have pooh-poohed them off the slopes. - Bob Parker, Skiing Magazine
                        "

"Even if you see through the illusions created by cultural paradigms, you’re still
                        surrounded by the cultural majority who will try to keep you doing what they
                        believe is acceptable. Surrounded by others who are paralyzed by the existing
                        paradigms, it takes a real shift or breakthrough to be set free.
                        "

The whole skiing industry is geared about selling you more training, selling you the latest gear to look cool on the slopes, the latest fancy skis which you do need. It has no interest in you having fun. To some extent many in the skiing industgry is so cultural programmed, it reminds me of George Orwell's 1984.
                        Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                        Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                        Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                          These two quotes from Instant Skiiing, Instant Fun by Doc Roberts sum it up:

"Every time a serious attempt has been made to introduce short skis
                          for normal use, the entrenched orthodoxy of skiing, let by instructors, ski
                          makers and racers; have pooh-poohed them off the slopes. - Bob Parker, Skiing Magazine
                          "

"Even if you see through the illusions created by cultural paradigms, you’re still
                          surrounded by the cultural majority who will try to keep you doing what they
                          believe is acceptable. Surrounded by others who are paralyzed by the existing
                          paradigms, it takes a real shift or breakthrough to be set free.
                          "

The whole skiing industry is geared about selling you more training, selling you the latest gear to look cool on the slopes, the latest fancy skis which you do need. It has no interest in you having fun. To some extent many in the skiing industgry is so cultural programmed, it reminds me of George Orwell's 1984.

I thought it was very funny. I told her I couldn't get lessons, and that if i wanted them I would take a ride to PA. A few weeks ago someone new was on here and Dave Lyman and a bunch of other people went and met up with the guy.

We were at the bar the night before talking to two ski instructors. Who were quite confident they could give me lessons. I told her and the two women it wasn't gonna happen. To which I got attitude from the girlfriend who said " Why do you think no one can teach you anything" Wasn't my point at all.

I agree with well I guess what Doc wrote....People are sheep....today, I am coming down a trail, I stop to get a breath. there were a bunch of people standing there. Asked me about my ski's. One of the women said " oh, my son asked for those for Christmas. I went to the ski shop and they told me they are bad, they wouldn't sell them to me." Handed her a card and said, "If you have any questions there is a forum of very nice and VERY helpful people on this site. Your ski shop doesn't know what they are talking about, if you want to find out...Go to sbol!"

They said thank you and told me they wanted to watch me take off. I picked the steepest part of the trail and laid down a hand dragger:-)
                          33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                            I thought it was very funny. I told her I couldn't get lessons, and that if i wanted them I would take a ride to PA. A few weeks ago someone new was on here and Dave Lyman and a bunch of other people went and met up with the guy.

We were at the bar the night before talking to two ski instructors. Who were quite confident they could give me lessons. I told her and the two women it wasn't gonna happen. To which I got attitude from the girlfriend who said " Why do you think no one can teach you anything" Wasn't my point at all.

I agree with well I guess what Doc wrote....People are sheep....today, I am coming down a trail, I stop to get a breath. there were a bunch of people standing there. Asked me about my ski's. One of the women said " oh, my son asked for those for Christmas. I went to the ski shop and they told me they are bad, they wouldn't sell them to me." Handed her a card and said, "If you have any questions there is a forum of very nice and VERY helpful people on this site. Your ski shop doesn't know what they are talking about, if you want to find out...Go to sbol!"

They said thank you and told me they wanted to watch me take off. I picked the steepest part of the trail and laid down a hand dragger:-)
                            Sounds like Jesus converting followers to me...

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Originally posted by Manlenium View Post
                              Sounds like Jesus converting followers to me...
                              I just hope for Zach's sake they don't decide to revolt and nail him to his "trees"

Comment

Working...
                              X