Why do you skiboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you skiboard?

Today was my first outing of the season. I don't do tricks, I've never stepped into the park, I only do machine groomed runs. My last run of the day was one of Blue Mountain's blue square runs (first blue square I've done there in my life), and I have to say it was quite challenging. Most of the run was spent trying to just keep my footing and slow myself down, rather than having fun and skiing down in a controlled manner. It felt like I was just trying to survive the run down, rather than working on my form and control. There was one other guy there on Snowblades, but as always, 99% of everyone was skiing or snowboarding.

It seems that everyone in our community spends most of their time on jumps, boxes, backyard setups, etc. (at least from the videos I always see posted).

Are there any riders out there like me, who just like to do greens and blues (and the odd black diamond) as a simple alternative to skiing and snowboarding, to just get down the mountain?

I guess my experience out there today was a bit of a wake-up call, to re-question why I love this sport in the first place.

Why do you skiboard?
    Only the park!
    7.69%
    No park, just mountains for me.
    28.21%
    A little of everything.
    64.10%
    None of the above (please comment)
    0.00%

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
       Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
       Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
       Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
    Bindings
       Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
       Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
    Other
       Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
       Sims T22 Omen helmet

Oops-- The poll should have read: "What do you like to do on skiboards?"

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
    Bindings
    Other
       Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

I have never been in the park other than to take pictures of others much more capable than I am. I have only ski mountains and hills for the last 5 seasons, with no prior snow sliding experience.

Keep in mind that it was your first day of the season and you need to re-establish muscle memory and strength in muscles you have not used for a number of months. Not to mention the need to regain your confidence. A couple of more days of riding with the right conditions and you will back in your element.

BTW: Appropriate skiboard tuning can also make a big difference.

PS. I suspect it is a 50/50 split between park and mountain riders.
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I say a little of everything. My favorite thing to do is maneuver through wooded glades ... this season, I'd like to take that a step further and maybe combine glades with small drops ... working up to Paradise at Mad River Glen, or Kinsman's Glade at Cannon. These are little drops in the bucket for pro skiers, but come on, we have to start somewhere. Plus, the trails are pretty awesome.

Last season I started learning how to jump, and I'd like to go bigger this year. A 30-footer was the biggest, and I'd like to go bigger once I have some health insurance. A front flip is my big goal for stuntage. I'd also like to learn how to jib/grind effortlessly, but I plan on starting real small ... I have a phobia of being watched while failing.

Anyway, the above two I'd like to combine. My ideal skiing is through the trees, using the environment to have some fun. Grinding iced fallen trees, launching off rocks, dropping into powder ... basically just rolling with the punches and continue moving, in control of all my movements. Basically, I want to be a kung fu master on the slopes.

Comment

Briguy, I spend every friday night @ Blue Mountain starting in January. I don't spend any time in the park, I stick mostly to the blues there. My favourite runs are probably Smart Alex and Dr. Doug, both of which are blues. My friends (on snowboards) and I will bomb down Smart Alec and Tranquility (the two runs the silver bullet lift runs between) several times every night we go, but at the end of last year, we did range across all the trails for some variety. Unfortuantly the runs are pretty short, and you spend a lot of time in lift lines doing that. As for learning, I spent the night on the Graduate for my first few trips, getting comfortable with technique, and then progressed fairly rapidly from there. I was on snowblades at the time, and then last year transitioned to KTPs.

In terms of skills development, I found that I became a lot more comfortable on the hills in general one night after my glasses were fogging up inside my goggles making it so I couldn't see too much other than shapes in front of me. It made me realize that I was looking down at my feet, and that was holding me back, instead I needed to look ahead. Once I did that I saw noticeable improvements. I also skiied in colorado for a weekend after a work trip last year, and saw improvements from that experience as well.
          Last edited by dis; 12-11-2010, 03:16 AM. Reason: realized I had the lift name wrong

Comment

Last season with the conditions we had, I did lots of park, but as of right now, I haven't even hit the park once this season. Too much powdery goodness, to spend time there.
            2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Bri-Guy, I think you make a very valid point about the video available being very heavily weighted toward the park. I remember when I first started with skiboards finding it really difficult to find vid of guys just skiing the hill. But they are out there. From what I have seen at Shredfest I suspect that far more people use skiboards to ride the mountain and dont actually do any park at all. The nature of the sport here in Europe is that it is Snowblade based, probably because of availability, and, especially in France, you see a load of snowbladers, but never in the park. They all ski all mountain just fine.
              Me? So old now I just use my skiboards to get from one mountain restaurant to the next. Via glades, cliffs, and moguls
              Crossbow (go to dream board)
              Most everything else over time.
              Go Android

Comment

Wow, so I was totally wrong.. it looks like a lot of people really don't go into the park.

Right now I ride 103cm Rumspringas. If I want to progress only on the mountains (or "hills" as we have here in flat Ontario), what would be the next logical board for me to get? 105 Revolts? 120 Spruce?

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
                Bindings
                Other
                   Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

I use 101cm KTPs and find that they work well for me when it comes to all mountain boarding. I just bought a pair of ALPs that I'm excited to get a chance to try out soon as well.

Comment

Here ya go......
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6keTjtHtuwY
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzoOy...eature=related
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89h9u...eature=related
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEY8L...eature=related
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdX3m...eature=related
                    Go Android

Comment

Thanks for sharing, valmorel! Actually I think I can learn a lot about technique from these vids. I tend to stand more forward. Your stance looks a lot more natural.

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
                      Bindings
                      Other
                         Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

There is a nice follow shot, second video down on this page of Jjue proving Condors do just fine on piste
                        http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ight=shredfest
                        Go Android

Comment

Damn Jack, where is that clip of you skiing the steep off Granite Chief...

OK..... here we go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptKCP...layer_embedded
                          Go Android

Comment

Lots of great clips here: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ight=shredfest
                            Go Android

Comment

Guys... we need to start an 'All Mountain Vid Clips' thread, no park allowed LOL, and make it sticky. There are literally dozens of great clips spread all over the forum.
                              Go Android

Comment

Working...
                              X