Wrecked my Summit Nomads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrecked my Summit Nomads

Went riding with my daughter today at the indoor slope - she was on Allz Elailas, I was was on Nomads.

I was happily cruising and just pushed off at the point where slope angle changes then voila! I hit the slope chest first - a tad painful. To make a long story short, the whole SP100 heel piece was torn out of the mounting holes on one of the boards. Not the kind of workmanship I would expect from boards that are only 19 months old.

Those who are familiar with Summit boards will know that they mount the releasable bindings directly onto the board. Thus photo shows the complete rip-out of all four mounting holes on the heel piece.

Close-up of one of the mounting holes, showing nearly no metal left from the insert.

The two rear mounting screws on the heel piece, still showing signs of the original glue used during mounting, but metal from the insert are attached. Screws protrude 5-6mm below the heel piece.

The good news:

There is no other damage to the board or the binding itself. I would not trust any shop in the UK to try to remount those bindings, but the 4x4 inserts are still there and untouched, so I can just put non-releasable on there and continue riding (or try to use a Spruce riser).

Was thinking of what to do with filling the other holes though. Maybe some marine epoxy or outdoor wood filler?
    Last edited by Greco; 03-10-2015, 11:16 AM. Reason: Stored and referenced the images locally
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

And this is why RVL8 and Spruce won't mount bindings straight to boards

Good to hear that the boards will still be usable. Marine epoxy should work great to fill those holes. Just keep an eye to make sure that there is always a seal across that topsheet to keep water out and prevent delamination.
    Last edited by Greco; 01-23-2015, 11:07 PM.
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

A Riser is the way to go. Easy enough to make a wooden one if you want to try before you buy. For filling the holes, you can use either epoxy or polyester resin. Polyester is readily available in Halfords. Epoxy is harder to find. Maplin offer various epoxy compounds in tube form, but they are glues really and a little thick for filling holes. Model shops also usually sell epoxy in small quantities.
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

Valmorel,

Would you use this stuff?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/unibond-re...od-280ml/33117
        Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
        Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
        Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

I'd try with araldite, I used that for repairing some damage in the ski surfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
            Valmorel,

Would you use this stuff?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/unibond-re...od-280ml/33117
            Probably not as that is a paste, and I would use something more liquid. Araldite would be better, especially if you warm it a little first as that makes it flow better, but a repair resin would be best. I think you can buy the resin and hardner component of this pack separately, which would be fine
            http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...k&iozone=PLPz1
            Go Android

Comment

Thanks. I'll pop off to Halfords this weekend.

Comment

Got video of the chest plant?

i'm glad you're OK. Boards are much easier to fix than 44 year old bones.

Comment

ysb33r,

Definitely glad you are OK. Sorry about your hardware. But if it were going to happen, better at an indoor facility where it just sort of sucks than 5km in the back country in shin to knee deep pow. One could argue this is a perfect reason to always have snowshoes strapped on your pack and a real transceiver (even if you are not licensed - emergencies are exactly that and you should IMMEDIATELY and shamelessly broadcast your circumstances. If you are carrying a transceiver but have no idea what to do just scan until you hear traffic, apologize and start gabbing. It will all work out. I promise. ). Walking out sucks big time but every single step is one step closer to civilization (meaning water, heat, food and medical attention).
                  "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Extract from the blurb about the new 2012 Summit Nomads
                    "Custom fit aluminum reinforcement mounting plate:
                    An upgrade this season is a thicker (1/16") and longer aluminum plate for enhanced retention for mounting release ski-type bindings. This set up provides maximum retention no matter what bindings you prefer to use (ours or yours).
                    "
                    Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                    Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                    Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
                      Extract from the blurb about the new 2012 Summit Nomads
                      "Custom fit aluminum reinforcement mounting plate:
                      An upgrade this season is a thicker (1/16") and longer aluminum plate for enhanced retention for mounting release ski-type bindings. This set up provides maximum retention no matter what bindings you prefer to use (ours or yours).
                      "
                      C'est la vie. I don't think I am buying Summit again. Got my eye on Spruce 120s, or the new backcountry version of the Sherpa.

On another note, I managed to do the repairs on the Nomads. I mounted a spare set of Merix AX-1 bindings I have, so I'll go and try them out when I get a chance in the next couple of weeks. At least I can lift my arm above my shoulder again without it hurting to much ...

Comment

Fixed them!

After fixing the original mounting holes with polyester resin, I had the SP100 binding spare. I remembered someone selling a skiboard riser on eBay which were designed for SP75/SP100 bindings. I can contacted him and he still had one left.

This is the riser:

I have no idea what the material is. At a first glance it looks like wood, but its not.

Riser mounted on the 4x4 inserts:

Attach the SP100 fixing plate to the mounting holes:

Next step is to mount the toe piece:

Note that the mid-section covers the 4x4 mounting screws. This is not a quick transfer - it requires the whole binding to be removed first.

Final task is to mount the heel piece, adjust for boot size and DIN setting:

Field test:

I fixed these about three months ago, but have not had a chance to try them out. Got a chance to spend about 45 minutes on them today as I met up with valmorel and gromit at MK Sno!Zone. I spent just over and hour on Rockered Condors before that so I was well warmed up. There was no problem getting the Nomads to purr again.

I actually think that they ride better now than with the direct mounted bindings.

The only drawback is that the riser adds quite a bit of weight - it even surprised valmorel. I'll think twice before packing them for a flight. However they might just become a loaner set due to the SP100's ease of adjustment.

Comment

We had a great time man... good to see you and your daughter rippin Xscape like that
                          Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                            I have no idea what the material is. At a first glance it looks like wood, but its not.
                            I think that the material may be Tufnol which is made from phenolic resin and woven cotton or linen fabric.
                            See also Wikipedia article on different types of phenol formaldehyde resins.

It was great to see you enjoying riding your new Rockered Condors so much. Your daughter also seemed to be having a good time on her Allz Elaila boards.
                            Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                            Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                            Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

"However they might just become a loaner set due to the SP100's ease of adjustment."

I bought a pair of these from Biggie275 to use on my loaners, they are a little heavy but ride fairly well. Won't ever replace the spruce setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X