X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with Salomon snowblades?

Hi,

I'm a relatively new skiboarder, and I bought some Salomon snowblades last year - you all seem not to like them, but I thought they were great.

Why do you not like them so much? (I don't mean to start a whinge against Salomon, i'm just genuinely curious and I dont know much about them)

Also, does anyone know if can I put normal bindings on them

Last edited by Greco; 07-11-2007, 06:35 AM.

Well....for starters they are not skiboards they are snow blades. Some others in here ride them too but most people don't care for solomon as a whole for various reasons. Mostly they are a ski manufacturer and they don't support the skiboarding industry at all. The boards themselves are more like ski's.The stance is not center and they have the 8 hole pattern for the bindings not 4. The tips and tails are not 50/50 (more like a ski) and their shape is more ski like as well. Those are just a few things. Like I said...everyone has their different opinions about Solomon. If you are just starting they wont be too bad but if you really start loving the sport like we do and you start advancing you will definitely want to upgrade to some better boards for sure. Anyway...thats my 2 cents....hope that helped ya a little bit bro.
    Live and ride like there's no tomorrow...because tomorrow might not be here for you.

Comment

Until you ride other boards, you won't realize what makes the salomon's worse. The major factors are the width, the binding, the binding position, the tip/tail size, and the foam core.

Width - The width of the salomon's are one of the worst things about them. They are very skinny compared to other boards. What does this do terminally to the ride? It makes it harder to float in soft snow, slush, and powder. It also makes for a slower ride because you have less surface area, so your weight is more directly pressed down, slowing the ride.

Binding - Salomon binding are notoriously poor compared to other bindings, especially all metal ones like the bombers, snojam extremes, and the old line bindings. The salomon's are made of soft plastic that, in my experiences and others, is notorious for pre-release at inappropriate times. I've had salomons come off while i was in the air several times.

Binding Position - Salomon doesn't center their bindings like most quality skiboards have. This affects the ride in many ways. One big factor is that it leaves much less board behind you to act as a safety cushion if you start leaning back. Get a little off balance, and you're on your ass. It also affects carving, and makes it much more difficult to ride backwards.

Tip/Tail Size - Being as skiboards are short, a high tip and tail is necessary to be able to power through some of the crud that is in the way. Without reasonable tips, you're much more prone to taking a faceplant forward, or land on the back of your head if riding backwards. Salomon traditionally has smaller tips than most boards, and tiny tails in comparassion.

Foam Core - No how far foam cores have come along, their use in skiboards is far from excellent. My first boards were the salomon SB-10s, and I broke several of them my first year. Foam cores just don't have the strength that wood cores have. At least in my experience, they are far much more prone to breaking, and tend to give a softer feel that doesn't let you control the ride as well.

These are some of the main complaints I have against salomons, and any skinny foam board in general, but until you ride other boards, you won't really have a feel for much of it. I thought my Salomons were great at first, until I got a chance to ride more quality boards. Also, there is no easy way to change the bindings on salomons that wouldn't greatly undermine the already weak strength of the boards.

Comment

thanks guys, it was interesting to hear your opinions, and I didn't know they had foam cores. it sounds like I'll use these to come up to speed (as it were), and then check out some 'proper' ones - which ones are better?
        Last edited by Officewallah; 09-24-2005, 01:27 PM.

Comment

check out the new Revel8's, SnowJams, Spruce and Loken
          new boards for 05/06 should be coming out very very soon ..i mean..SOON
          Last edited by Greco; 07-11-2007, 06:36 AM.
          -have you seen my poopie??

Comment

in short QFT for all the above threads
            need new skiboards fund 0/200 all donations are appreciated

to send money via paypal- go here www.paypal.com then send money to email - jcgeiser@gmail.com
            to send money via mail - send Check, Cash or Money Order to:

Christian Geiser
            3840 Tremont pl
            Ann Arbor, MI 48105 USA

thank you for your support

Comment

Originally posted by PureVenom
              Well....for starters they are not skiboards they are snow blades.
              Well, yes, and no. Snowblades are skiboards in the same way that Band-Aid is a bandage, Jet-Ski is a personal watercraft and Q-Tip is a cotton swab. The sad fact is that while the latter three name brands are well-respected, Snowblades just happen to fall in the "lower" ranks of the product offering.

And that's sad. Think about how much more easily skiboarding could be pushed if people referred to skiboards as "Nicks" or "Lyons" or some other great board made out there.

"Did ya see that guy out there riding those NICKS?"

Snowblades are cheap, easily acquired and also easy to learn on, but the problem with them is that most people reach the limits of those boards before they reach their own. If you want to ride faster, harder, land jumps safely, turn quicker, and power through the many things a mountain throws at you, the Snowblades will not "do it" with you.

The harder you push yourself on those blades, the more dangerous it gets. That's the problem.

If you're the type of person that will stay on the green circles all day, never rides a chair that disappears past the peaks, or decided to not go down a slope after looking "up" at it, Saloman snowblades just may be for you-they are for many people-that's fine for them, they're happy doing what they do.

If you're not and you want to explore more and demand more from the mountain, the boards, and yourself, check out just about any 4-hole mount boards here on this site. I started out with a 90cm. Then start moving towards the longer boards and see if they work for you.

They're all great boards and if they weren't, Greco wouldn't stock them.
              Last edited by zenderfall; 09-26-2005, 05:52 PM.
              Snow Jam 90TT

Comment

Wow guys. It's great for a business to be understood so well by it's customers. You all summed up perfectly why we don't carry Salomon. So well in fact I just added a 'Snowblade' section to SBOL pointing to this thread. Thanks.

Greco
                Rider / Owner - Skiboardsonline.com

SBOL | Salomon

Comment

Originally posted by Greco
                  Wow guys. It's great for a business to be understood so well by it's customers. You all summed up perfectly why we don't carry Salomon. So well in fact I just added a 'Snowblade' section to SBOL pointing to this thread. Thanks.

Greco
                  Rider / Owner - Skiboardsonline.com

SBOL | Salomon
                  lol love it greco why dont you stickie it?
                  need new skiboards fund 0/200 all donations are appreciated

to send money via paypal- go here www.paypal.com then send money to email - jcgeiser@gmail.com
                  to send money via mail - send Check, Cash or Money Order to:

Christian Geiser
                  3840 Tremont pl
                  Ann Arbor, MI 48105 USA

thank you for your support

Comment

good idea. consider it stuck.

g

Comment

I also ride snowblades sadly...i bought them before i really started getting into the whole skiboarding culture and realized the bad things about them. My next pair will definitely be something better, but im not doing any crazy tricks yet, i only really started last season, so it probably wont be a huge deal for a little while at least.
                      1999 Groove Retro 82cm

Days This Season - 9

Comment

Lucky me...I was here before I bought my first pair.

Comment

This is a common misconception: "i don't do tricks so i won't benefit from using good skiboards". Good skiboards are better for tricks AND just plain riding and carving. The 4 hole bindings allow more of the board to flex which equals better carving. Quality bindings make a better interface to your boots which equals more responsive boards, turns and carving.

sorry i just had to get this off my chest :-)

g

Originally posted by maxd1989
                          I also ride snowblades sadly...i bought them before i really started getting into the whole skiboarding culture and realized the bad things about them. My next pair will definitely be something better, but im not doing any crazy tricks yet, i only really started last season, so it probably wont be a huge deal for a little while at least.

Comment

Yeah, definately G. Thats why I hate on the other board when someone wants to carve, and they get reccemended atomics or salomons. It really gives them a misperception, especially when you could get a much better board like the bullets or spruces that are made with quality toward that kind riding.

Comment

Yes i know, but i bought mine before i even heard the term "Skiboard". Im a bit pissed about spending a couple hundred bucks on something that isnt exactly what i want and not being able to return them anymore (30 day returnable thingy is long expired). So...ill just have to stick it out this season until i can get a nice pair of Lokens or something next year.
                              1999 Groove Retro 82cm

Days This Season - 9

Comment

Working...
                              X