Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Base length vs tip-to-tip vs running length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base length vs tip-to-tip vs running length?

What's the difference between the 3 different lengths in the skiboard specs table? Would this be a correct representation (hopefully my ASCII diagrams are clear)?

\______________________________________/

|«------------length along base-----------»|
         |«--------------tip-to-tip length-------------»|

Also, I notice Revel8, Allz and Snowjam have their advertised lengths as their base length, whereas Spruce's advertised lengths are actually the tip-to-tip length.

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
       Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
       Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
       Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
    Bindings
       Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
       Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
    Other
       Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
       Sims T22 Omen helmet

Tip to tip, or 'across the tips' is the measurement from one tip to the other, measured directly.
    Running length is the bit that touches the snow (hardpack not pow LOL)
    Base length or 'round the base' is the total length of the 'straightened' skiboard.
    As far as I know, R8 are measured using the 'straightened' formula whereas Spruce are measured tip to tip. Line were measured tip to tip, so a 99 Line is actually a tad longer than a R8 99.
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

Okay this makes more sense now, as I see the 103 Rumspringas and the 105 Revolts both have the same running length of 83cm. (Damn that seems short!)

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
         Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
         Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
         Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
      Bindings
         Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
         Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
      Other
         Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
         Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

Seems like 120-130 would be a perfect hybrid of skiboard and twin tip, i don't see any around though

Comment

The last time I was at Sugar Bowl, I was standing next to a guy with a reverse camber ski. I had just as much running length on my 120s as he did. It was interesting to see that. I wonder how that ski would feel to ride compared to my 120. Anyone try a reverse camber ski?

Wendell
          Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
          Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
          Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
          History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
            The last time I was at Sugar Bowl, I was standing next to a guy with a reverse camber ski. I had just as much running length on my 120s as he did. It was interesting to see that. I wonder how that ski would feel to ride compared to my 120. Anyone try a reverse camber ski?

Wendell
            I picked up a set of icelantic keepers this year (167cm) which are rockered tips/tails with regular camber underfoot. They ride like my longboards with more float but no where near as nimble.
            I'll try and post some comparison pics later.

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post

Wendell
              I spend some time riding a pair of 175 Armada JJ's, which are normal camber underfoot with rockered tips and tails. The contact length is very close to that of the Sherpas, and they do ride similarly on hardpack. Once you get into powder, they ride longer since the full ski is now in contact, so they make a nice hybrid for me on the deep powder days when I want to get that feeling of just flying along over the powder as opposed to the more playful surfy feel you get on skiboards.
              I do it because I can.
              I can because I want to.
              I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
              '08 KTPs

Comment

Originally posted by bri_guy View Post
                Okay this makes more sense now, as I see the 103 Rumspringas and the 105 Revolts both have the same running length of 83cm. (Damn that seems short!)
                While they are the same you must factor in the benefit of tip/tail lift.
                I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Working...
                X